• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Esse

Esse

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 05:58 AM

I've found one or two people on my tree shown on various passenger lists available to view online and would like to add the info as a fact in their record.

How do I set up a new 'Passenger' fact-type so the sentence would read something like "[so & so] travelled as a passenger from [thatplace] to [thisplace] arriving on [such&suchadate]?

I've found how to add a new fact-type but the sentence coding is defeating me. Can you make the template show both a to and a from place, or isn't that possible? Should I simply add in a custom sentence each time?

#2 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 07:08 AM

With the description field enabled, your sentence could.read: [Person]] departed< Place:plain>< as a passenger on the Placedetails:plain]>< and arrived in [Desc]< on [Date:plain]>.

John Smith departed Bristol, England as a passenger on the Mary Jane and arrived in New York City, United States of America on 1 June 1855.

Enter the ship, train, etc. in the Place details
Enter the departing place in the Place
Enter the arriving place in the description

If a person emmigrated to a new country to stay not just to travell, I use both the Emmigration and Immigration facts and combine the sentences on the Edit person screen if I know where they left from and where they went to.

The description is enabled and < as a passenger on the [Desc]>, is in both facts sentences in case I am only going to use one of the facts and enter the ship's name. When I combine both facts, the ship's name goes in the Emmigration fact.

#3 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1621 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 08:09 AM

If you are not going to use a gedcom, then make a new fact type. BUT I use Immigration like Laura suggested. It's works well and exports correctly with a gedcom. :)

Genealogy:
"I work on genealogy only on days that end in "Y"." [Grin!!!]
from www.GenealogyDaily.com.
"Documentation....The hardest part of genealogy"
"Genealogy is like Hide & Seek: They Hide & I Seek!"
" Genealogists: People helping people.....that's what it's all about!"
from http://www.rootsweb....nry/gentags.htm
Using FO and RM since FO2.0 

#4 Esse

Esse

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 08:40 AM

Thanks for your help - that all makes sense. I've not used gedcom files so far and hadn't considered that aspect, but that isn't to say I may want to later on.

#5 R Steven

R Steven

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 10:53 AM

If a person emmigrated to a new country to stay not just to travell, I use both the Emmigration and Immigration facts and combine the sentences on the Edit person screen if I know where they left from and where they went to.

The description is enabled and < as a passenger on the [Desc]>, is in both facts sentences in case I am only going to use one of the facts and enter the ship's name. When I combine both facts, the ship's name goes in the Emmigration fact.

I was interested in your statement that you combined the sentences for immigration and emigration facts on the Edit person screen. How do you do that?

#6 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6160 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 12:10 PM

Some earlier explanation here.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#7 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 12:16 PM

I am on my phone so I willl give you the forum search to find the post where I combined these 2 facts together.

Search combine sentences. Read: Stringing sentences together in narrative reports.

#8 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 02:56 PM

I started a topic, "Combining sentences on the Edit person screen", in the RootsMagic 5, Tips and Tricks forum today. I did change it a little from my "Stringing sentences together in narrative reports" and other posts.