1 reply to this topic

#1 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 02:40 PM

The thing to do is decide which fact sentences you want to combine on the Edit person screen and how you want the sentence to read.

I drag and drop people and families into my Play database and experiment before doing it in my main database.

To save some trial and error If the sentences are really complicated, I open a word processor and type the fact out as I want it to read and figure out my fact sentences as Fact 1 and Fact 2, etc. as I have below.

The following examples are not shared facts. No roles are used in the sentences although they could be if the fact was shared. Any Switches used within the sentences will also work.

First use the sort dates to sort the facts together in order and put notes and sources in the last fact.

Examples:

3 census facts with same spouse and same place.

In the 1870, 1880 and 1900 censuses, George and his first wife, Mary, lived in Washington Township, Sharp County, Arkansas.

Fact 1: <In the [Date:year]>,
Fact 2: [Date:year] and
Fact 3: [Date:year] censuses, [person:first] and his first wife, Mary, lived< [Place]>.

[I used Date:year because I enter the enumeration date for censuses and only want the year. There is no place details in my census facts so I left that out.]

2 family residence facts:

George and Mary's first home was at 121 West First Street in Cave City, Sharp County, Arkansas and their second home was at 444 South Hampton Drive in Santa Rosa, Sonoma County, California.

For family facts, [Husband] and [Wife] can be used instead of <couple> to give more versatility to the sentence.

Fact 1: [Wife:first] and [Husband:poss] first home was< [PlaceDetails]>< [Place]> and their second home was at
Fact 2: <[PlaceDetails:plain]>< [Place]>.

Note that the "at" for the place details in Fact 2 is typed in as the last word of the Fact 1 sentence. The place details in Fact 2 is [PlaceDetails:plain] so there is no "at" which would have a capital A if it was there.

The street addresses are in the place details in these examples or they could be in the description and use < [desc]>.

Emigration and Immigration facts:

He emigrated from Dover, England aboard the Merry Widow on May, 12, 1923 and arrived at Ellis Island in New York, New York County, New York, United States on May 30, 1923.

Emigration: [person] emigrated< from [Place:plain]>< aboard the [desc]>< [Date]> and arrived at
Immigration: <[PlaceDetails:plain]>< [Place]>< [date]>.

[ Note: [desc] is the ship in the Migration fact and Immigration place details is Ellis Island. The ship could be entered in the Place details in the Emigration fact and the arriving place in the description of the Immigration fact].

#2 R Steven

R Steven

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 11:09 PM

Thanks, I get it. I was locked into thinking of Fact sentences as complete sentences and not phrases.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: combine sentences, customize sentences, sentences