• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Anneli111

Anneli111

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 12:09 PM

I find the shared facts really useful in RM for citations of e.g. census where the source is common for many persons.

Using shared facts it shows clearly if the person the main person of the source or not, which is especially good for census. For a person sharing the fact you see directly e.g. who the head of the household, or the main person etc. It shows for the children that they are living with the father and mother etc.
Since this is not a GEDCOM standard, it causes problems to share the data with others.

I see many threads in the user forums where it is recommended not to use the shared facts, since it will cause problems. And many threads today where users are asking for a convert function. I did not find it in the RM Wish list, so I raise it here, and hope that there are some other users that will add to this wish.

Since RM has this feature, and so many users are avoiding it due to it is not compatible, this is a bit negative feedback for RM in my view. Why not enhance it so it becomes usable for more users, and get some extra points compared to the other programs available.

Please, add a feature that can convert shared facts to individual facts (at GEDCOM export and with an option to chose certain fact types, or all facts) so that the data can be shared with others without loosing research.

#2 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3505 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 08:05 AM

I know and agree with what you are asking and as one who does use Shared Facts, especially in Census returns< I am thinking of how this would best work to maintain compatibility.

My first thought is that if RM Specific is unchecked on Gedcom export then the fact is output as a standard fack with the note or description field noting the association with the Sharer like "this fact was originally shared with indi nnnn"

How do you think that would work, personally I wouldn't like to lose the association but do like Shared Facts in RM.

Customers should never be frustrated by things they cannot do - demand better

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.3, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#3 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8701 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 11:55 AM

Confirming enhancement request is in our tracking system.
Renee
RootsMagic

#4 Anneli111

Anneli111

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 12:07 PM

What you describe would be really good, as you say it will maintain compatibility.

How to handle if you already have notes and description fields filled in? I would prefer the note field in this case. Even if you have other text here for me it would not matter. I would prefer to be at the beginning of the note, if other text exists.

I really like the shared facts, since it give a direct visibility of the fact in a completely different way. I started using shared facts and later on reading all suggestions on the forum that this will cause problems, tried to go and change to individual facts.

I quickly realized what a loss this is, not to use this function. So I am back using the shared facts. And back with the problem of the sharing of data with other researchers.... And hopeing someday a solution will be developed in RM.

#5 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3505 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 12:11 PM

.... And hopeing someday a solution will be developed in RM.

And hopefully someday other genealogy software providers will adopt Shared Events.

Customers should never be frustrated by things they cannot do - demand better

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.3, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#6 MVS

MVS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 06:32 AM

A submission by another User (was it perhaps you Romer?) about GEDVIEW prompted me to do some simple testing on this programs' ability to split out Shared events into individual, separate events automatically.

GEDVIEW runs on iPhones or Ipads and allows you to import a GED file to create a portable database of your Rootsmagic or other genealogy program. Like most programs it used to "lose" shared event data so it was missing from all the people who shared the event. However, in a recent release it added the ability to split out shared events into individual events against each person. which, of course, is brilliant.

GEDVIEW allows you to update information on the move and therefore has an Export facility. I have never used this before as I have only been interested in having my data to hand.

However, if you import your Rootsmagic data to GEDVIEW and then immediately EXPORT it back out you then have a GED file in which all the Shared events have been split out into individual events!

Now, I can tell you that the new GED file is not suitable to re-import back into Rootsmagic (for instance it seemed to lose the references to media in my test, but this may be bacause I did not set it up to import it in the first place). However, it may be for many users that GEDVIEW will "do enough" to allow sharing of Shared events with other users or programs that offer different features to RM. But you would need to test this out for yourself to ensure you are happy with the results. Certainly all the core details and notes came across in my test.

Gedview costs only £2.49 so it may be worth considering in the absence of a proper facility from RM itself.

Regards,, MVS.

#7 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6435 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 08:59 AM

http://forums.rootsm...iew/#entry53442

Tom user of RM7630 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.