8 replies to this topic

#1 snowathlete

snowathlete

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:56 PM

Someone has sent me a gedcom. It contains dates with hyphens in them, which as far as I am aware, is not permisable under the gedcom standard.

Still, they are there, and on import RM just leaves them alone. Is there some way that RM can convert these for me? As i write this, i think the answer must already be no, so the follow on question would be, can anyone suggest a workaround?

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6083 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 03:56 PM

RM does support dates with a hyphen to represent a range of time. Try entering such a valid RM date, export the person to standard, barebones GEDCOM, inspect how the date is represented in that GEDCOM and compare it to the hyphenated dates in the foreign GEDCOM. Perhaps there is a systematic pattern that could be used with a regular expression search and replace text editor to modify your foreign GEDCOM so that it imports as valid date ranges into RM.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3303 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 04:30 PM

You could go to Lists > Fact Types > Print and select Facts wth Text Dates to produce a report of non recognised dates in RM.

I have wished before and do again that the options under the above UI were also available as search options so users could easily work through such issues.

“Your most unhappy customers are your greatest source of learning.” -Bill Gates

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.5.8, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5 (in order of preference)

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#4 snowathlete

snowathlete

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 05:19 PM

RM does support dates with a hyphen to represent a range of time.

Your right Tom of course, but these are in this format 1943-12-23

Perhaps there is a systematic pattern that could be used with a regular expression search and replace text editor to modify your foreign GEDCOM so that it imports as valid date ranges into RM.

A good idea. I swapped out the hyphens for spaces. 1943 12 23 but on import they look just like that. i.e. not converted to the standard format for my database (23 Dec 1943). They are still seen as text.

You could go to Lists > Fact Types > Print and select Facts wth Text Dates to produce a report of non recognised dates in RM.

Thanks Vyger. I didnt know you could do that. Very helpful. Yes, all these dates are still considered text by RM.

#5 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6083 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 06:55 PM

A RM GEDCOM exports a date in the form:
2 DATE 9 MAR 2011
I presume that your foreign GEDCOM would have that as
2 DATE 2011-03-09
or
2 DATE 2011-3-09
or
2 DATE 2011-3-9
, none of which comply with GEDCOM 5.5 which requires:
2 DATE 09 MAR 2011
One could use a series of regular expression search and replace operations to make the transformation, I think. There will be one for each month plus one to reorder/reformat.

If this is too complex for you, I think I could do it. PM me if you want to exchange email addies.

SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#6 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6083 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 06:58 PM

Alternatively, a series of SQLite queries could convert these text dates to dates in the database itself, I think.

#7 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8206 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 06:59 PM

I have wished before and do again that the options under the above UI were also available as search options so users could easily work through such issues.

Confirming enhancement request is in our tracking system.
Renee
RootsMagic

#8 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6083 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:48 PM

I had a look at the problem and it turns out to be bifurcated:
- some dates in the yyyy-mm-dd are imported as text
- some dates in the same format are accepted as valid but are converted erroneously

Family Tree Maker 2012 imports them all correctly and its export is GEDCOM compliant and accepted by RM6 without error.

#9 snowathlete

snowathlete

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 08:06 AM

As Tom says, he looked into this for me and helped me work around the problem (thanks again Tom!), but the translation that RM does to such data is significantly erroneous.
2 DATE 1808-02-11 for example, should ideally get translated by RM to a. the correct format (02 Nov 1808), or b. at least treated as text and left as is (1808-02-11) but instead c. it is converted erroneously to 16 Feb 2011.

As Tom says above, some other dates in this same format are treated as b. for whatever reason.