48 replies to this topic

#41 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6268 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 08:13 AM

One subtlety is that trailing white space is trimmed in a transfer. Say, you have a person in your database with lots of facts and notes for facts and you have carefully gone through adding Line Feed-Carriage Returns at the end of selected notes in order to improve the paragraphing in the narrative reports. Now transfer that person to another database and drag'n'drop back to the original. Merge. Now all the facts with the trailing white spaces are doubled up because what came back is oh-so-subtly different and impossible to see.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#42 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3434 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 09:22 AM

My thoughts are that the Duplicate Search Merge screen could be flashed up here and allow user selection of what to keep.

This UI is due for some enhancement in my opinion as it could be a lot more informative to the user re primary and secondary individual, a previously published possible layout as a base for discussion is below.

Posted Image

Customers should never be frustrated by things they cannot do.

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.2, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#43 Glenn

Glenn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 10:26 PM

You can open RootsMagic 4 & 5 databases directly in RM6 and it will convert the file format. Once you have converted to RM6 the only way to go back to RM4 or 5 is through a GEDCOM. That is why it's especially import to create a backup of your database before converting.

I made a copy of RM5 to keep the original intact and named the copy: gpw V5 to open with V6 (COPY A) .

Good real estate may be based on location, location, location;
but
good sources are based on citation, citation, citation!

Glenn

#44 snowathlete

snowathlete

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 01:40 PM

WebTags are RM Specific items that get exported to GEDCOM. You would only be able to import that back into another RootsMagic database. It's highly unlikely that other programs would support them.

I already know of one program thats supports RMs colour coding. Webtags are new of course, but over time some other programs will probably provide some support for them.

We have discussed adding a feature to test for bad URLs, but not all the automation you are looking for. Personally I think it very unlikely we would add such a thing. I use FastStone Capture to copy a scrolling window as a graphic. Then you treat it as a regular image linked into the database.

Thanks for suggesting FastStone but I dont think it is easily automatable and if it was in RM then the local link could be registered with the tag also, so that there is a reference between the person and the URL.

#45 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3608 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 02:20 PM

We have discussed adding a feature to test for bad URLs, but not all the automation you are looking for.

I use a (fairly expensive) program called CSE HTML Validator Pro to create and manage my own Web site. It's a "Notepad-like" editor in that you are still editing raw HTML and raw CSS rather than operating in a WYSIWYG fashion. It's vastly more than Notepad however, because it has extensive tools to help validate the HTML that I'm creating manually. And one of the integrated tools is a URL validator.

I only mention this to indicate that URL validation is certainly techically feasible. (I have no idea if the author of CSE HTML Validator Pro developed the URL validator himself or if he licensed it from somebody else. If he developed it himself, I would be pretty sure it would be so integrated into his main product that it couldn't easily be extracted out and licensed as a separate product.)

The style of using CSE HTML Valididator Pro is to edit files on my local C: drive and after they are correct on my C: drive to upload them to a Web server somewhere. This creates some interesting challenges for validating URL's that point from one place in my Web site to another place in my Web site while the files are still on my C: drive. I solve this problem by using relative URL's of the following form. This is a faked up URL, but it follows exactly the form of most of the URL's on my Web site. It's the ../ thing that makes the URL relative.

<a href="../../folder/subfolder/somename.html">somestring</a>

If such URL's validate ok on my C: drive, they continue to validate correctly after my HTML pages are uploaded to a Web server. And of course absolute URL's of the form following form also are validated correctly. This is a real URL, not a faked up one.

<a href="http://mapper.acme.com/">ACME Mapper 2.0</a>

I haven't played around with RM6's new Webtabs enough yet to see how these same concepts of validating both relative and absolute URL's would fit in with Webtags. It may be the case that the only kind of URL's that make sense for Webtags are absolute URL's.

Jerry

#46 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8491 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 02:27 PM

My thoughts are that the Duplicate Search Merge screen could be flashed up here and allow user selection of what to keep.

This UI is due for some enhancement in my opinion as it could be a lot more informative to the user re primary and secondary individual, a previously published possible layout as a base for discussion is below.

Posted Image

Confirming enhancement requests are in our tracking system.
Renee
RootsMagic

#47 Ludlow Bay

Ludlow Bay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 868 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 01:13 AM

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:04 PM

Posted ImageKenCRoy, on 19 November 2012 - 11:35 AM, said:

Any information on what problems have been fixed in Rootsmagic 6 would be appreciated. The What's new appears to be mainly about publishing online and on timeline.

Still working on that.

Still?

#48 KenCRoy

KenCRoy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 07:58 AM

RM 6.0.0.3 fixed the problems I had opened on importing PAF 4 files (Request #25400) and also that of mangling all names (persons and locations) when importing from PAF 2.3 (Request #25441). However, if the names include French accents, the accents are still not imported correctly, so I would consider the problem partially fixed. I added comments to (Request #25400) on 8 December, but no response has been posted and it is possible that this did not re-open a Closed support ticket.

#49 KenCRoy

KenCRoy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 09:54 AM

RM 6.0.0.3 fixed the problems I had opened on importing PAF 4 files (Request #25400) and also that of mangling all names (persons and locations) when importing from PAF 2.3 (Request #25441). However, if the names include French accents, the accents are still not imported correctly, so I would consider the problem partially fixed. I added comments to (Request #25400) on 8 December, but no response has been posted and it is possible that this did not re-open a Closed support ticket.

RM 6.0.0.4 now imports the French accents in names correctly