I cannot claim that I have had sufficient time to rigorously ‘track-test’ v6.
However, my first impressions lead me to question whether RootsMagic is becoming a little like those has-been rock bands which habitually seem to release new albums at the run up to Christmas that turn out to be essentially rehashed collections of earlier tracks with – if you’re lucky – one or two previously unreleased additions (that probably were not considered good enough earlier).
Not to be too cynical, the new program does offer some welcome new features:
- the ‘live time view’ is a significant addition and the ability to edit from this screen will undoubtedly prove useful
- the ‘find everything’ facility helpfully addresses concerns that I and others have expressed about previous shortcomings in how searches could be conducted and, in particular, allows text associated, for example, with media items to be included
- I’ve yet to be able to do justice to the new ‘web-tags’ feature but this looks to be useful – up to a point. However, unless I’ve missed it, there doesn’t appear to be a way of including such links within reports/web pages etc – hopefully I’m wrong!
- The county check facility seems to have been expanded and improved. I cannot judge if this is now useful to those of you across the pond but, as one who lives in England, I place little or no trust in its authenticity (the United Kingdom does not date from 1066, only 1707!). That said, you can switch it off and the program is only as good as the sources of information it uses
- On-line publishing via the new free RootsMagic service is clearly a welcome extra feature. I have not yet tried it and would be pleased to know a little more about how it will operate – eg is it secure?, is the data shared? etc. Whilst it is good for those who want to use it and have not already availed themselves of other competitor services, it does seem to me to be (to use current parlance) more a facility that should be an ‘in-app purchase’ – ie an extra which can be bought by those who need it rather than it being funded by a higher upgrade price for those who don’t. Perhaps that’s getting too picky!
- As to the dozens of other enhancements, perhaps these will become evident in time….
I do, though, lament the fact that v6 is still apparently offers not facility to include more than one small media item in its narrative reports (along with the ability to edit size, orientation, captions etc). This is a long standing request that I and others have pressed for and is a glaring omission.
Similarly, the almost total lack of any ‘hotlinking’ within reports and charts (eg so that you can click to jump to the next relevant page in a pedigree chart or to the parents/children in a narrative chart necessitates substantial post-editing when compiling published data.
Also still no ‘all-in-one’ trees to allow the generation of reports that go wider than the direct ancestral line or the inclusion of a limited number of ancestors of (say) spouses/partners in a descendant tree. It would, for example, be useful to be able to chart all those specified within a Group (assuming they are related) to be shown on a chart or report.
Hey Ho – there is always next Christmas….