• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 sjashe

sjashe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:39 AM

Will it be possible to lock private information (SSN, live birthdates, etc) or only allow access to databases to people with a specific username/password?

#2 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3551 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:33 AM

Will it be possible to lock private information (SSN, live birthdates, etc) or only allow access to databases to people with a specific username/password?

You can use the privatize options for Living People as with gedcom export at present.

Personally I would like to see the option to apply Date and Place truncation to all individuals to encourage research collaboration rather than promote instant family histories which then get further proliferated on the web.

Keeping ones customers and their important views at a distance is never a good approach

User of Family Historian 7.0, Rootsmagic 7.6.3

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#3 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8780 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:39 AM

Personally I would like to see the option to apply Date and Place truncation to all individuals to encourage research collaboration rather than promote instant family histories which then get further proliferated on the web.

Confirming enhancement request is in our tracking system.
Renee
RootsMagic

#4 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8780 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:45 AM

Besides using the privatize options for the living, you can mark specific facts private and not include them. If you want all facts, like SSN suppressed then go to Lists>Fact Type Lists and highlight the fact and click Edit. Under "Include when" uncheck the option "Publish online/ create HTML".
Renee
RootsMagic

#5 JPCarolus

JPCarolus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:44 PM

Just curious-when publishing online, is the site secure and can I decide/invite who sees my information, or is it our on the internet for whoever can find it?

#6 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6444 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:21 PM

Just answered on the webinar. The sites are not publicly exposed but anyone with the URL can see it. If someone posts the link publicly, then I think search engines could index the main page. They would have to interpret javascript to dig deeper.

Tom user of RM7630 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#7 mckate

mckate

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:17 PM

Just want to post my extreme gratitude for the new online publishing. It used to take days to generate, fix, and upload my tree to my site. Now I can do it in a matter of minutes and it's so much more functional! I can tell a great deal of thought went into it.

Bruce mentioned in the webinar that there are plans to allow (by choice) the tree info to be indexed by search engines. I would love to see this function, as I often draw people into my site when they google their own name. I can't tell you how much additional family information I've gained this way including some photos of my most elusive ancestor. Will be happily waiting for this feature. Thanks again!

#8 khaden

khaden

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 09:56 AM

Here are my results: "Our Family" http://my.rootsmagic.com/khaden/
Just experimenting.. I noticed that not all Events transfer and that sources attached to the person and not to an individual fact or event also do not appear. I wonder if this will be modified over time. I use notes extensively and I do wish those sources were available for viewing.
I thought it interesting that there is not actually a community of published webpages - no access by search engine even within My RootsMagic. However, I would assume that if the URL is published in a Blog or elsewhere, it would then be picked up by "Search".
I would also hope in the future that more than one tree could be uploaded.
I do think the presentation is excellent. Very easy to do. The resulting webpages extremely clean and easy to read and navigate. Great job RootsMagic!

#9 alansogd

alansogd

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 10:44 AM

I am the developer behind the online publishing system, and the new websites. They're definitely not perfect yet, but you can expect them to continue to improve :)

mckate, unfortunately support for indexing by google is a very hard problem because of how the sites are made, but one that we are definitely working on. Because so much of the site is dynamically generated by Javascript (a necessity, by the way, in order to ensure the sites can work on any web host), search engines can't interpret and index them. I am looking at solutions to this, and you can expect support in the future. How far into the future depends on how hard it is to implement the solution we come up with.

khaden, I don't follow your problem exactly. Could you give me an example of a person on your website that is not showing information you expected to be present, and what is missing? It may be that RootsMagic is exporting the data correctly, but the site is not displaying it, or it may be that the site works correctly, but RootsMagic is not exporting everything. Seeing an example person with this issue will help me determine where the problem is originating from.

Also, right now a single RootsMagic license authorizes you to make two online usernames, so you can put up two different trees -- they will just not be available from the same site.

#10 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3551 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 10:48 AM

Here are my results: "Our Family" http://my.rootsmagic.com/khaden/

Very nicely done, well done both you and Rootsmagic ;)

Keeping ones customers and their important views at a distance is never a good approach

User of Family Historian 7.0, Rootsmagic 7.6.3

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#11 Canuk

Canuk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 12:54 PM

I love the idea of online publishing. I am in Canada and all the relatives are in the UK. I am the genealogist, but they are the ones with all the photos and family memorbilia. They like to look and the results, but I do the research. Online, then, is the answer. However, privacy has become a very heady topic. The way RootsMagic has done it has got most of them onside, but there are others that are worried. They are all relieved that Google, and other search engines cannot index. Please, please keep it that being unindexed is the default. My security conscious relatives would also like very, very much if the whole thing could be password protected so that they would need a URL and a password. Tribal Roots does this.

Thanks for excellent software at a reasonable price.
Canuk
Searching in Kent, England

#12 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6444 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 04:34 PM

I also have a security-sensitive spousal relative in the UK and would like the option of password protection. Canuk, thanks for the example of Tribal Roots (I wonder if you meant Tribal Pages?

