5 replies to this topic

#1 snowathlete

snowathlete

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 10:40 AM

Having just upgraded from Essentials to Stand, one of the new features that I was looking forward to was Color Coding.
I wanted it because my project is looking at all families of a particular name, of which there are about 15 different families of unique origin, but the exact same surname. I thought that if i could color code them that would help me pick them apart.

It wasnt quite what i imagined. I thought the text would remain black and the background would change color. I think id have prefered that, but its not terrible that the text changes. I forsee though that I will run out of colors - any chance of more colors getting added?

I also expected an option to set all descendents including all linked records. i.e. spouses parents and their families as well, going up the tree if necessary. Any chance of that being a new option in future releases?

I'd also really like to filter by colour on the index view.

Maybe you can already do some these things but I dont know how?

Thanks

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6257 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 02:33 PM

I'd also really like to filter by colour on the index view.

You can create a Named Group based on colour. Select that group in the index sidebar to list only its members.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 snowathlete

snowathlete

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 02:41 PM

Excellent, I will give that a go. Thanks Tom!

#4 R Steven

R Steven

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 08:00 PM

You can get a pretty good list of linked descendants in the color coding by choosing the "People Selected from a List" option. In that dialog box, check the person whose descendants you're interested in. Now click in the Mark group button and choose Descendants of highlighted person. In the next box, select Descendants and collateral lines and the number of generations you'd like.

#5 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3595 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 08:07 AM

You can create a Named Group based on colour. Select that group in the index sidebar to list only its members.

Minor correction: it's actually the Group sidebar rather than the Index sidebar that filters by Group. The Group sidebar functions like the Index sidebar except with a filter applied.

Also, filtering by Group is available in the People view, but alas not in any of the other main views such as Pedigree, Family, or Descendant.

In general, the technique of color coding a collection of people and then creating a Group from that color coding is very powerful, and I highly recommend it. I wish you could go in the other direction just as easily - to create a Group and then to color code based on Group membership.

Jerry

#6 snowathlete

snowathlete

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 01:20 PM

You can get a pretty good list of linked descendants in the color coding by choosing the "People Selected from a List" option. In that dialog box, check the person whose descendants you're interested in. Now click in the Mark group button and choose Descendants of highlighted person. In the next box, select Descendants and collateral lines and the number of generations you'd like.

Thanks R Steven, thats very helpful. I chose the all people in this persons tree option, and that worked great. Really helpful to have this forum to point out things you havent found out how to do.

And thanks Jerry too - I have also sucessfully created some groups by the same means so the groups match the color coding.

Together, the color coding and the grouping are really powerful.