Photo

Will bloat or file size become an issue after addinng media?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Devon Lee

Devon Lee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 08:41 AM

I am using RootsMagic 5 and I want to link media to the database. I just am afraid of the database file becoming too large. Should I be?

#2 c24m48

c24m48

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1111 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 08:52 AM

You should not be worried. The only thing that goes into your database for media is a link. The actual media files remain outside of your database, wherever you have them stored already.

Jerry

#3 Devon Lee

Devon Lee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 08:56 AM

Alrighty. Thanks. I'll keep linking the files.

#4 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3428 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:31 AM

Also stored in the database file is a thumbnail image of each image media item attached. It is the thumbnail you see on screen, not the original, unless you edit the item or generate a report. I suspect that lots of thumbnails will have a marked effect on database file size and slow operations due to disk performance but it will take a very great many to do so. What you will see much earlier is a slowing of the Media Gallery when showing thumbnails - it can become virtually unusable.
Tom user of RM6310 FTM2014 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celtiwiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix_tiny.png app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#5 Jack

Jack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:18 AM

Ah, but at least the Media Gallery is a tad faster than it was originally! However, if you're looking for more and more speed, a la moi, it's still slow.
Jack

a posteriori

#6 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3218 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 02:46 PM

I have 2293 media in my Media Gallery and RM5 creating the thumbnails is pretty fact. Of course, the more media you have linked the longer it will take. And the speed of your computer is also a factor.

You can go to Tools, Program options, and uncheck the Build thumbnails when opening Media Gallery box and only have it checked when you are adding new media to the program and thumbnails need to be created for the Media Gallery.
Laura

The following was overheard at a recent high society party...
"My ancestry goes all the way back to Alexander the Great," said one lady. She then turned to a second woman and asked, "How far does your family go back?"
"I don't know," was the reply. "All of our records were lost in the flood."
-on various web sites-