43 replies to this topic

#21 Ken Rury

Ken Rury

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:50 PM

1) On Publish Online, when I select Privatize living people, I had some people show up that were living. I realized that I had inadvertantly unchecked the Living box on those people. If you find that to be the case you can reset them manually or use the Tools, Set Living..., which will reset the flags. You have to decide what logic you want to use for that, based on having death date only or also if birth was before a certain year roots web allows no earlier than 1930, but you may want to go 90 or 100 years back to be safe. There are tips in the forums on how to use this. If you have manually set a lot of people, you may not want to use this feature as it will reset them.

2) When you choose a person from the web page and it takes you to that persons page, it should reset your view to the top of the page, rather than being left at the bottom.

4) I have a 23" monitor on Win7 using IE9 and the margin extends beyond the screen as others have mentioned, but this particularly a problem in the Notes and Index when the scroll bar is off the page and it's not obvious how to see the rest of the information.

5) Tip that might work for those that want to add a link to their main branches, is after you publish you can copy those links and then add them to your Home page links the next time you publish. Unfortunately since the online doesn't use the db record #, it may not always be the same each time. Otherwise I find it hard for people to go many pages down in the index to get where they want to go. Might be nice to have a Link section to key individuals, where you could let us choose individuals from the index to include in that section. When published you would change the link to point to the published webpage. The other way to solve that would be if there was a search feature like on Rootsweb, which could take you to an individual much faster.

6) When managing the Account, there is no Ok button when undone, seems strange to just cancel the screen. Also it's confusing that when you choose delete from there it only deletes the online directory and not the local directory. As others mentions when you go to publish it says its still there. You may just want to clarify that you are deleting only the online version.

7) Would be nice if the Pedigree Chart started with the Root person, otherwise I am not sure there is a reason to include it on the Home menu, you really need to go through the index and find the person first.

8) When you see the "Your Information Has Been Uploaded" screen, it would be nice if the link to your new site was a hyperlink or something you could copy, would save people errors manually retyping it.

9) When using "Check site status" it's not obvious that the Processing (%) is a static number and that you need to click OK and check again. Maybe there could be a Recheck button, next to OK, so you don't have to close and rerun.

Great first effort, but until you solve the privacy issue I can't use the web feature the way I would like.

#22 J P

J P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 02:54 AM

Thanks for adding your observations, JP. On the printing of the Individual and Family pages from iOS, are you seeing Notes and Endnotes or just what you see on screen?

No, I do get the notes and endnotes - and all are formatted OK other than I again get the green background strip down the right hand edge (but beyond any of the text).

#23 J P

J P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 01:43 PM

Yesterday, when I explained what happened with iOS (iOS6) printing from an iPad2 using Safari, I was actually creating a PDF on the Mac and reporting how that looked. Suddenly realised I should try printing directly to my Mac printer (rather than to a virtual printer). This works, sort of. What actually happens is that there is a pop-up on the iPad saying "check the printer for errors" with an option to cancel or continue, though if one waits a bit, it prints successfully before either reply. If you press cancel quickly, it seems to cancel the output but if you are not quick enough, you may get a blank sheet produced.

The contents of the printout are identical to that in the PDF file sent to the virtual printer.

So, there is something slightly wrong but it "works".

The backround dark green background "border" on the right hand side of the page that I explained earlier as appearing in the PDF "printer" output also appears on the direct printout.

ADDITION: It seems that I get the "check the printer for errors" when printing from other websites in iOS Safari, so it doesn't look like that specific problem is anything to do with RootsMagic.

#24 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6218 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:19 PM

Thanks, JP, it was printing from the iPad I was wondering about. While I have an iPad 2, I have no means of printing from it and it has no print preview or print to PDF capability through which one might view the whole report rather than just the HTML version. I think this needs to be addressed to achieve widest accessibility.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#25 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8414 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:31 AM

Confirming issues and enhancement request have been added to our tracking system.

I know I say that all the time, but this is mainly a recording keeping method for me so I know where I left off on an issue or thread in the forums.
Renee
RootsMagic

#26 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8414 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:39 AM

4) I have a 23" monitor on Win7 using IE9 and the margin extends beyond the screen as others have mentioned, but this particularly a problem in the Notes and Index when the scroll bar is off the page and it's not obvious how to see the rest of the information.

