48 replies to this topic

#21 KenCRoy

KenCRoy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 12:07 PM

Confirming your enhancement requests are in our tracking system.

The issue you mention...
[/font][/color]
Is not considered an issue that needs to be fixed in our books. It's an enhancement request that may or may not be implemented. You can use the sort date field to adjust the order of the events.

If you want to be a beta tester send an email to support@rootsmagic.com and we will add you to the list. It's up to the RootsMagician on who he picks to beta test different features.

Well when importing 25,000 records from a different software package, I think it would be a trivial program change to set the sort date discriminator so that CHR does not sort before Birth and Burial does not sort before Death and Death and Burial do not sort before Birth when all 4 dates are identical and PAF displays them in a specific order. Maybe the RootsMagician is not interested in acquiring more PAF users ... :)

Having to manually look through 25,000 records is not a task I manually want to do.

This is only one of the items that prevents me from completely eliminating my PAF environment. I have used Family Origins before and have been using RootsMagic since version 3.

#22 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3434 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 12:51 PM

I for one would certainly like to see enhancements in the inter-operability with other software. I use TNG for my web site which is still being created from a GEDCOM from PAF.

I published a small file on the link below with sources, media and notes, navigate to William Nawn (1835) to see that screen and get a feel for what RM6 Publish Online does. Not sure how it compares to TMG, I'm afraid.

http://my.rootsmagic.com/Vyger/

Customers should never be frustrated by things they cannot do.

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.2, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#23 Ludlow Bay

Ludlow Bay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 868 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:19 PM

I published a small file on the link below with sources, media and notes, navigate to William Nawn (1835) to see that screen and get a feel for what RM6 Publish Online does. Not sure how it compares to TMG, I'm afraid.

http://my.rootsmagic.com/Vyger/

I see that your pedigree chart is in black & white, not color, as is advertised in the "What's New" propaganda. I had the same experience.

#24 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6267 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:33 PM

The color coding used in your database is carried over to the Publish Online website, as it was/is IIRC, with the older Create HTML tool.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#25 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3434 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:47 PM

I see that your pedigree chart is in black & white, not color, as is advertised in the "What's New" propaganda. I had the same experience.

If you explore William Nawns chart you will see that it is.

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.2, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Root

#26 snowathlete

snowathlete

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 03:13 PM

Webtags looks espeically interesting, that could be very handy and im glad its integrated into the brower. I have always places URLs in the Notes as these are a safe bet for getting exported and retained by RM and other programs. Do these new tags get exported to gedcom?

On this topic of webtags, more recently I have started to experience the problem with aged URLs. Some that i might have added to notes 2 or 3 years ago are dead, where the site has gone. I knew this would happen and always meant to go and download local copies, but I never got around to it. A great feature would be if you could tell RM to go to all your URLS and download copies and store them in a local directory and perhaps link to these as well. That solves the problem of disapering sites. Any chance of that for a future version?

Did this get missed? Any chance of a answer?

#27 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3608 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 04:37 PM

I am not seeing any enhancements in the area of publishing either where page duplexing does not allow for mirror margins where the left margin would be wider of odd pages and the right margin wider on even pages

I deal with this issue by creating an RTF file and printing from Microsoft Word which handles mirror margins just fine. There are so many, many little things that I need to cleanup before publishing that it's hard to imagine ever publishing directly from RM.

Jerry

#28 APerson

APerson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 04:42 PM

I would like to reinforce the request for the list of what has been fixed as soon as possible. As nice as the new features appear to be, I'm always much more interested in what's been fixed than in what the new features are. And it's very disappointing that County Check appears still to be as dysfunctional as ever for those of use who want to use the word County in their place names.

Jerry

I couldn't agree more. While I've been too busy to really go through RM6, there are other problems that haven't been addressed. The County check needs to be taken care of.

#29 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3434 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 04:46 PM

I never looked at RM for web publishing before but Publish Online produces some very pleasing results and for those with no hosting package it represents a really good option.

Root

#30 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3434 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 04:49 PM

I couldn't agree more. While I've been too busy to really go through RM6, there are other problems that haven't been addressed. The County check needs to be taken care of.

I'm sure the Rootsmagician would be glad to hear your suggestions along with that of all other users, with all due respect just saying "needs to be taken care of" is not very constructive or informative.

