Photo

Confused on new mapping capabilities--did this integrate Family Atlas features?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 bookwalk

bookwalk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:38 AM

I was hoping I would not need to run 2 programs to "map" a person's facts and family events? It sounded like this would finally integrate the features of Family Atlas (has that been upgraded lately) to see a map of a person's events?

If it has, I cannot find that feature or where to see how to map a person's timeline--is it in that tab? I just cannot find it?

Thanks for any help on this.

#2 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3303 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:44 AM

Go to Tools > Mapping, change the drop down from Places to People and select the person you want to map. It goes without saying it will only map events that are geocoded.

“Your most unhappy customers are your greatest source of learning.” -Bill Gates

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.5.8, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5 (in order of preference)

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#3 bookwalk

bookwalk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:02 PM

Thanks very much--that's what I needed.

I see they still haven't fixed the People list--showing birth years so if you have same names, you can tell which ancestor you want to choose--I have several same names in my database and I can only "guess" which one to choose--it should be the same as any other Index list in RootsMagic--showing at least a birthyear.

#4 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6083 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:11 PM

Since showing Birth Year in the Sidebar Index is an option, and Birth, Marriage and Death Dates and Places are shown for the currently selected person in the person pane for all the Main Views, and Birth Date and Place can be viewed in People View, is there really a need for Birth Year to be affixed to the Name in People View? And, beware, Birth Year as shown in the Index and used elsewhere can get out of sync with the Birth Fact after some operations, which is one reason you need to run Rebuild Index from time-to-time.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#5 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:52 PM

I add an Alternate name fact to same name people with identifying data in the Suffix and mark the Alternate name fact as Private.

John Smith - Suffix: [pt=Nathanial and Mary Jane Smith]
John Smith - Suffix: [lived NC, TN, AR, NM, OR]
John Smith - Suffix: [w=Janice Ann Wood, ch=Jimmy, Ruth, Samuel]
John Smith - Suffix: [Top of the hill farm]

pt=parents, w=wife, ch=children

If the data Suffix data of the Alternate Name fact does not give me the data to identify that person and I have to look further, I change it to include the data that did tell me who that person is.

I seldom need to look farther than the Alternate name and it has saved me many more hours of time than it took me to add the Alternate name to same name people or the time it takes to do all the comparing of same name people every time.

With the Alternate name option checked for the Sidebar and People view, it makes it really easy to pick out the person I want.

In People view, I set the Sidebar to Family which makes it even easier as I can then see the parents, siblings, wives and children. And I can customize that view to show other identifying facts to the People view, Birth date/place, Death date/place, Burial Place, Occupation, Residence, etc.

I can also create a Group of the people with the same name and use that as a filter for the people shown on the People view.

If I need even more information, I can switch back and forth from the People view to the Timeline view or Pedigree or Family view.

If I have the Timeline view set to show parents, siblings, spouses, children, I usually have all the data I need to decide if I have the right person. If not, I may have to check the Pedigree view.

#6 bookwalk

bookwalk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:40 PM

Since showing Birth Year in the Sidebar Index is an option, and Birth, Marriage and Death Dates and Places are shown for the currently selected person in the person pane for all the Main Views, and Birth Date and Place can be viewed in People View, is there really a need for Birth Year to be affixed to the Name in People View? And, beware, Birth Year as shown in the Index and used elsewhere can get out of sync with the Birth Fact after some operations, which is one reason you need to run Rebuild Index from time-to-time.

In the Mapping tool, there is no option to show Birth year and If I have several instances of John Smith, I cannot easily choose the correct John Smith to show in the map--I would have to hover over all the red pins to see which one was mine, so don't be confused with People View in the Master Index or People VIew, this is ONLY in the Mapping View.

#7 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6083 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:03 PM

I'm with you now. Yes, every good reason for it to have the various options, display RIN or REFN after name, DoB, display Alternate Names so that Laura's practices would work!

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#8 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3303 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 04:24 PM

In the Mapping tool, there is no option to show Birth year and If I have several instances of John Smith, I cannot easily choose the correct John Smith to show in the map--I would have to hover over all the red pins to see which one was mine, so don't be confused with People View in the Master Index or People VIew, this is ONLY in the Mapping View.

I agree and I think i published this back in RM4.

http://www.vyger.co....ic/mapping.html

“Your most unhappy customers are your greatest source of learning.” -Bill Gates

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.5.8, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5 (in order of preference)

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#9 Jack

Jack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 04:26 PM

Go to Tools > Mapping, change the drop down from Places to People and select the person you want to map. It goes without saying it will only map events that are geocoded.

Hey! That's cool! I'm impressed!
Jack

a posteriori

#10 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8206 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:51 PM

Confirming enhancement request is in our tracking system.
Renee
RootsMagic