10 replies to this topic

#1 JPCarolus

JPCarolus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 05:40 PM

Not sure if this is the correct place to post this... I have a family member who was married in a civil ceremony at the courthouse in Sept 1997. After finalizing a Catholic annulment for the husband, the couple sacramentalized (not sure if that's the correct term) their marriage with a ceremony in the Catholic church. I've entered the 1997 marriage date for the civil ceremony, and a marriage fact for the 1999 church ceremony. But they print the other way around on the FGS-i.e. not chronologically. How can I fix this?

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6111 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:33 PM

Enter the civil ceremony as a Marriage fact?

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 Andy Hatchett

Andy Hatchett

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:32 PM

The civil ceremony was the actual event that, by law, created the marriage.

The religious ceremony was merely that and created no marriage and should be recorded that way rather than as the marriage fact.

#4 JPCarolus

JPCarolus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:36 PM

I think I'm confused...I used the marriage date field for the civil ceremony. Then for the religious ceremony, I clicked on the "Add a Fact" button in the "Edit person" screen and there are two different marriage facts available in the list to add-one is personal and one is family. (Not something added by me, btw, I haven't figured out how to do that yet.) I thought these additional "marriage facts" were for additional info related to the marriage? (i.e. for golden anniversary celebrations, etc.) Where should I be recording the religious ceremony if not here?

#5 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:51 PM

There is no personal marriage fact!

I guess that one could have been added by the user or imported from someone who added it.

Both the civil and church marriages should use the standard family marriage fact. Then they will sort chronologically.

Where one is personal, it will be in the personal facts while the family one will be included with the family facts.
Alfred

#6 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 04:34 AM

Go to Lists, Fact type list and highlight and edit each of those facts and check the name. A user defined fact's name can be edited. A program defined fact cannot.

#7 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1597 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 07:05 AM

To distinguish between the civil and the church marriage, would be to have the description activated in the Fact List for marriage and then your sentence can be more specific of the differences. RM sorts by date when you use the same fact/event Also when you do the Church marriage, place details could be or in my case would be the name of the Church. The civil marriage would also have place details if you knew where the marriage took place.

Genealogy:
"I work on genealogy only on days that end in "Y"." [Grin!!!]
from www.GenealogyDaily.com.
"Documentation....The hardest part of genealogy"
"Genealogy is like Hide & Seek: They Hide & I Seek!"
" Genealogists: People helping people.....that's what it's all about!"
from http://www.rootsweb....nry/gentags.htm
Using FO and RM since FO2.0 

#8 JPCarolus

JPCarolus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 12:47 PM

I haven't added ANY user defined facts, so where did these two marriage facts come from?

#9 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 04:06 PM

Someone added the Personal/Individual Marriage fact. You may have imported it from a gedcom from someone else or you created it and forgot.

The only programmed marriage fact RM has is the family marriage fact.

You can create a new database and go to the fact list to see RM's preprogrammed facts.

#10 JPCarolus

JPCarolus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 02:36 PM

The only thing I can figure out is that it came over from FTM when I moved to RM. I don't download shared GEDCOM files and I know I haven't made any user defined facts. (I haven't been using RM that long that I think I would remember.)

#11 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:45 AM

Then that is your answer. It was used in your FTM database and was imported into RM when you imported the FTM database.

Any fact from another program that will not import as one of RM's preprogramed facts is imported as a user defined fact.