• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 dddriever

dddriever

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 03:15 PM

I was hoping the new update would solve this problem but it still appears. The first ancestor on my Photo Tree Report will not appear or print. All others are included. I have checked the links and they are all correct. The files are .jpg. Why will only one photo not load? Please help. Dianne

#2 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 05:46 PM

Is the box for Primary photo checked?

Go to the person's Edit Person window and click in the photo column to the right of his/her name.
That should bring up the Media Album.
Click once on the photo you want to use as the primary.
Go to the right and click on Edit Tag
At the lower left there are two check boxes.
Make sure there is a check in the Primary Photo box.
Alfred

#3 dddriever

dddriever

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 08:11 PM

Thanks Alfred, you have helped me get closer to a solution. When I click on the Edit Tag for this person's media there are NO two check boxes. I looked at the other people on my Photo Tree and ther ARE check boxes. How can I solve this problem? Shall I delete this person and then re enter his information? Or will that goof up the rest of my tree? Thank you so much for your help.

#4 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 10:12 PM

I cannot find a media item without the two check-boxes so I am at a loss.

I do not think that deleting the person will do you any good, and it might be difficult to get him/her back in place correctly.
I would suggest that you link the media item again and try setting the Primary tag for the new one.

It is easy to do a new link for an existing media item.
With the item selected, a little red box around it, go to the right and click on the "Tag Media" button.
Make sure "Person" is in the tag type field and the person's name is in the Person field.
Put a check-mark in the "Primary photo for this person" box and click the OK button, another OK then a Close.

HMMMM, if no photo is marked as the primary, no picture shows up for the person on the main screen either.
It is getting curiouser and curiouser. :unsure:
Alfred

#5 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8314 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:05 AM

When you do not see the check box to include the media in the scrapbook or set at the primary photo it indicates that you did not add the image with the media type "Image". More than likely you added it as a file. You will need to delete the image from the Media Gallery and then add it with the media type "Image". There is no other way in the program to change the media type.
Renee
RootsMagic

#6 dddriever

dddriever

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 05:39 PM

That fixed the problem. Thanks for helping out a beginner. Dianne

#7 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6145 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:23 PM

A very simple series of SQLite queries could correct the media type for all files attached to the Media Gallery. This one could set files with the extensions in the list to Image type:
UPDATE MultimediaTable SET MediaType=1 WHERE LOWER(SUBSTR(MediaFile,-3)) IN ('bmp','gif','jpg','png','tif');
I don't know the complete set of file extensions/file types that RM recognises as image files but it does support these. Similar ones could be used for sound, video and other file types.

I cannot think of a reason why one would want to force RM to treat one type of file as a different type so I would suggest that a tool to 'Normalise file types' in the Media Gallery should be included to help those who unwittingly added files as the wrong type and have encountered complications as a result.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.