Photo

How can I merge a database into another?

Merge

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 leighstulack

leighstulack

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 06:55 PM

I apologize if this is a silly question. I have a "master" database. I created a separate one to try and flesh out a connection and finally made one (yay!)> Now I don't want to retype all of this new data into the master db. I want to add it into my master db via the main link/person. Can I do that? Any help greatly appreciated.

Leigh
--
Leigh Stulack

#2 R Steven

R Steven

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 07:45 PM

There are a couple of ways you can do this. The most convenient way depends on how many duplicate people here are in the two databases. If there aren't very many, you can export the smaller database as a GEDCOM file and then import it into your "master" database. You do this using the Export and Import choices in the File menu. When you import it, be sure to pick the choice to Combine Into This Database. You then have a choice on whether to add a citation to each of the people you are adding indicating where the data came from. (It doesn't sound like this is appropriate in your particular case.) After adding in the new records, you'll want to check for duplicates using manual or automatic merge.

If there are a lot of duplicate records in the two databases, but only a few records to add, another way might be better. After opening your "master" database, open the smaller database at the same time. RoomsMagic will show both files on the screen. You can then drag and drop people from one window into the other. When you do so you have the choice of adding a single person, a person and their descendants, everyone in the tree, people you select form a list, and so forth. After combining the two files in this way, you may again want to do an automatic or manual merge to combine duplicates.

#3 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6160 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 08:01 PM

Because drag and drop can include the transfer of everyone, there really is no reason to do a GEDCOM export-import other than the addition of a common source to every person.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#4 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 09:14 PM

You can use Lists, Source list, Multicite to add a source to your choice of persons. If you want that source to also be linked to facts, use a gedcom.

I prefer to merge manually, so I would Color Code the people in the smaller database Red before I drag and dropped them into the main database. Then I could use the color coding to check each person to see if they needed to be merged with a person already in that database.

#5 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 01:43 AM

Back up or copy your main database before adding the smaller database.

#6 odyhill

odyhill

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 01:17 PM

Newby here and this is all greek so far, I just bought the rootsmagic4 and transfered my trees from FTM v11. I had a family tree for a dad, and his wife is on a separate tree, nothing else on either tree except their direct ancesters and kids. I want to create a data base with both families into one complete family tree. I got both families on the screen, now at this point I have 2 trees on the screen plus 2 lists of folks. I trie to drag the oldest daughter from one tree to the same daughter on the other tree and then I clicked on manual merge and get double page, one says Primary person other says duplicate person, so I go back to tools and click automatic merges, it has 4 what look to be choices but they are all checked and then ther is a button on the bottom that says begin merges. I hit it and nothing happened, I guess I figured all the blank openings to be filled with her ancesters but that didn't happen, I guess I also expected a thingy on the screen to pop up and tell me to give the new data base a name. now I go back and look and notice that this daughter has 2 husbands and he has 2 wives. At this point I feek like I'm solid concrete from the shoulders up. "I say all that to say to say this" (Richard Nixon quote) HEEELP

#7 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1621 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 01:46 PM

Go to The webinars page http://www.rootsmagic.com/webinars/ Lots of choices but watch 7 and 40 you probably will get your answer. If it was me, I would merge the two same people no matter what the ID number is, I look at the dates and other items to see if they are the same person. Good Luck.

Genealogy:
"I work on genealogy only on days that end in "Y"." [Grin!!!]
from www.GenealogyDaily.com.
"Documentation....The hardest part of genealogy"
"Genealogy is like Hide & Seek: They Hide & I Seek!"
" Genealogists: People helping people.....that's what it's all about!"
from http://www.rootsweb....nry/gentags.htm
Using FO and RM since FO2.0 

#8 leighstulack

leighstulack

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 06:50 PM

There are a couple of ways you can do this. The most convenient way depends on how many duplicate people here are in the two databases. If there aren't very many, you can export the smaller database as a GEDCOM file and then import it into your "master" database. You do this using the Export and Import choices in the File menu. When you import it, be sure to pick the choice to Combine Into This Database. You then have a choice on whether to add a citation to each of the people you are adding indicating where the data came from. (It doesn't sound like this is appropriate in your particular case.) After adding in the new records, you'll want to check for duplicates using manual or automatic merge.

If there are a lot of duplicate records in the two databases, but only a few records to add, another way might be better. After opening your "master" database, open the smaller database at the same time. RoomsMagic will show both files on the screen. You can then drag and drop people from one window into the other. When you do so you have the choice of adding a single person, a person and their descendants, everyone in the tree, people you select form a list, and so forth. After combining the two files in this way, you may again want to do an automatic or manual merge to combine duplicates.

Thanks all! R Steven-I tried the drag and drop (which I didn't know about) and it worked PERFECTLY. Thank you so much!
--
Leigh Stulack