No replies to this topic

#1 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6444 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 01:18 PM

I took my RoostMagic flash drive into a Source store (ex-Radio Shack for non-Canadians) where they generously allowed me to plug into a couple of demonstrator laptops. RootsMagic started just fine once I found my way to browse the computer to locate the drive and find RootsMagic Launcher. There were no problems that I detected in my brief and unexhaustive test. These were running Windows 8 Pro. We know RM won't run on Windows 8 RT, the only OS available on the current Microsoft Surface RT tablet computer.

There's an interesting blog about Windows 8 on the Legacy website, the latest being Windows 8, Part 3 - Should You Upgrade?. The answer is "not yet" but that's debatable.If upgrading on current hardware, you won't get it for less than the current offer which expires in January. Some say that Windows 8 is a more efficient user of computer resources than prior versions so you will see a performance improvement; maybe that's as effective as upgrading the RAM and at a fraction of the price. Otherwise, buy new hardware with the OS bundled when you need to.

I also tried a cheap Acer Aspire One Netbook running Windows 7 Starter and was pleasantly surprised at how responsive RootsMagic was. Having had a little experience with Family Tree Maker 2012, I would not dream of using it on that level of CPU power and RAM size. Given that you can buy a Win8 upgrade for $15 with the purchase of a Win7 computer for some time, and that there may well be a detectable performance improvement, I'm sorely tempted - would make a better portable RM device than either my Win 7 laptop or my iPad running a Remote Desktop app. However, MS specs 2GB RAM minimum for Win8 so that requires one of the better netbooks.

Microsoft's Windows 8: Will it breathe new life into older PCs? | ZDNet

The Windows 8 upgrade install experience | Ars Technica

Windows 8 Consumer Preview: The Netbook Experience

Windows 8 review | Operating systems Reviews | TechRadar

Windows 8 Upgrade: No Touch, No Good - Personal-tech - Desktop ...

Installing Windows 8 on your old PC could turn it into Greased - ZDNet

Edited by TomH, 08 November 2012 - 02:22 PM.

Tom user of RM7630 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Windows 8