48 replies to this topic

#1 snowathlete

snowathlete

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:02 PM

I just got an upgrade email for RM6. I looked but cant find any info anywhere about what is new in RM6? Is there a page somewhere?

Thanks
Joel

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8492 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:39 PM

Here is where you can find a list describing what is new - http://www.rootsmagi...c/WhatsNew.aspx

We are still working on a forum for RootsMagic 6. Just have a lot of housekeeping to do with a new release. The blog will announce its arrival and we will have an upcoming webinar listed soon.
Renee
RootsMagic

#3 KenCRoy

KenCRoy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:35 PM

Any information on what problems have been fixed in Rootsmagic 6 would be appreciated. The What's new appears to be mainly about publishing online and on timeline.

I would be interested in whether any of the inter-operability of importing / exporting to other software packages have been addressed.

#4 snowathlete

snowathlete

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:50 PM

Thanks Renee.

Nice to see some of this stuff. Though I am already invested in online publication through another program, I still think the online publication through RM is a good move and I may move to it in the future as I expect the functionality will grow with further releases. The example chart looks very nice.

Webtags looks espeically interesting, that could be very handy and im glad its integrated into the brower. I have always places URLs in the Notes as these are a safe bet for getting exported and retained by RM and other programs. Do these new tags get exported to gedcom?

On this topic of web+tags, more recently I have started to experience the problem with aged URLs. Some that i might have added to notes 2 or 3 years ago are dead, where the site has gone. I knew this would happen and always meant to go and download local copies, but I never got around to it. A great feature would be if you could tell RM to go to all your URLS and download copies and store them in a local directory and perhaps link to these as well. That solves the problem of disapering sites. Any chance of that for a future version?

Pleased to see Find Everywhere - just earlier today I was wishing for this in my head.

#5 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8492 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 03:04 PM

Any information on what problems have been fixed in Rootsmagic 6 would be appreciated. The What's new appears to be mainly about publishing online and on timeline.

Still working on that.

I would be interested in whether any of the inter-operability of importing / exporting to other software packages have been addressed.

No, I do not believe that was addressed. I didn't see it on the list to beta test.
Renee
RootsMagic

#6 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8492 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 03:43 PM

We will be having a webinar "What's New in RootsMagic 6" tomorrow (Tuesday) at 7PM MST. If you would like to join us (I'm sure this one will fill up fast), you can sign up at:

https://www3.gotomee...ister/799841142
Renee
RootsMagic

#7 mapleleaf

mapleleaf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 05:11 PM

Will the RM6 database be compatible with RM5, and can RM5 databases be used on RM6?
~ Debbie

#8 abujnowski

abujnowski

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 05:17 PM

I didn't see anything in the "What's New" summary about moving RootsMagic to the cloud. I had thought that RM6 would allow users to have a common data file between their tablet, smart phone, and computer by having the data file reside in the cloud. When will this be available?

Also, when will mobile apps (e.g., iPad, iPhone, Android) versions be available?

#9 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8492 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 05:49 PM

Will the RM6 database be compatible with RM5, and can RM5 databases be used on RM6?

You can open RootsMagic 4 & 5 databases directly in RM6 and it will convert the file format. Once you have converted to RM6 the only way to go back to RM4 or 5 is through a GEDCOM. That is why it's especially import to create a backup of your database before converting.
Renee
RootsMagic

#10 snowathlete

snowathlete

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 05:50 PM

On opening a RM5 DB you get asked if you want it to be upgraded to 6, with a warning to take a backup.

My first upgrade i tried seemed to work fine.

#11 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8492 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 05:55 PM

I didn't see anything in the "What's New" summary about moving RootsMagic to the cloud. I had thought that RM6 would allow users to have a common data file between their tablet, smart phone, and computer by having the data file reside in the cloud. When will this be available?

Also, when will mobile apps (e.g., iPad, iPhone, Android) versions be available?

The RootsMagic iPhone and iPad app are still being beta tested. They are separate products. You will be able to use the app on RM5 & RM6 databases.
Renee
RootsMagic

#12 APerson

APerson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:52 PM

The RootsMagic iPhone and iPad app are still being beta tested.

Who needs apps for iPhones or iPads? Apps for Android devices would be much better! Hint, hint! :D

#13 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8492 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:25 PM

Once the iPhone and iPad app for RootsMagic is released we will concentrate on the Android version.
Renee
RootsMagic

#14 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3608 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:05 PM

Still working on that.

I would like to reinforce the request for the list of what has been fixed as soon as possible. As nice as the new features appear to be, I'm always much more interested in what's been fixed than in what the new features are. And it's very disappointing that County Check appears still to be as dysfunctional as ever for those of use who want to use the word County in their place names.

Jerry

#15 Paul Harris

Paul Harris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:13 PM

And it's very disappointing that County Check appears still to be as dysfunctional as ever for those of use who want to use the word County in their place names.

Jerry

Amen. A year of complaints and it couldn't make it into a major upgrade. Still a useless function, as far as I am concerned.

#16 texas_nightowl

texas_nightowl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 01:57 AM

I would like to reinforce the request for the list of what has been fixed as soon as possible.

Me three. There's at least one issue going back to RM4 that I want to know if it is fixed.

#17 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3434 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 03:15 AM

The Find Everywhere is great, I, and I know others, have been looking for that for a long time.

Publish Online looks very interesting and comprehensive especially for those with no hosting package.

Being able to view aditional Place Detail information from the Place list and quicker editting is GREAT as with any Place enhancement.

Enhanced searching very welcome although there are many find options that could still be added.

CountyCheck Expoloer especially for someone outside the US is very helpful.

WebTags look very interesting and I can see me using these a lot.

GREAT upgrade, Thanks Rootsmagician

Customers should never be frustrated by things they cannot do.

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.2, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#18 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3434 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 03:16 AM

Me three. There's at least one issue going back to RM4 that I want to know if it is fixed.

What is it?

Customers should never be frustrated by things they cannot do.

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.2, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#19 KenCRoy

KenCRoy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:25 AM

Still working on that.

Well the import issue of setting the sort discriminator when birth and death are the same date, so that death does not display before birth when editing the person was certainly not fixed.

No, I do not believe that was addressed. I didn't see it on the list to beta test.

I for one would certainly like to see enhancements in the inter-operability with other software. I use TNG for my web site which is still being created from a GEDCOM from PAF. I have not converted to RootsMagic because sources are not imported such that Author, and Title are maintained as separate entities but are lumped together. Nor can they be exported as separate entities.

I was looking for the capability to import from TNG to create books for special occasions. I am not seeing any enhancements in the area of publishing either where page duplexing does not allow for mirror margins where the left margin would be wider of odd pages and the right margin wider on even pages

How does one get to be a beta tester?

#20 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8492 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:53 AM

Confirming your enhancement requests are in our tracking system.

The issue you mention...

Well the import issue of setting the sort discriminator when birth and death are the same date, so that death does not display before birth when editing the person was certainly not fixed.

Is not considered an issue that needs to be fixed in our books. It's an enhancement request that may or may not be implemented. You can use the sort date field to adjust the order of the events.

If you want to be a beta tester send an email to support@rootsmagic.com and we will add you to the list. It's up to the RootsMagician on who he picks to beta test different features.
Renee
RootsMagic