5 replies to this topic

#1 gerwally

gerwally

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 05:47 AM

Can you have both RM5 and RM6 on the same computer?

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6086 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:10 AM

Yes. But the .rmgc file extension will be associated with the last one installed so, assuming that is RM6, when you open a RootsMagic database file from Windows Explorer, RM6 will be launched. If the database file is in RM5 format, you will get an "are you sure" sort of message before the file is irreversibly updated. RM5 will not open RM6 database files.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:46 AM

But, if you always start either RootsMagic with the program's unique shortcuct, and you have set it's file options so they are each unique, it will keep it's to own files.

I have RootsMagic 3, 4, 5 and 6 all on this computer and can run any one of them or all of them at once with no conflicts.
Alfred

#4 Totnor

Totnor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 03:01 AM

I have Vvs. 4,5 & 6 on my computer also! Absolutely no problem with that.

#5 BobBatty

BobBatty

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 06:16 PM

In reading the posts, no data has been lost between RM5 to RM6. I personally believe the latest version is the only version to run. Bob Batty

#6 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6086 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 07:09 PM

Some of us keep older versions to check whether a feature has been added, changed or lost. I still have Family Origins 9 which runs blazingly fast on contemporary hardware although it crashes, too.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.