#1 Bizegrama

Bizegrama

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 01:34 PM

I have some questions related to RM6:

I have been using RM4 over my TMG7 (user of TMG from the DOS days), but I am disappointed that the person event screen in RM does not show the birth of children nor does the family screen show other events such as military service, etc. In TMG it shows all the events including the children, military service, marriages, etc. Seeing all the information allows for better assessment of future research. Am I just not setting some right? Is this something that is corrected in RM6?

Another item I miss in RM is the ability to click on a parent in the person event screen, one has to back out to get to the parent and go to the Family screen. Frequently a marriage record may have information related to where parents were born, etc and it is tedious to keep backing out to get to the parent. Is this resolved in RM6 or possible for future versions?

Will RM ever allow the photo to be stored in the program? I thought I had saved a photo in the program, but then found out it is stored on media outside the program. So when trying to print a copy I must have my external had drive hooked up (or other location of photo).

I do like the format for sources that RM has developed, and many other features, but wish some of these items could be resolved or make it option within RM.

Thank you for your help in advance.

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5995 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:03 PM

I think the Live Timeline view addresses your wants about having vital facts about family members show with the individual's facts and accessing a family member from that view (besides being able to do so from any view by setting the sidebar to Family). I think Timeline View is a marvellous response to longstanding wishes to flatten or de-click the user interface.

RM will never store photos in its database file, I hope along with other veterans of programs that did or do. Even Family Tree Maker no longer does. To do so bloats the file and slows disk based database operations. What is desirable is for RM to backup a database and all its associated media files to a single backup file. You could do this indirectly, more or less, by running Create a Shareable CD, stopping before actually writing the disc, and zipping the entire temporary folder it creates.

Download the free RM6 Essentials and work on a copy of your database with it to see if there are any other issues that are showstoppers for you.

Edited by TomH, 20 November 2012 - 02:04 PM.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.