• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 George Holmes

George Holmes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:22 PM

In playing around with the new version of RM6, I noticed the DataClean section. It says that it is in Beta at the moment. Is thee any indication that this might have other options. I noticed on one of my names which has a format of Surname/Sername what it does is to just take the "/" out and combine the name together. Instead I would like to have seen this have the options ot have Surname as the Name with sername being put into a separate new fact Alt Name

Has anyone else used the Data Clean feature? I also noticed it wasn't covered in the What's New section.

#2 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5695 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 12:00 AM

There was a note in early beta testing that It was taken out because it needed more work than could be done in the time allotted.
Alfred

#3 George Holmes

George Holmes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 12:07 AM

If it was taken out then why is it in the version I just got yesterday.

#4 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3099 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 04:08 AM

Maybe he decided to leave it in and accessible from Customize toolbar as a surprise for those who find it. It is beta so it should not be on the list of new features. And not all changes are always listed on the new features list..

I am not.sure Bruce could program spliting the surname you descibed into an Alternate name on DataClean as an Alternate name is entered as a fact not a name.

Laura

The following was overheard at a recent high society party...
"My ancestry goes all the way back to Alexander the Great," said one lady. She then turned to a second woman and asked, "How far does your family go back?"
"I don't know," was the reply. "All of our records were lost in the flood."
-on various web sites-

#5 George Holmes

George Holmes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 05:28 AM

If you have 2 given names he splits it out as I described with an alternate name given for the second given name.

#6 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2244 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 05:58 AM

If it was taken out then why is it in the version I just got yesterday.

Code is not removed when still in development, simply the route to running it not available, in this case that was not completely true.

I am not.sure Bruce could program spliting the surname you descibed into an Alternate name on DataClean as an Alternate name is entered as a fact not a name.

Anything can be programmed, in my opinion NameClean and PlaceClean need many more options, some custom, to best help overcome the bad individual habilt or data entry in the past. At least the Rootsmagician appears to be intent on helping this overcome the problem of bad data entry habits and as one who has cleaned a few gedcoms in his time there are many.

Being in Beta, and there are many issues, prevents a lot of complaints re it's current operation, althought I think there may be a few more beta testers out there now. <_<
Software Comparisons - Place Management - How other software packages stack up.
Media Gallery (a critical look) - Written when RM4 was introduced but still applies today.

Relaxation is the key to life and this is where I get some time to relax and catch up on my hobby and research s the key to life and this is where I get some time to catch up on me genealogy work and research

#7 snowathlete

snowathlete

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 07:56 AM

I noticed on one of my names which has a format of Surname/Sername what it does is to just take the "/" out and combine the name together. Instead I would like to have seen this have the options ot have Surname as the Name with sername being put into a separate new fact Alt Name

Couldnt agree more. I'm always cleaning up peoples bad gedcoms they send me and this is one of the things that I do is as George describes. Its the right way of doing it in my view.

#8 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5695 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 09:32 AM

My suggestion would be to remove it from the toolbar and quit using it, it isn't ready for release yet.

I am only guessing but the icon was probably left there as an oversight when the the link in the Tools menu was removed so they could do more work on it before release.
Alfred

#9 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3235 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 07:33 AM

I am trying out DataClean Beta, specifically NameClean and find I really have a need to have Edit Person in view to resolve whether I want to accept the proposed changes, modify the changes or skip. In fact, what I may prefer to do is actually make changes in Edit Person rather than through NameClean because I cannot see in NameClean which of possibly multiple names for that person it is flagging. Is it the primary or is it an alternate? Maybe in fixing a problem where the main surname of a wife is that of her husband I might want to add an Alternate Name of type Married. So I would wish that we could open Edit Person from the NameClean dialog and return to it to continue.

A small bug with punctuation is that NameClean proposed "Emma J .E." to fix "Emma J E".
Tom user of RM6306 FTM2014 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
Posted Imagewiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> Posted Image app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#10 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3099 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 01:28 PM

Since DataClean is in beta and I don't want to commit to using it on my main database, I copied my main database to a jump drive and renamed it DataClean Trial.

I run RootsMagic which is on the jump drive with that new database selected from the jump drive. This is the database I run DataClean from to test it out.

I then run RootsMagic on the laptop hard drive and select my main database. At the present, this is the database I am making any permanent changes to names or places in.

I use Window's side by side to tile both open RootsMagic programs vertically.

I can switch back and forth between databases and have both databases open to different screens.

As a start on checking names, I checked the "Only clean a person's primary name" box on the NameClean screen since I have so many Alternate names for my own use that will show up as having problems.

Whatever features DataClean has by the time it is no longer beta, I have already used it to clean up some names and places in my main database.
Laura

The following was overheard at a recent high society party...
"My ancestry goes all the way back to Alexander the Great," said one lady. She then turned to a second woman and asked, "How far does your family go back?"
"I don't know," was the reply. "All of our records were lost in the flood."
-on various web sites-