What is the screen resolution set to for your monitor?
Renee
RootsMagic

#27 dandoty1954

dandoty1954

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 06:38 PM

I am brand new & have successfully installed version 6 & did the publish online & saw my "sample" page. But now I can't get back on?? Help me please. When I go to the "Internet" tab & click publish & then manage, when i click login it goes to some strange "page" that starts with this <! DOCTYPE HTML Public What am I doing wrong?

#28 Bushia

Bushia

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 10:13 AM

I'm having the same problem as dandoty1954. When I go to upload my tree I get a page of code instead of info about upload progress. I was replacing an existing tree--all went well until I tried to upload it. Darn....I wanted to announce the updated tree at a family party later today.....urghhhhhhh!!!!!

#29 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6218 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 11:01 AM

I just tried to login and get the same error message. I have had an account since RM6 came out. This is a problem common likely to all, being a fault at the server. However, it continues to serve up already established websites. I don't know how one contacts the administrator outside of Tech Support working hours.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#30 Bushia

Bushia

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:11 AM

Thanks for the input, I too have had an account pretty much since it came out---put up the website the day I got it and now I want to change it (after fixing some of the problems that I found using the super nice timeline!), I've got a call into them right now---will let everyone know what they tell me.

#31 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8414 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:44 AM

The issue with the server and the my.rootsmagic.com websites have been resolved. We apologize for the inconvenience. Alan has automated some processed to prevent the same problem again.
Renee
RootsMagic

#32 Bushia

Bushia

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:28 AM

Just talked to Roots Magic. Apparently there is a problem that started this weekend. They are working on it now and they suggested that I wait until this afternoon and then try to upload a new website.

#33 Ken Rury

Ken Rury

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:16 PM

What is the screen resolution set to for your monitor?

1680x1050

#34 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8414 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:15 AM

I will pass that info along to development to work on.
Renee
RootsMagic

#35 cliffofamily

cliffofamily

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 10:44 PM

New kid on the block-----I have just published my tree to the website, privatized, and have noticed that all "Living" people "Individual Details" and their notes are indeed privatized, but "Family" notes of the "birth parents" appear in the Family Group Sheet for those "Living" people. Have I left a box unticked?
Love RM6 and the website.

#36 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8414 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 11:50 AM

I'm trying to recreate this and haven't had any luck. Could you open a support ticket and give us the link to were you see this happening.

http://support.roots...us_requests/new
Renee
RootsMagic

#37 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 01:58 PM

If you really want something private, export a GEDCOM and privatize that to the extent you want, then import it into a new database and go from there.
I did see some names of living people in the notes and sources of the non living. Such as John Dow was survived by his son James and his daughter Martha (Smith)

==== Hmmm, John Dow could be a distant cousin of John Doe, you know how these name get misunderstood at times <_< ===
Alfred

#38 Glenn

Glenn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 10:56 PM

==== Hmmm, John Dow could be a distant cousin of John Doe, you know how these name get misunderstood at times <_< ===

Sure! Census enumerators and intake interviewers at Ellis Island and other ports of entry wrote down what they heard.
Case in point: Mother’s cousin married Joseph Cornelius Bisig (b. 1899) and the census informant obviously gave the name as Joe C. as show on the census image
Josie Bisig 7/12 Relation to Head of House: Daughter
How interesting: I only did some C/P and the name ends up in this message as a hyperlink! :huh:

Oops! I just noticed you were making a statement, not asking a question! Sorry, Alfred ^_^

Good real estate may be based on location, location, location;
but
good sources are based on citation, citation, citation!

Glenn

#39 cliffofamily

cliffofamily

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 05:41 PM

Further to my question above 21 Dec - New kid on the block - I edited my tree to remove the family notes and attempted to replace the tree on the website. Everything appeared to work normally but when I checked the website, the notes in question were still there!
I then deleted the website but it did not delete and went to "Home" as normal. Clicking on "Name Index" produced a 403 Forbidden message. Pedigree Chart appeared as normal.
Clicking on "Individual Page" produced a 403 Forbidden message, but family group sheets for the home person and next gen ancestors (parents) displayed normally. Further ancestors showed blank details.
My browser is Firefox. I tried IE could not access at all - 403 Forbidden message. Is the problem related to Firefox?
A little difficult to accurately describe.
Thank you &Merry Christmas All

#40 Ludlow Bay

Ludlow Bay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 867 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 05:45 PM

Clear your browser cache and see if the problem is resolved.

Instructions here: http://support.mozil...r-firefox-cache

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Publish online, website, issues