1 reply to this topic

#1 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6084 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 05:10 PM

Being a cautious sort when it comes to an irreversible upgrade, I did a little test that is reassuring, albeit not absolute proof. I exported a GEDCOM from RM5 from the same file that was copied and upgraded on opening by RM6. I exported a GEDCOM from this RM6 file, both exports with all the boxes checked for maximum data.I then opened one with PSPad and used its text compare against the other to detect any differences. There were none, except for the version of the originating software and the name of the exported file. That confirms to me that RM6 exported exactly the same data as was exported by RM5 and, since that is almost everything in the database, a strong indication that nothing has been lost or corrupted.

Your mileage might vary as I haven't used every feature that was available in RM5. If you want to be likewise reassured about your own data, get PSPad or some other tool that can compare two text files and do the same thing as I did.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#2 snowathlete

snowathlete

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:01 PM

Thanks Tom.
The main to do list and people groups are both retained as expected. I haven't adopted the research manager yet so couldn't check that without going to the extra effort of creating test entries.