• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 J Elting

J Elting

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 03:50 PM

I would like to see an enhancement that when we enter the death fact for our ancestors, we could indicate if they were unmarried. I visualize the death fact containing a radio button that we could check if unmarried at death.

#2 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 01:47 PM

Would there be a drop down menu including Married, Single, Unknown on the list?

How would that data be used?

Just visually on the Edit person screen like the Proof check boxes?

Automatically printed in a Narrative, Family Group Sheet, Individual summary report? Would there be a Person option to add to the sentence like [Person:Age]?

Why would it be of any more benefit that just entering Single in the Death description field. With Single in the description, you could search for that keyword which I doubt you could do with just a checked box as you can't search for the choices marked for Proof?

I have few ancestors that I can say that I absolutely have proof they were single when they died. Even a death certificate can have the wrong marital status. Even if I have a death date for a spouse, I have no way of knowing whether the surviving spouse remarried, and I just have no knowledge of a later marriage.

#3 R Steven

R Steven

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 01:01 PM

How would that data be used?

I occasionally come across evidence that a person died without having married or without having issue. It's useful for me to record this information so that others (or myself) don't spend time looking for a spouse or children I know don't exist.

Why would it be of any more benefit that just entering Single in the Death description field. With Single in the description, you could search for that keyword which I doubt you could do with just a checked box as you can't search for the choices marked for Proof?

One advantage to a check box over a comment is a standardization of how the information is communicated. If I share my file with someone else who has used a different standard, they might not find my evidence that a person died single, childless, or unmarried if I used a different system then they to indicate this fact. (Of course, since this isn't a standard GEDCOM fact, reporting this information between programs is will problematic...)

#4 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1621 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 01:58 PM

My sentence template for the Death fact is [person] died< [Desc]>< [Date]>< [person:Age]>< [PlaceDetails]>< [Place]>. I use the <[desc]> to tell if single, extract other information, like parents, birth inf, locations etc... or your choice....

The sentence prints out like: "Ollie died as a widow with Cancer of Rectum, Intestinal Obstruction on 12 Nov 1952 at the age of 80 in Redwood Falls, Redwood County, Minnesota."

To me if you do this, why have a radio button for those items? as you are working with in the persons Edit Person detail list that sentence shows. Also will be available in the FGS, and Narrative Report. Sorry I do not get the need nor in favor of/for a radio button. :(

If you need to find more information, then use the ToDo list or !Problem list. Easier to find to work on.... :)

Genealogy:
"I work on genealogy only on days that end in "Y"." [Grin!!!]
from www.GenealogyDaily.com.
"Documentation....The hardest part of genealogy"
"Genealogy is like Hide & Seek: They Hide & I Seek!"
" Genealogists: People helping people.....that's what it's all about!"
from http://www.rootsweb....nry/gentags.htm
Using FO and RM since FO2.0 

#5 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 10:26 PM

I occasionally come across evidence that a person died without having married or without having issue. It's useful for me to record this information so that others (or myself) don't spend time looking for a spouse or children I know don't exist.

One advantage to a check box over a comment is a standardization of how the information is communicated. If I share my file with someone else who has used a different standard, they might not find my evidence that a person died single, childless, or unmarried if I used a different system then they to indicate this fact. (Of course, since this isn't a standard GEDCOM fact, reporting this information between programs is will problematic...)

Problematic is an understatement. :) Another genealogy program would not import any information from the check box unless the other program was specifically programed to do so. That is highly unlikely.

And even if the gedcom was exported checking Extra details (RM specific) and imported into RM, another person would never know that box had been checked unless they opened a person's Edit person screen and saw it.

The best place to put that type of data to be imported into another genealogy program would probably be in the Person note or a fact note.

I want specific data like never married, had no children, etc. spelled out and entered somewhere that is searchable and can probably be searched for or at least read in the person's data in another program. And where I can read it on the Edit person screen without having to highlight the fact to see a label and checkmark.

I use user defined facts, but I could use the Miscellaneous fact description field which most programs will import OK.

#6 JPCarolus

JPCarolus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 02:16 PM

I have found the Miscellaneous fact works well for this. I just enter in the description "was never married and/or had no children." The sentence will print out as "John Doe was never married." or "John Doe was never married and had no children." This shows up in narrative reports and family group sheets. I do have several ancestors (specifically my mother's aunts and uncles, who died in their late teens or early 20's and were never married, had no children. Also several older aunts and uncles that I personally knew that this applied to.)

#7 Ludlow Bay

Ludlow Bay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 867 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 06:51 PM

I do have several ancestors (specifically my mother's aunts and uncles, who died in their late teens or early 20's and were never married, had no children.

Your mother's aunts and uncles are not your ancestors. ;) ;)

#8 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 07:06 PM

If you get right down to it, none of your ancestors died childless. :unsure:
Alfred

#9 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1621 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 09:35 PM

Aunts and uncles no matter what generation are related to you just not Direct Line ancestors. They do belong in my database as they are part of my family and if need I add notes to the marriage fact to document no children and the information came from ?? ____ or said there was none. Have found no children in family was not always true.

Genealogy:
"I work on genealogy only on days that end in "Y"." [Grin!!!]
from www.GenealogyDaily.com.
"Documentation....The hardest part of genealogy"
"Genealogy is like Hide & Seek: They Hide & I Seek!"
" Genealogists: People helping people.....that's what it's all about!"
from http://www.rootsweb....nry/gentags.htm
Using FO and RM since FO2.0 

#10 JPCarolus

JPCarolus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 02:54 PM

okay, editing. ;) "I have several RELATIVES in my database that Mom or I personally know/knew died single or had no children." I am trying to state I don't make the assumption that one wasn't married or had no children, but if I know these people personally (such as my sister and her husband) and know that they have no children, I will enter such in my database. I never make that assumption. Any information in the database can be changed if an assumption is later proven to be false.

#11 John_of_Ross_County

John_of_Ross_County

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 06:58 PM

Make a new family fact called, "No issue." The sentence template reads [Couple] had no children. I do not use it often, but it works for me.

#12 JPCarolus

JPCarolus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 07:14 PM

I like that. Thank you!

#13 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 09:53 PM

You can use [wife:first] and [husband] instead of [couple]. If just one of the spouses had never had children, you could costumize the sentence and use [husband] or [wife].

#14 Glenn

Glenn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 08:32 PM

. . .you could costumize the sentence. . .

Your sentence is only a week late for Halloween, poor thing! ^_^
Sorry Laura, but I couldn't resist!

Good real estate may be based on location, location, location;
but
good sources are based on citation, citation, citation!

Glenn