9 replies to this topic

#1 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2248 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 10:31 AM

In my opinion there is a missing link while trying to reconcile Places and I do wish the Rootsmagician looks at a way to close it and make this completely user friendly.

In my example here I have clicked the GeoCode button from the Edit Place List, on the resultant Match Places screen some Places can be matched and others, of course, cannot.

You will see below that Lisbellaw, Fermanagh does not present any possible matches, however returning to Edit Place and clicking the Online Map button brings up the exact match in Bing. Therefore my first wish would be the addition of an Edit Place button on the Match Places UI or some other functionality which facilitates reconciling Places where no match is displayed whilst still on the Match Places UI .

Posted Image

Secondly you will notice that the Online Map match in Bing is informative in regards of some notes but more importantly the GeoCode information the user would need for RM. This, incidentally, is it the same format as Google Maps "What's Here" query with the exception of one comma.

Posted Image

This information can be copied from both Bing and Google Maps as a single string but must be manipulated while pasting into RM. Therefore my second wish is for RM to allow a single paste option there RM can do the split and ask for user confirmation.
Software Comparisons - Place Management - How other software packages stack up.
Media Gallery (a critical look) - Written when RM4 was introduced but still applies today.

Relaxation is the key to life and this is where I get some time to relax and catch up on my hobby and research s the key to life and this is where I get some time to catch up on me genealogy work and research

#2 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2248 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 01:16 PM

I have been thinking about this some more and since the natural flow of the present functionality brings you back to the Edit Place UI providing filtering on this UI would be a better option IMO.

Providing filtering of Places with no geocoding at this point would allow the user to jump in and out of Online Maps to reconcile those Places and make them complete.

I am interested to hear what other users think about how this could work better.

Posted Image
Media Gallery (a critical look) - Written when RM4 was introduced but still applies today.

Relaxation is the key to life and this is where I get some time to relax and catch up on my hobby and research s the key to life and this is where I get some time to catch up on me genealogy work and research

#3 nastrond

nastrond

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 11:14 PM

I agree with Vyger that this would be a very useful addition to RM
Kind regards,

Andrew
http://www.kempfamilyhistory.com

#4 snowathlete

snowathlete

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:48 AM

I agree that being able to filter to only those locations without geocoding is practically essential.
The ultimate solution, and I would think it's possible as well as being a very saleable feature, would be to have a little map inside RM where you can not only search but also place and move around the cursor where you want it and the cooridinates are automatically picked up, ready for the user to click 'assign' or some such button to assign those coordinates to the selected location.

A bit like this:
http://www.gorissen....pLocationv3.php

#5 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2248 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:00 PM

The ultimate solution, and I would think it's possible as well as being a very saleable feature, would be to have a little map inside RM where you can not only search but also place and move around the cursor where you want it and the cooridinates are automatically picked up, ready for the user to click 'assign' or some such button to assign those coordinates to the selected location.

In Google Maps zoom down to your location and right click on it selecting "What's Here" you will get the co-ords for that point.

#6 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 3665 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 04:19 PM

Confirming enhancement requests are in our tracking system.
Renee
RootsMagic

#7 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2248 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 02:44 AM

I can tell you that this does exist in another genealogy program and I can also say that it is very useful indeed.

I would like to see the existing Place List, which has evolved from Family Origins, completely replaced with a modern multi pane and multi functional UI that reflects modern genealogy and mapping needs.

#8 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2248 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:37 PM

I have been working a lot with alternative products recently and I would say that Rootsmagic is one of the strongest if not the strongest product regarding Places and Place management.

However there is one big problem, as Rootsmagic has evolved the additional help utilities have become fragmented and looking through my own and other wishes I find requests for a button here and a button there, this very topic is a wish to close what I see as a functionality gap.

We have Gazetteer, Mapping, County Checker, Place List, Online Mapping all requiring their own individual selection whereas a single UI such as an enhanced Mapping window would probably allow much of the required functionality and provide direct linking to the others.

My views have now changed so ignore the extra button requests in the tracker, my current opinion is that the Place Management needs to be completely rebuilt from the ground up in a completely new UI. The code and utilities already exist within the program, they just need to be brought together in a new and professional UI from which all matters pertaining to Places can be accessed and managed.

This may not come about until a new version but when it does it will make Rootsmagic much more user friendly in respect of Place management, mapping and geocoding and hopefully finally put the various current issues to rest once and for all.

#9 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 3665 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:23 PM

Changes noted in tracking system.
Renee
RootsMagic

#10 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2248 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 09:10 PM

Watch the second video here - http://www.youtube.c...enealogyReviews

The original Rootsmagic Mapping UI would be a perfect starting point for the makeover that is need to fill modern needs.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Place List, match Places, Mapping, geocode