Photo

Anyone know what things trigger Rootsmagic to change either FAMS, FAMC or INDI numbers?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 snowathlete

snowathlete

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 05:02 PM

Obviously every new person gets a new INDI number.
Deletion of the person would remove that number.
A merge causes the two records to share the same ID, and the other gets deleted.
Any other triggers?

What about FAMS? You can have several for multiple marriages, and unlinking the people in a marriage would cause that FAMS to get deleted.
Any other triggers?

An individual gets a FAMC tag when they are a child of a marriage, and that would get deleted if they were unlinked.
Any other triggers?

With all of the above, do dropped IDs get reused after deletion, unlinking, merging?

Thanks

#2 c24m48

c24m48

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1336 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 06:05 PM

With all of the above, do dropped IDs get reused after deletion, unlinking, merging?

No, they are not reused.

Jerry

#3 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 4482 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:21 AM

If you GEDCOM your file and import it back into a new database the numbers will change if you don't select to preserve record numbers. Drag n' Drop will also change the record numbers.
Renee
RootsMagic

#4 snowathlete

snowathlete

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:32 AM

If you GEDCOM your file and import it back into a new database the numbers will change if you don't select to preserve record numbers. Drag n' Drop will also change the record numbers.

Thanks Rennee, that probably explains why alot of my record numbers changed recently. Not long ago I did a drag and drop to a new database, in order to leave some dead-wood behind, as there was no bulk-delete function.
I should have spotted that preserve record numbers flag. It's an issue for me because the change in record numbers affects the URLs on my website that are based on the record numbers, meaning old URLs go to different people than they used to.

#5 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:53 PM

There is no option for retaining the record numbers with a drag and drop, it is only available with the GEDCOM inport into a NEW, EMPTY database.

There probably should be a checkmark with the drag and drop too, since it is actually a GEDCOM export and import combination.
STILL, only when draging to a new, empty database.
Alfred

#6 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3973 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:06 PM

I could swear that I have dnd'd Everyone to a NEW database and the person record numbers were preserved. Time to check again...
Tom
user of RM7000 FTM2014 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celtiwiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix_tiny.png app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.