2 replies to this topic

#1 rwcrooks

rwcrooks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 12:48 PM

So, here's the story. I'm researching, adding and documenting individuals and as I'm putting this one in who I'm interested in seeing the exact relationship to me (she's the daughter of Abraham Martin who owned the farm that became known as "The Plains of Abraham" - big battle in Canada) and I run the relationship chart and find out she's not related.

That seemed strange, since I was following an unbroken line backwards from me. After some additional research it turned out that she is the grandmother of the second wife of one of my male ancestors. My line descends from his first wife.

So, it seems that I took an unintended detour and ended up with a bunch of non-blood related people in my database. Now, I'm sure that there will be a connection or two formed as I follow different lines back. After all, Quebec in the 1600 and 1700s was a fairly inbred place - especially in the smaller parishes.

What I'd like to do is somehow find there unrelated people. I can envision a report that you'd pick a starting individual and it would ripple through the database running a relationship check on each person to see if there is a relationship and print a list of those people with no relationships (although it should make an exception for individuals married to one of my relations - for example my brother's wife would be considered related to me, but my brother's wife's sister wouldn't be considered related to me.)

Does anyone know if there is a method of producing such a report? They're all in a single tree, so counting trees won't work.

#2 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1621 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 03:45 PM

Go to Reports/ choose All Reports and use Relationship Chart....

Genealogy:
"I work on genealogy only on days that end in "Y"." [Grin!!!]
from www.GenealogyDaily.com.
"Documentation....The hardest part of genealogy"
"Genealogy is like Hide & Seek: They Hide & I Seek!"
" Genealogists: People helping people.....that's what it's all about!"
from http://www.rootsweb....nry/gentags.htm
Using FO and RM since FO2.0 

#3 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 03:55 PM

You could also make it very visual on the screens by using color coding. Always practice color coding in a separate database. I copied my database and gave it the name of Color Coding trials to Play in.

When I finish color coding, the people will be color coded according to this criteria:

Silver = people not blood related to you
Blue = blood relation
Green = spouse married to blood relation

The first thing to do is make a group of your beginning of the line ancestors. There are various ways to find the beginning of the line. You can run the lines back on the Pedigree view, do a Pedigree chart, do a Narrative, Register report.

1. Color code everyone in the database Silver or what ever color you want for people who are not blood related to you or the spouse of a blood relative.

2. Create a Group of the beginning of the line ancestors. I include just the males as I have no female beginning of the line acestor that doesn't have a spouse.

3. In People view, select the ancestory Group as the filter for that view.

4. Highlight each ancestor in turn and color code them to Green, marking Descendants of current person and Include spouses.

5. Highlight each ancestor again and color code them to Blue, marking Descendants of current person and unmarking include spouses. Caution, be sure to unmark the include spouses for this step as it is marked by default.

If you don't want the married spouses to be green, do step 4 and color code as Blue.

I found my beginning ancestors once and added a user defined fact, My B of L, to the beginning of the line ancestors to use as a search criteria long before we had a Group feature. So I used the fact as my search criteria for the color coding without using a Group and just Color coding.

Color code Green, choose Select from a list, click on Find. I could use Blue if I wanted the non blood spouses to be Blue instead of Green, and I would be finished after the first color coding step.

Search:
My B of L exists is true
AND Sex is male

For highlighted person go to Mark people, Descendants of highlighted person. On next screen, choose Descendants and spouses and number of generations.

Choose Next to go to the next person and repeat the steps for Mark people.

When finished, click OK.

Then color code again choosing Direct descendants only. When you reopen Color coding, your search criteria for Find will still be there.

If you have color coded the non blood spouses Green, you can then make a Group and check each spouse to see if you also want to color code their parents and siblings Green or another color. This can be useful if you want to include the parents and/or siblings in a gedcom.

You can use the Color coding as search criteria for Groups or for various reports or criteria in exporting gedcoms.

If you color code any new people you add when you add them or if you make a Group, add that person to the Group, you will not have to do the whole thing again.