Tom user of RM7630 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#13 Canuk

Canuk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 05:28 PM

Brain hiccup. :blink: Of course I meant Tribal Pages. Duh!
Canuk
Searching in Kent, England

#14 KimMC

KimMC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 08:29 PM

mckate, unfortunately support for indexing by google is a very hard problem because of how the sites are made, but one that we are definitely working on. Because so much of the site is dynamically generated by Javascript (a necessity, by the way, in order to ensure the sites can work on any web host), search engines can't interpret and index them. I am looking at solutions to this, and you can expect support in the future. How far into the future depends on how hard it is to implement the solution we come up with.

I've been thinking about this, as it's the one big drawback to the new web site generator. I thought that creating a report using the list of people in file RM report and saving it as an html file then uploading it as an index on my site would help. At least it would keep a search engine friendly list on my site. But I can't figure out how to exclude living people from it. But perhaps something similar could be added as a temp solution. What if the site generator could create a simple name index file in html if it at least had the persons name and birth/death dates that would be a big help. Having it linked to the homepage in some way.... Even if it just redirected to the homepage... :huh:

#15 b.holmes

b.holmes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 04:48 PM

I am the developer behind the online publishing system, and the new websites. They're definitely not perfect yet, but you can expect them to continue to improve :)

khaden, I don't follow your problem exactly. Could you give me an example of a person on your website that is not showing information you expected to be present, and what is missing? It may be that RootsMagic is exporting the data correctly, but the site is not displaying it, or it may be that the site works correctly, but RootsMagic is not exporting everything. Seeing an example person with this issue will help me determine where the problem is originating from.

Also, right now a single RootsMagic license authorizes you to make two online usernames, so you can put up two different trees -- they will just not be available from the same site.

===================================
I too have discovered the two site limit. My use of online posting in the past has been to split my file into Surname descendant file for posting.
The limit of two is a drawback. Perhaps some trade off between number and size of each can be worked out. I don't see a way to find out how much disc space my current two sites are but for example My.RootsMgic.com/HEDGER is my largest and My.RootsMgic.com/HOLMES is one of the smaller. I think I have posted about 10 different online slices on Rootsweb WorldConnect.
Any ideas would be appreciated.

#16 khaden

khaden

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 07:55 PM

An example of a missing event on my website http://my.rootsmagic.com/khaden/ would be that the Military event does not show - there should be one for Robert Haden, William Franklin Haden (1817-1880), Elijah Thomas Comstock, and several others. Another person had mentioned that his census facts weren't showing up - I don't have many but mine are there.

Thanks for letting me know two user names can be used for two different sites.

#17 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 01:19 AM

Just wondering, did you check to see if the box for Publish Online / Create HTML was checked or unchecked at Lists, Fact type list for the missing fact(s)?

Or did you check the Edit person screen for the person's with the missing fact to see if that fact was marked Private, and you choose not to include Private facts.

I have not checked everyone I uploaded, but so far have not found any missing facts that should have been there.

There are Alternate names I really don't want in the upload, but that was my mistake. The facts are marked Private, and I allowed Private facts because I have some other facts which are marked Private that I did want to allow. I forgot to go to Lists, Fact type lists, and uncheck the Publish Online / Create HTML box.

#18 khaden

khaden

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 03:40 AM

One more thing that seems to be missing when the publishing takes place. I have many sources attached to the person that refer to the general notes. I started in the beginning with Family Origins back in the day when only basic events were available. Where are these sources? They don't transfer...

#19 khaden

khaden

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 03:49 AM

Just wondering, did you check to see if the box for Publish Online / Create HTML was checked or unchecked at Lists, Fact type list for the missing fact(s)?

Or did you check the Edit person screen for the person's with the missing fact to see if that fact was marked Private, and you choose not to include Private facts.

I have not checked everyone I uploaded, but so far have not found any missing facts that should have been there.

There are Alternate names I really don't want in the upload, but that was my mistake. The facts are marked Private, and I allowed Private facts because I have some other facts which are marked Private that I did want to allow. I forgot to go to Lists, Fact type lists, and uncheck the Publish Online / Create HTML box.

Good call, Laura. I did find a couple of events that the "Publish Online" was marked "No" instead of "yes". I don't recall ever marking these either way, but obviously had done so.

#20 alansogd

alansogd

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 09:44 AM

Khaden, it sounds like your issue was resolved before I got back here. Is there anything I missed that still hasn't been addressed?

It is possible that the user and space limits may change in the future, but I am not in the position to make any promises. We are waiting for our costs to stabilize so we have a good idea of the budget for running the service, and we'll make some decisions after we've had more time to see the trends. We picked a minimum space/username allotment based on our estimates, and so far we are well under our estimates, so if it changes, it will only be a positive change (more usernames, more space).

Right now we are offering two accounts with 50mb each. I think it would make sense to make it 100mb total and allow users to spread it across a larger number of accounts if they wish, because a lot of sites are much smaller than 50mb. I'll put this on my list for consideration, but won't promise anything until I have more time to consider the details involved in implementing such a change.