9 replies to this topic

#1 Jack

Jack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 03:30 AM

For the past few months I have been receiving random i/o errors from RM5 while inputting data.

The database is fine when I check it and other than the error, I'm having to no other problems with the program or, with the hard drive in question.

Typically, I run only RM5 and Chrome when researching and adding data. My file is only 118.6KB and I have lots of space remaining on the hard drive.

I believe the problem began when I moved my file to a desktop folder for Dropbox.

Anyone have any ideas what might be happening?
Jack

a posteriori

#2 R Steven

R Steven

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 06:40 AM

I have had similar problems when using files on Dropbox. The problems went away when I moved them to a dedicated folder on the computer. When I want to share the file, I then copy it to Dropbox (or a similar program) explicitly and the problem has gone away.

#3 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6213 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 08:10 AM

And you cannot have a .rmgc file so small, which suggests that its size is actually about 118MB, which is rather large. I bet that the larger the file, the greater the probability of a collision between RM and Dropbox on momentary locks for exclusive access; each needs to take longer to complete its task compared to a smaller file. I do the same as Steve not only to avoid possible contention but also to conserve my monthly Internet quota. RM writes to the database very frequently, certainly with every selection of a person, and that makes Dropbox busy detecting and finding every change and uploading it.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#4 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3524 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 09:10 AM

I have had similar problems when using files on Dropbox. The problems went away when I moved them to a dedicated folder on the computer.

I have my RM folder within Dropbox, and curiously I do not have the problem. To tell you the truth, I do not know why not - maybe just good luck. I think experiences must vary based on the size of your database and the speed and memory size of your computer and the speed of your Internet connection. As others have already said, if you are having file locking problems then your best bet is to keep your RM data outside of Dropbox and periodically (at least daily) copy your data into Dropbox. Well, the other option would be to pause Dropbox syncing while you are working on RM, and to resume Dropbox syncing when you are done with RM. It's trivial to do - just right click the Dropbox icon and click the Pause syncing or Resume synching option as appropriate. The problem for me with this procedure would remembering always to do it. :)

Actually, I have all my files that are of any significance whatsoever to me inside of Dropbox. The only minor glitch I've ever had with a program using a file at the same time Dropbox was trying to back it up was one time with Quicken (and this is over a number of years of using Dropbox in this manner). But there was no real problem. Quicken tried a second time to save the file, and succeeded the second time.

Beyond Dropbox, I also run Gensmarts and SQLiteSpy and Access against my RM database while RM is running. I've never had the slightest file locking problems with any of them. Well, you can't run any of them while RM is opening a file. But after RM initialization is complete, it all seems to work perfectly. Again, I'm not 100% sure why there isn't a problem.

Finally, there have been some comments on this forum about RM itself locking a database for the duration of the time the file is open. But that's obviously never been implemented. If it had been, then I would not be able to run Gensmarts and SQLiteSpy and Access against my RM database while its being used by RM.

Jerry

#5 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6213 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 09:49 AM

SQLite itself puts a lock during a write, to the best of my understanding. It's multiple-read, exclusive-write, which is why it is not a good choice for a database server. So it depends what you are doing with the other programs that open the database using SQLite; if they are reading only, then there should be no conflict. I cannot say what Dropbox does - there was a more frequent issue early in the coexistence of RM and DropBox that was supposedly resolved but I think it arose from a change in RM that was reversed.

SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#6 Jack

Jack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 11:43 PM

I never thought about Dropbox uploading each time the RM file changes. I think I need to move my RM DB back to a folder under RM.

Thanks all! Good comments and very likely the solution I needed.
Jack

a posteriori

#7 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8413 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 11:01 AM

I have had my RM database (.rmgc) file inside Dropbox for quite a while now. Well that is until recently. Suddenly Dropbox corrupted my database and threw SQLite errors at me. I restored my backup outside of Dropbox and everything was fine. Moved the file back into Dropbox and it corrupted it again. Burnt twice don't need a third time. So for now on I have my default folder for my backups on Dropbox and my database outside of Dropbox. Nightly I copy my database to Dropbox and my backups to my computer just to be safe and keep things synced.

Recently I talked to someone else that wasn't having this issue and we discovered we had different version of Dropbox. My version is 1.4.7 so I don't know if Dropbox made some changes that effect reading and writing to your database file.
Renee
RootsMagic

#8 Jack

Jack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 06:01 PM

Recently I talked to someone else that wasn't having this issue and we discovered we had different version of Dropbox. My version is 1.4.7 so I don't know if Dropbox made some changes that effect reading and writing to your database file.

Renee, where do I look to find version no.?

I have not had a single I/O error since moving my working file out of my Dropbox folder!
Jack

a posteriori

#9 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6213 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 08:45 PM

I see the version when I hover the mouse cursor over the Dropbox icon in the Task bar (you know, the little area next to where the date and time display).

#10 Jack

Jack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 04:38 PM

Thanks Tom!
Jack

a posteriori