Root

#31 APerson

APerson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:03 PM

I'm sure the Rootsmagician would be glad to hear your suggestions along with that of all other users, with all due respect just saying "needs to be taken care of" is not very constructive or informative.

I'm sorry you missed that fact that I stated, "I've been too busy to really go through RM6." Unfortunately, your comments are neither very constructive or informative either . . .

BTW, had you bothered to look, you would have found that I had discussed the county situation here: http://forums.rootsm...1813-thank-you/

#32 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:36 PM

And something I asked for back in Family Origins 8 or so isn't here yet either! :angry:

It Still will not wash my car.
Alfred

#33 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3434 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:47 AM

BTW, had you bothered to look, you would have found that I had discussed the county situation here: http://forums.rootsm...1813-thank-you/

No offence was intended and it is good that you have referenced that previous discussion. It seems to be so difficult to keep valuable opinions and discussions together on the forum, we can only hope Renee has these compiled by feature somewhere.

all just my own opinion, of course.

Root

#34 APerson

APerson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 03:06 AM

No offence was intended and it is good that you have referenced that previous discussion. It seems to be so difficult to keep valuable opinions and discussions together on the forum, we can only hope Renee has these compiled by feature somewhere.

all just my own opinion, of course.

Thanks. I lead an extremely busy life and work on my genealogy as much as I can. I'm starting to get a feel for RM6 now and there are several items that have needed to be addressed for a long long. Hopefully, Renee will open up a "suggestion list" thread so we can discuss things in greater detail.

#35 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8490 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:15 PM

Webtags looks espeically interesting, that could be very handy and im glad its integrated into the brower. I have always places URLs in the Notes as these are a safe bet for getting exported and retained by RM and other programs. Do these new tags get exported to gedcom?

WebTags are RM Specific items that get exported to GEDCOM. You would only be able to import that back into another RootsMagic database. It's highly unlikely that other programs would support them.

On this topic of web+tags, more recently I have started to experience the problem with aged URLs. Some that i might have added to notes 2 or 3 years ago are dead, where the site has gone. I knew this would happen and always meant to go and download local copies, but I never got around to it. A great feature would be if you could tell RM to go to all your URLS and download copies and store them in a local directory and perhaps link to these as well. That solves the problem of disapering sites. Any chance of that for a future version?

We have discussed adding a feature to test for bad URLs, but not all the automation you are looking for. Personally I think it very unlikely we would add such a thing. I use FastStone Capture to copy a scrolling window as a graphic. Then you treat it as a regular image linked into the database.
Renee
RootsMagic

#36 Darrell Parker

Darrell Parker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:42 PM

The RootsMagic iPhone and iPad app are still being beta tested. They are separate products. You will be able to use the app on RM5 & RM6 databases.

How about a MAC version in the near future.

#37 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8490 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:05 PM

How about a MAC version in the near future.

Last time I've checked we didn't have all the development tools available for a Mac version. i know the guys have been busy with RM6, and the apps. When the dust settles I'm sure the Mac version will come. We understand the demand for such a version.
Renee
RootsMagic

#38 JerseyIrish

JerseyIrish

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:44 PM

When dragging one person from dB-A to dB-B, and that person is already in dB-B RM6 asks if they are the same person. I mark the checkbox that they are and RM6 copies the person from dB-A to dB-B. The problem is in dB-B. When you open that person, a majority of the events are duplicated. I can understand this happening if there is any difference in information so that the user can determine which is correct. The duplication is also occurring when the event information is exactly the same. The only difference may be in the sources. Is this planned this way? I would think that identical information would be merged and different information would be appended. Am I doing this incorrectly?

#39 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:55 PM

It is left up to you to determine which item you keep.
If there is any difference in the facts, even a space different in a note, they will not combine and both are kept so that you can be the judge as to which parts you wish to keep.
Alfred

#40 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3608 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 08:02 AM

If there is any difference in the facts, even a space different in a note, they will not combine and both are kept ....

Correct. And differences in sources no matter now trivial also prevent the facts from being combined. It can often be difficult to determine what's different because the differences can be in spacing or other whitespace information deep in the sources and the differences are invisible on the screen.

Jerry