Photo

Problem with fact senteces - inconsistency between printed reports, Web reports and program window

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Anneli111

Anneli111

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 04:14 PM

I have the following problem with fact sentences giving different results for shared events. Is there anyone that can confirm this is a bug or am I doing something wrong?

1. Select LIST, FACT TYPE LIST in main window

2. Select MARRAIAGE fact, and edit the fact sentence for PRINCIPAL role :
<%He|She> got married to <%[Wife:Given]|[Husband:Given]>< [Date]>< [PlaceDetails]>< [Place:First]>. He was [Husband:Age:plain] years old and she was [Wife:Age:plain] years old at the time.

4. Open a husband in Edit Person screen. Select the MARRIAGE fact, and in
the bottom blue right corner of window for Sentence (where you can customize
the sentence) for the fact is will show (note that the age of his wife is not shown) "He got married to Susanna Andersdotter on 3 Apr 1803 in Kannus socken. He was 25 years old and she was years old at the time ".

5. Select the husband and print a narrative report - Decendants - NGSQ (modifed register)
In the narrative report it will print correctly "He got married to Susanna Andersdotter on 3 Apr 1803 in Kannus socken. He was 25 years old and she was 17 years old at the time ".

6. Select one of the couples children and print a narrative report - Ancestors. It will print for the husband "She got married to Matts Isaksson on 3 Apr 1803 in Kannus socken. He was 25 years old and she was 17 years old at the time ". Note that report is assuming that it is for the wife instead of the husband, and it should be the opposite.

7. Create a WEB site- Ancestor book or decendant book. In both these reports for the husband the fact sentence language is not recognised.

It will be written "He got married to [Wife:Given] on 3 April 1700 in Kannus socken. He was [Husband:Age:plain] years old and she was [Wife:Age:plain] years old at the time"

The Sw version I have is 5.0.4.1 (11 Jul 2012).

#2 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:41 PM

I don't know why the wife's name is printing first in the Ancestor report.

I used this sentence and it works well for me.

<%[Husband]<, age [husband:age:plain],> married [Wife]<, age [wife:age:plain],>|[Wife]<, age [wife:age:plain],> and [Husband]<, age [husband:age:plain],> married>< [desc]>< [Date]>< [PlaceDetails]>< [Place]>.

I prefer the marriage sentence prints full names so it doesn't matter what order the Narrative Ancestor report prints them in. Instead of the ages being in a separate sentence, I put the age after the name.

The only marriage sentence I tried that printed correctly when I created a Website was the RM's default marriage fact sentence: [couple] <#Couple#was|were> married< [Date]>< [PlaceDetails]>< [Place]>. Using [Husband] and [Wife] instead of [Couple] or other modifiers did not work.

To save a lot of time when playing with sentences, I have started customizing a sentence on the Edit person screen with all the sentences I want to try entered into that sentence separated by returns. Then I can see all the sentences at once on a Narrative report.

#3 Anneli111

Anneli111

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 08:40 AM

I like you fact sentence and I will use it. Thanks for your help.

However even so I still consider the above cases are bugs that should be corrected in RM.
1. Narrative reports should not print the wife instead of the husband as described above.
2. WEB reports should work for fact sentences made for marriage events
3. Edit Person Window should reflect correctly the sentence that will be printed.