9 replies to this topic

#1 Jack

Jack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:44 AM

How do I get the forward and backward arrows out of the search menu and onto the tool bar?
Jack

a posteriori

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6131 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:33 AM

I don't think you can if, by "Search menu", you mean the top part of RootsMagic Explorer; the forward(next) and backward(previous) arrows are functional only in this window. You cannot even get at the main screen Toolbar when RM Explorer is open. If you want to work in a Main view from a list of results of a search, then use the Named Group tool to create a group based on your search criteria and display that group in the Sidebar.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 dodie

dodie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:47 AM

Just go to the end of the toolbar and click. a box saying add or remove will open. Go to customize and right click, another box will open.Go to commands then search.. Put curser on back button right click and hold curser button down. drag the button to the tool bar.Do the same with forward button.

#4 Jack

Jack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:08 AM

Dodie, that doesn't work for me. I had exhausted all of those moves before I threw in the towel with my query.

TomH, I think you're correct. Instead of adding mouse clicks, I think we should be minimizing them!
Jack

a posteriori

#5 Ludlow Bay

Ludlow Bay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 865 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:47 AM

Dodie, that doesn't work for me. I had exhausted all of those moves before I threw in the towel with my query.

TomH, I think you're correct. Instead of adding mouse clicks, I think we should be minimizing them!

You have to drag & drop them somewhere into the middle of all the other existing buttons. Dropping them off to the right, in the unused space, does not work.

#6 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:55 AM

Keyboard shortcuts for Back and Forward are Ctrl+Left and Ctrl+Right. No mouse clicking.

On Help, the customizing toolbar article is under Toolbar, Customizing.

#7 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6131 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:55 AM

The Forward and Back buttons available to the Toolbar are to navigate through the History list, not through search results. If that's what you want, they can be added to the Toolbar as Dodie and Ludlow Bay describe, except left-click-hold-drag and don't release on top of a drop-down list or it will go into the list.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#8 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3369 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:42 PM

The Forward and Back buttons available to the Toolbar are to navigate through the History list, not through search results.

Correct.

I don't know if the ability to do "Next" and "Previous" searches from the main menu or main toolbar have ever been wished for officially on the wish list, but I do informally wish for them quite frequently. I suspect that to implement this capability might require some rather jarring internal changes to RM. The "Next" and "Previous" capabilities are quite specific to the Search environment in RM Explorer. It might be a bit tricky to transplant the same capability to the main menu or the main tool bar. To be most effective in the "main" environment, "Next" and "Previous" would need to work with a single click or a single keystroke. If putting this capability in the "main" environment involved dropdown boxes or anything like that, then very little would have been gained.

Jerry

#9 Jack

Jack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 04:17 PM

Dropping them off to the right, in the unused space, does not work.

That was my problem...trying to drop them at the end.

Thanks!
Jack

a posteriori

#10 Jack

Jack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 04:19 PM

The Forward and Back buttons available to the Toolbar are to navigate through the History list, not through search results.

Tom, that's exactly what I want. I dislike opening and closing that little hole on the left side.
Jack

a posteriori