Photo

All these paid upgrades and still no way to sort facts/events alphabetically--only by date?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 bookwalk

bookwalk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:33 AM

I had put this in the suggestion list eons ago and it is such an obvious and needed research tool--again, I am having to use two Genealogy programs--one that does do this sorting and RM for its clean interface with FamilySearch.

I wouldn't think it would be such a difficult thing to do?

Just add sortability on Fact type.

Thanks!

#2 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3303 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:39 AM

I don't mean to be negative or stupid but why would you want it?. Life events do happen on chronological order so thats why they appear as such

One exception is the valid point about sorting Chr, Birth correctly when they happen on the same date, another one is for Death, Burial but I must admit I do not recall ever reading this request before. That being said I would not imagine it would be top of the list of enhancements for RM, but maybe I'm missing something. :rolleyes:

“Your most unhappy customers are your greatest source of learning.” -Bill Gates

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.5.8, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5 (in order of preference)

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#3 bookwalk

bookwalk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:54 AM

Sorting by event type (and then within the event or fact type, by date) helps find particular types of events for research purposes, avoiding duplication of search efforts along a particular category by easily finding it--I have a large number of facts for several ancestors and often need to find which I am missing, when I happen on a new research source. It also helps me direct my research, when I see a particular fact missing. There are many other reasons--other family history software have this feature.

#4 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6080 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:03 PM

RM provides tools to list persons missing certain fact types, search persons without a fact type or with a fact type having some date, description. As most evidence has a date of some sort, sorting by date seems to be the most natural way of looking at a person. That said, the Timeline View practically invites the option of sorting on any column; maybe that would answer your need. I guess the same thing could be done on the corresponding columns in Edit Person and RM Explorer. In any case, I think the default should be chronological.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#5 bookwalk

bookwalk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:45 PM

RM provides tools to list persons missing certain fact types, search persons without a fact type or with a fact type having some date, description. As most evidence has a date of some sort, sorting by date seems to be the most natural way of looking at a person. That said, the Timeline View practically invites the option of sorting on any column; maybe that would answer your need. I guess the same thing could be done on the corresponding columns in Edit Person and RM Explorer. In any case, I think the default should be chronological.

Default, yes, can be chronological, but it would be nice to have a choice of sorting on type right in the person's summary edit page--without having to go through all sort of steps to find persons missing certain fact types, etc, when I just need to see a person's facts sorted by type--very simple, direct and less confusing.

#6 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3299 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:55 PM

That said, the Timeline View practically invites the option of sorting on any column; maybe that would answer your need.

Agreed.

Even with the wonderful new Timeline View enhancements in RM6, Timeline View still holds much promise of additional enhancements. That's very much a compliment, not a a complaint.

For sure, sorting by any column or columns in Timeline View would be a really useful feature. And I don't think it would be much of a stretch to have the capability to enter or change certain information directly in the Timeline View grid without having to open the Edit Fact sub-window - sort of like typing into an Excel spreadsheet.

Jerry

#7 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 03:15 PM

I am playing with using the new Enhanced Timeline features and the Note, Source, ToDo, Media, etc., icons on the upper right of the screen under the toolbar.

You can access other items that are linked to the person that does not have a specific box or button on the Enhanced timeline by clicking on one of those icons, Address, ToDos, and Research logs as long as they already have one of those items linked.

There is not yet an icon for Webtags. Which should probably be a new wish.

The Edit person screen would be need to be opened to add an address, a ToDo or Research Log if the person doesn't have a new one or to view or add Webtags. It would also need to be opened to link a new note or source to a family, their own or their parents.

When you Add task for a ToDo to a person from the Edit person screen or by clicking on the icon in the upper left corner, a new screen comes . It asks if you want to add the ToDo to the person, family with names of spouses, or the parent's family ToDo. I really like that new feature.

The main part of what I normally do when opening the Edit person screen for the focus person is now available from the Enhanced timeline or upper icons on the main screen.

#8 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8202 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:42 PM

Confirming enhancement requests are in our tracking system.
Renee
RootsMagic