• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Alex

Alex

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 05:15 AM

I have been using Google streetmap to find photos of residences listed in the censuses for my ancestors.
It would be brilliant if those photos were automatically shown in the media galleries of individuals with that address in their Facts.
So lets say the family lived at Holland Farm, and I have a photo of it. I attach Holland Farm to my place in the Place List, and when Holland Farm is mentioned in Place a photo of it is shown in the media gallery for that Fact.
Otherwise I'm going to have to manually add it of each occurrence of the address - all census years and all family members.
(I realise that you have now modified Place Details to remember house number or house name, so it may be more consistent for you to link it to Place Details - but I can't seem to pull a list of them off or add a picture)
Thanks!!

#2 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1393 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 06:49 AM

I use a map created as a jpg file for this to work. As I use DeLorme Topo USA maps for my map system. I believe there was a discussion in the last month about Google maps inside of RM.
Genealogy:
"I work on genealogy only on days that end in "Y"." [Grin!!!]
from www.GenealogyDaily.com.
"Documentation....The hardest part of genealogy"
"Genealogy is like Hide & Seek: They Hide & I Seek!"
" Genealogists: People helping people.....that's what it's all about!"
from http://www.rootsweb....nry/gentags.htm
Using FO and RM since FO2.0 = Researching the families of William DeCoursey/cy b. 1756 Baltimore Co. MD found father Leonard DeCause..

#3 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2686 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 04:01 PM

I came across a website the other day that might save you some time. It's called Instant Google Street View and it automatically zooms down to streetview for you: http://www.qsview.com/
--
-- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--
--ΤΏΤ--
K e V i N

#4 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3506 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 05:03 PM

I don't think I would want media linked to a Place or a Place detail to automatically be linked to a fact that uses that Place or Place detail.

For most of my censuses, I have no street address as most of the people in my database lived in rural areas for RM to be able to decide which media I want linked to which fact from the Place name or Place detail.

For one place like Piney Fork Township, Sharp County, Arkansas, I have several .jpg census pages linked as media to that Place from several censuses and many pages, sorted by census year and page number.

How would RM know which specific .jpg file I wanted linked to a specific person's fact for which census.

Or if it is a cemetery, Place or Place detail, how would RM know which tombstone pic I wanted linked to which person's fact?

What might be feasible would be to have a check box on the Edit Place and/or Edit Place detail screen(s) to check if you want the media tagged to that Place or Place detail to each person's fact. Default would be unchecked.

If Place was checked all the media for that Place would be tagged to all the Facts with that place. If the Place detail was checked, it would be the media for that Place detail.

If both Place and Place detail boxes were checked, media tagged to both would be tagged to the Fact.

The Place and/or Place detail name would have to be very specific to agree with the media to be tagged to the fact.

For a cemetery tombstone, the Place detail would have to be something like Maryland Cemetery, Smith, John Henry with just the tombstone pic of John Henry Smith tagged rather than just Maryland Cemetery where all the tombstone media for everyone you have in that cemetery was tagged.

To see a list of Place details for each place, highlight the place on the Place list. Click on the Place Details button at the top of the Place screen list to open the Edit Place details screen. Highlight a Place detail and click Edit. Edit the note or add media to that Place detail Album.

I copy the media's description and paste that into the Place details note.

To get a list of the facts linked to each Place detail for a Place, Highlight the Place and Print that Place with Place details checked on the report screen.

Or if you want all the Places printed, choose Print all places (including events).
Laura

The following was overheard at a recent high society party...
"My ancestry goes all the way back to Alexander the Great," said one lady. She then turned to a second woman and asked, "How far does your family go back?"
"I don't know," was the reply. "All of our records were lost in the flood."
-on various web sites-

#5 Alex

Alex

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 03:15 AM

Thanks for the tip, kbens0n. I'll check that out.
And thanks for pointing out the link to GMaps discussion, Nettie. I'm particularly interested in what the buildings themselves look like, and many of my pictures come from old postcards or photos I take, as well as screenshots of google streetmap.
Good point making it optional Laura.
And as an aside, I can also see it being useful to do the same for occupation - an optional picture linking to an ancestor's trade...

#6 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2434 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 01:31 PM

I do similar image collecting as you describe, using a screen grabber and building the Place and Place Details Media, Notes and Geocoding.

Rather than have individual reports cluttered with Place photos when not required there was a previous discussion about having a Place and Place Details appendix option to reports. The idea was that this would print the details, Notes and Media of any Place or Place Details used in the particular report therefore only printing each once.

"It is always wise to look ahead, but difficult to look further than you can see" - Winston Churchill