• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 warhorse

warhorse

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 11:20 AM

I would like to see the ability to take different files and merge them into a master file if a common ancestor is found in both files. For example, I have a Thacher file and a Martin file. Both have a Hezekiah Gorham with identical birth, marriage and death dates. The biggest difference is the the Thacher file has more verified primary sources in it than the Martin file. I would like to merge the Thacher file into the Martin file.

#2 R Steven

R Steven

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 11:51 AM

You can do this already by opening both files in RM and dragging the common name from one to the other. The trick is combining common records. After combining the two files, go to Tools/Merge and take advantage of one of the options there to combine common records. I prefer the Duplicate Search Merge usually because it lets me verify each potential merge to make sure it is legitimate and decide which data I want to use in the event of conflicts.

#3 Glenn

Glenn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 05:45 PM

I would like to see the ability to take different files and merge them into a master file if a common ancestor is found in both files. For example, I have a Thacher file and a Martin file. Both have a Hezekiah Gorham with identical birth, marriage and death dates. The biggest difference is the the Thacher file has more verified primary sources in it than the Martin file. I would like to merge the Thacher file into the Martin file.

This is probably a case of semantics, but wouldn't you want to merge the file with the least "verified primary sources" [Martin] into the one with more? That could be offset if the Martin file had "a ton" more records than the Thacher file: i.e.:
Martin file: primary sources -- 20, individuals -- 2500
Thacher file: primary sources -- 50, individuals -- 1500

Good real estate may be based on location, location, location;
but
good sources are based on citation, citation, citation!

Glenn