7 replies to this topic

#1 JPCarolus

JPCarolus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 03:08 PM

Is it possible to edit lines in a family group sheet? I am making a family history book for my husband's siblings and I'd like to include in the family group sheet how family members are related to my husband and his siblings. For now, I am handwriting in "great-great-grandfather" etc after I print out the sheets, but I would like something that looks better than that. Not a biggie to me if it can't be done, I'm not sure how big a need there is for something like this.

#2 R Steven

R Steven

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 07:31 AM

I can think of a couple of ways to do this. The simplest way is to create the family group sheet as an RTF file. You do this using the Save button rather than the Print button after the creating the report. You can then open up the RTF file using any number of programs which understand this format and edit it there. Two programs I know work with this format are Microsoft Word and OpenOffice.

Another way to do this would be to add the information you want to display as a custom fact for this person. If you make the fact private, you can control when you want to display this information on a report or not. If you choose this option, I would recommend creating a duplicate database and doing it from there. Otherwise, the relationship fact will clutter up your file which you might also want to use for other things.

#3 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6218 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 11:01 AM

Wish List item: a Dynamic Relationship FactType that outputs the relationship of the person to the currently defined root person.

I note that Ancestry.com includes such a relationship statement as an option on its person's Profile screen.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#4 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8414 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 12:07 PM

Confirming enhancement request is in our tracking system.

I have added relationship "codes" that I defined to individuals in my database, using the Reference No. fact. Then in Tools>File Options>General - I display the reference no. after their name. You could spell out the full name if you wish.
Renee
RootsMagic

#5 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 12:54 PM

If you are just adding the relationship to your husband's direct ancestors, you could add a Pedigree chart starting with your husband to the book. A Pedigree chart would be more visual than a line on the FGS sheet.

If you are printing the book yourself, you could change the Pedigree chart to start for each sibling before you print their book.

If you create the book in Publisher, the Pedigree chart page numbers for each person on the chart would also be included in the Index.

If you are adding the relationship to all your husband's relatives, you might consider adding a Kinship List report to the book instead of adding the relationship to each FGS if that report isn't too many pages. You can add the Kinship list report in Publisher, but the page numbers are not listed in the index.

My husband's Kinship list is 35 pages with 48 names per page = 1680 names. That immediately dissuaded me from adding the relationship to every relative of my husband. :)

#6 JPCarolus

JPCarolus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 02:26 PM

thank you, all. At the moment, my husband's research file is still fairly small, and my "book" is my research binder. I think I will do the RTF option as I am printing the report up. I have the pedigree in the front of the binder already and have a kinship list. But I wanted a way to put a "tag" next to the name of the FGS so that as my in-laws are looking at the binder, they can see immediately how they are related without having to flip to the pedigree or a kinship list. If I were printing up large batch reports, this could be time consuming, but as I print up just a few reports at a time while making my way through my research, I think this will work fine. I appreciate everyone's help with this.

#7 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 03:30 PM

One thing to also consider, if you correct a .rtf FGS as you print new Family Group Sheets for persons who already have a printed sheet, you are doing that work over and over which is consuming time in little hunks instead of big hunks but, ultimately, adds up to the same amount of time. :)

To have a "tag" next to the name you could use the Reference number fact. Put the relationship to your husband into the Reference number fact description.

Go to Tools, File options, and choose the Reference number to display after the name.

The first Reference number fact entered on a Edit person screen is the first that prints. So if you have already used the Reference number fact for a person, you can mark the first instance as private, and it will print the fact with the relationship description after the name and not the first fact entered. This is not ideal if you want the first fact to also print.

Or, link the new Reference number fact and enter the relationship in the description. Copy the description for the first Reference number fact and delete the fact. Link a new Reference number fact and paste the copied description into it. This will print both Reference numbers in the FGS and print the fact with the relationship after the name.

I sort Reference number facts to the top of the Edit person screen.

#8 JPCarolus

JPCarolus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 01:05 PM

Thanks, Laura-I need to play around with that. Still a novice with RM and while I am reading your post, it's not readily apparent to me how this works. But it sounds like it would be a good option for me.