5 replies to this topic

#1 R Steven

R Steven

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 07:46 AM

I have been doing some maintenance on my sources and templates and wrote a little utility program to help me with a couple of things:
  • list all of the sources using a particular template
  • find a template containing certain phrases
  • list those custom templates I have created
  • list the templates I am actually using in my sources
  • merge similar templates into a single template in an intelligent way
I wrote a small utility program which currently does all of the above things except the last. The last item takes some care because it modifies the RM database. It also gets a bit complicated deciding how to handle fields which may not be exactly the same in the two templates. If you think the program might be useful for you, I happy to freely share it with others. You can install it from http://rsturley.net/...rce/publish.htm. It installs most cleanly using Internet Explorer as your browser, but should work okay with others as well.

The program has internal help which can also be viewed online at http://rsturley.net/RmSource/help.html.

Once you have installed it, it will automatically check for updates and changes in the program as I improve it or fix reported problems.

These kinds of reports and utilities would might be nice to have internally in RootsMagic some day and would be good to add to the Wish List.

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5942 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 09:05 AM

I just ran into the issue once again that RootsMagic has no Merge Source Templates function and it really needs one. When you copy multiple times from one database to another and there are citations involved that use the same custom source template, each time that source template is brought over it is treated as a new source template and the associated source is, too. So now you have multiple identical source templates with no tool to merge them and multiple identical master sources which cannot be merged by AutoMerge because they use different source template records. You can merge them manually but that is painfully tedious given that the identical properties of the source templates should make it possible to automate it.

I'm not even sure that AutoMerge|Merge Source Templates is even on the wish list!

So I went searching the forum and turned up your message, Steve, and checked to see if maybe you had progressed your utility to include the Merge feature. No such luck! I might have a stab at it with SQLite.

BTW, the info displayed about a source template is great! I would like to see a delineation between Master Source fields and Source Detail fields.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8050 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 08:34 AM

I just ran into the issue once again that RootsMagic has no Merge Source Templates function and it really needs one. When you copy multiple times from one database to another and there are citations involved that use the same custom source template, each time that source template is brought over it is treated as a new source template and the associated source is, too. So now you have multiple identical source templates with no tool to merge them and multiple identical master sources which cannot be merged by AutoMerge because they use different source template records. You can merge them manually but that is painfully tedious given that the identical properties of the source templates should make it possible to automate it.

I'm not even sure that AutoMerge|Merge Source Templates is even on the wish list!

Confirming enhancement request is in our tracking system.
Renee
RootsMagic

#4 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1576 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 09:05 AM

Ok  This topic was in Nov 2003, has anything new been down about it.  Or is there another extra set of tools to do this type of a search.  When I ran this http://rsturley.net/RmSource/help.html>    I got RM 2005.  Anyone know anything more on this subject. wondered if it would work on the current database.  My guess is no.  But..... 

Thanks

Genealogy:
"I work on genealogy only on days that end in "Y"." [Grin!!!]
from www.GenealogyDaily.com.
"Documentation....The hardest part of genealogy"
"Genealogy is like Hide & Seek: They Hide & I Seek!"
" Genealogists: People helping people.....that's what it's all about!"
from http://www.rootsweb....nry/gentags.htm
Using FO and RM since FO2.0 

#5 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5942 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 09:56 AM

I think you meant Nov 2012, not 2003, and RM5, not RM2005.

Nothing has changed wrt analysing and merging source templates from inside RM. It's as weak in its support as it was then. Outside of RM and Steven's utility, there are developed scripts for SQLite and queries for remaining questions could be designed. One that can merge duplicate source templates I did in 2013: http://sqlitetoolsfo...erge Duplicates

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#6 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1576 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 06:15 AM

Thanks Tom, guess my sight is not as good as I thought.  Glad you did a Sqlite macro for this.  Will try it. 

Genealogy:
"I work on genealogy only on days that end in "Y"." [Grin!!!]
from www.GenealogyDaily.com.
"Documentation....The hardest part of genealogy"
"Genealogy is like Hide & Seek: They Hide & I Seek!"
" Genealogists: People helping people.....that's what it's all about!"
from http://www.rootsweb....nry/gentags.htm
Using FO and RM since FO2.0