4 replies to this topic

#1 weebleman

weebleman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 03:09 PM

My intention is to have only one tree in my database, however when I do a "Tools>Count Trees" I appear to have about a dozen "one-person" trees in addition to my primary tree, each of which contain a (wanted) member of my primary tree.

My question is, can I delete these unwanted "one-person trees" without deleting the person from my primary tree?

BTW I'm not too sure how these additional trees came about. Any suggestions?

Thanks.... mike

#2 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 03:21 PM

I cannot imagine how the same person in the database could be in two unconnected trees.

SO, view the sidebar in the index mode with the record number option to see if these people are entered into the database twice.
If they are, they should be listed together with different record numbers, in which case you can delete the one not connected to the tree with no problems.

The "Count Trees" should also give you the record number of the starting person of each tree.

======== EDITED ============
I wondered where this went, I must have been half asleep. -_-
I looked at both of the "Erroneous trees -- how to delete them " messages and it had just vanished.
========= second edit =========
Renee, Thank you for moving this to where I THOUGHT I was typing it in the first place.
Alfred

#3 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3493 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 03:45 PM

If they are truly "one-person" trees, that would mean they are not linked to any other individual (parent, child, spouse) ...so what you would need to do is actually link them (as a parent, child or spouse) to someone else in that primary tree, right?

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#4 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8767 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 11:30 AM

Sounds like you have duplicate people in your tree. Check their record numbers and they will be different. Just to be safe I would suggest merging the two copies of the individual together (Tools>Merge>Manual Merge). The person on the left of the merge screen is the one you will keep, so make that the person that is linked to others in the tree.
Renee
RootsMagic

#5 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 01:57 PM

Sometimes, having people in your database that are not linked into the main tree is useful. Say, there is a person of the same surname in a census record that you suspect is related but you don't know how and you want to add that person to your database without linking them to someone else. Or you have done research on a family that you can't yet link into the main tree.

A few days ago, I found a marriage for a daughter. On checking, I found that I had entered her spouse in my database already from a census record where he was listed as an employee.

I don't like having trees with just 1 person either so I have a tree I started with a Person named Unconnected. I link all my unlinked people as a child to this person. Some of the person's linked to Unconnected are heads of households or beginning ancestors where I have family members for that person.

I color code Unconnected and his descendants as Silver. I can exclude Unconnected and his descendants from reports, drag and drop or gedcom easily either by color code or descendants.

I unlink a child from Unconnected if I later find where they should be linked into the main database after linking them in the main tree where they belong.

I have 3 trees:
Main tree
Unconnected
Database

ZZZ Database is the tree where I link fake people that pertain to my database setup and not lineage. All in that tree are also color coded Silver.