15 replies to this topic

#1 jonmira

jonmira

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 02:15 PM

I noticed that the narratives for some of my ancestors do not list any marriage information. I think this because two "marriage" fact types can be selected. One is for "personal" and the other is for "family."

I probably selected the "personal" for the marriage fact type for some of my ancestors and "family" for the marriage fact type for the others.

When should you use "personal" or "family" for marriage fact type? I really do not understand the advantages of disadvantages of each. How do I make the corrections so that the marriage information appears in the narratives?

I looked at the RootsMagic 4 book and could not find any reference to this issue.

Appreciate any help.

John

#2 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 04:32 PM

If you have a personal marriage fact, it is not one of the original issue facts, it is a user defined fact.

If the fact does not show up in a narrative report it is usually because there is no sentence template for that fact.

I don't know how a single person would have a marriage fact, so I would:
DO A BACKUP OF YOUR FILE -- just in case...
Then, go to the Lists - Fact type list - and do a print of the personal marriage fact with People who have this fact, save it to a text file and edit all those people to create a FAMILY marriage fact for all of them, then delete the personal marriage fact.
Alfred

#3 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3405 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 05:20 PM

To tell the difference between a Program defined fact and a user defined fact, highlight the fact on the Lists, Fact type list screen.

Edit the fact. The Program defined fact Name and Abbreviation can not be changed. The user defined fact Name and Abbreviation can be changed.

I start all my user defined fact names with a character which sorts them to the top of the list.
Laura

The following was overheard at a recent high society party...
"My ancestry goes all the way back to Alexander the Great," said one lady. She then turned to a second woman and asked, "How far does your family go back?"
"I don't know," was the reply. "All of our records were lost in the flood."
-on various web sites-

#4 jonmira

jonmira

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 01:52 AM

I still have a problem with this issue. If I use the marriage fact with the "family" selection, I still do not have the marriage sentence showing in the narrative for the married couple (for either the husband or wife).

Can anyone list the detailed steps to take so that the marriage information appears in the narratives for the married couple. The marriage sentence template does show the sentence I want in the narrative; however, it does not appear in the narrative.

In addition, if I add a marriage note, the marriage note does not appear in the narrative. What gives!!

This is the only fact type that is giving me problems; the other fact types are great. I must be missing a important concept with this fact type.

Thanks for any help.

John

#5 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 08:16 AM

Check the edit marriage fact in the fact types list and see if there is a check mark in the "Include when:" box before Narrative reports.
Alfred

#6 jonmira

jonmira

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 10:19 AM

Yes, there is a check mark for all the headings under: "Include when:"

I am going to create a new RootsMagic file and add marriage facts to see if I have the same problem.

Anyway, thanks for your input.

John

#7 c24m48

c24m48

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1215 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 11:18 AM

I still have a problem with this issue. If I use the marriage fact with the "family" selection, I still do not have the marriage sentence showing in the narrative for the married couple (for either the husband or wife).

Can anyone list the detailed steps to take so that the marriage information appears in the narratives for the married couple. The marriage sentence template does show the sentence I want in the narrative; however, it does not appear in the narrative.

In addition, if I add a marriage note, the marriage note does not appear in the narrative. What gives!!

This is the only fact type that is giving me problems; the other fact types are great. I must be missing a important concept with this fact type.

Thanks for any help.

John

I'm sort of guessing from your description, but it sounds like perhaps you are expecting the marriage fact to appear in a narrative report in timeline order. It doesn't.

For example, suppose John Doe is married to Jane Smith and John has three facts - born 1870, married 1895, and died 1942. The part of the report that's specific to John Doe will only show two facts - birth and death. The marriage will appear in a slightly different part of the report that's shared between John and Jane. So the marriage will appear only once - for them as a couple. The marriage will not appear twice - once for John and once for Jane. Is that what you are talking about?

Jerry

#8 jonmira

jonmira

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 02:21 PM

Jerry,

Thank you. I was expecting to see the marriage information in the narrative. I was trying all this time to have the marriage info. in the narrative.

Anyway, you have given me the answer.

Thanks again,

John

#9 c24m48

c24m48

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1215 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 06:01 PM

Thank you. I was expecting to see the marriage information in the narrative.

What you are asking for has been much wished for. However, I confess that I sort of like it the way it is for facts that are what I call "couple facts" such as marriage and divorce. If the capability came into being where such things as marriage and divorce could appear in timeline order with things like birth and death, I think it would need to remain an option to do it the way it works now.

RM calls these kinds of facts family facts rather than couple facts, but I've never understood that terminology. To me, the family is the couple plus the children, and the children didn't marry their parents. At the same time, there are facts such as family census facts which might logically be considered to apply to the whole family of the couple plus the children. However, even family census facts are really treated by RM like couple census facts in narrative reports. If you don't believe it, put in a family census fact and start a narrative report with one of the children who was listed in the census family fact. The child will be missing the census fact for that year.

For that reason and several others, I avoid using RM's family facts to the maximum extent that's reasonable. I seldom go much beyond using marriage and divorce. And I never use family notes (a family note that's freestanding rather than being associated with a family fact). However, I'm sensitive to the fact that many very expert and experienced RM users do like family facts such as family census facts and make heavy use of them.

Jerry

#10 jonmira

jonmira

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 08:50 PM

Jerry,

When I finally publish my family history and give copies to my relatives, I know, without a doubt, I will get a lot of questions from the family about the missing marriage information in the timeline of the narrative.

Someone will say, something like: "Hey, you missed the marriage date for Aunt Carmela." I will then have to explain that the program does not list the marriage information in the timeline of the narrative. Oh well.

Overall, I have to say RootsMagic 4 is excellent program. Great - no - but none are!

I might add that the RootsMagic 4 book does not have any reference to the marriage fact in the narrative.

Jerry, thanks for input. It really helped.

John

#11 c24m48

c24m48

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1215 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 09:24 PM

I might add that the RootsMagic 4 book does not have any reference to the marriage fact in the narrative.

The marriage sentence really should be there. It just will be after the timeline with birth and death.

Jerry

#12 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 09:34 PM

I am pretty sure that it is a case of operator error and isn't the program's fault.

BUT, I could be wrong.
If you would send me a backup file of your database I will try to see what might be the problem
Mention which type of narrative you are trying and who you are selecting as the starting person.
Just attach a copy of the backup file to an email to me at:
adeller@santel.net
Alfred

#13 jonmira

jonmira

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 10:04 PM

Alfred,

You are right it was "operator error." I deleted and reentered all the marriage info. All's well.

I will be able to sleep well tonight!

Thank you,

John

#14 familyman

familyman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 05:15 PM

When I run a narrative report with myself as the start person, the marriage fact/info for my father and mother's marriage shows up in father's narrative. However, it does not show up in mother's narrative part nor does her second marriage info show up either.

All the info shows up in Family Group Sheet and Individual Summary reports (as well as Marriage List). Is this still the way the narrative report works or am I missing something? Seems a shame that spousal info does not show up in narrative. Or, at least have the option to include spouses in the report as we do in the Family Group Sheet and Individual Summary reports.

Been with Rootsmagic since the first version and love the program in many ways. But, I would love to have this functionality in Narraitve Reports.

This is what I have as the sentence template in the marriage fact:

[couple] <#Couple#was|were> married< [Date]>< [PlaceDetails]>< [Place]>.

#15 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 06:31 PM

Narrative reports are either ancestors or descendants of the staring person.

Starting with you,an Ancestor report will list your you then the next generation will be your parents. Your mother and father are listed together and their marriage information is only listed once following your father's personal information.
Since a second marriage is not to an ancestor of yours, it isn't included.

You could add this information as a note or a user defined personal fact of the ancestor involved if you wanted to.
Alfred

#16 familyman

familyman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 09:19 AM

I just ran the different descendant reports on a couple of different people and those reports do include second/other marriage information. Great!

Sorry, feel dumb on that one. My problem was a PEBKAC error ("Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Chair") :)

And a big "Thank you" to you and several others who take the time to reply to user questions with solutions. That's just one of the things that makes Rootsmagic such a great program.

David