• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 IBPete

IBPete

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 09:11 AM

I have three version of Rootsmagic (3,4,5) complete with registration keys, my question is can I give to my friends the old verisions (3&4) with the keys and not have them linked to me or my account. Can the old registration keys be assign to a new members without any additional charges, the old versions have been paid for already. Thanking you in advance for any help.

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8490 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 10:03 AM

We would prefer that you give them RootsMagic 5 Essentials (free version) instead. We would much rather not have to support older versions of the software.

For your license, basically if you paid the upgrade price you shouldn't do this. If you paid the full price for a new version, then you can do it.

Make sure if you give them your older programs that they register it under their name. Some RootsMagic 3 license keys are tied to your name, they would have to try it and see if it works with their name.

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 Glenn

Glenn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 11:47 AM

Renee: I thought (there I go again :rolleyes: ) that once a new version was out, the old one ceased to be supported, period.

IBPete: IMHO, Renee and RootsMagic are very generous with their permission(s).
Also, why would your friends want an "antique", especially Version 3, if they intend to sharpen their genealogical knowledge and usage?

Good real estate may be based on location, location, location;
but
good sources are based on citation, citation, citation!

Glenn

#4 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2073 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 12:05 PM

Prior versions are still supported -- they're just no longer updated.

#5 IBPete

IBPete

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 08:43 PM

Thanks for the reply, the reason behind giving them the antique is like casting a fishing line with some good old bait. Once they try RootsMagic I don't think there will be no turning back and would later go to the update. I am ALWAYS trying to talk or sell this program to anyone that will listen. Thanks for your help.

#6 Glenn

Glenn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 10:06 AM

Prior versions are still supported -- they're just no longer updated.

Thanks, Romer for the clarification. :)

We would much rather not have to support older versions of the software.

Renee:
I'm guessing your "druthers" are based on time taken away from the active version and not that supporting older version is more difficult.

Good real estate may be based on location, location, location;
but
good sources are based on citation, citation, citation!

Glenn

#7 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 01:09 PM

This is only my opinion on supporting or helping people with older versions.

If someone asks about an older version, I have to try to remember how it worked there.
I cannot remember that well, so I have to load the older version and check it out.
With the present version, it is already loaded and handy for checking my memory.
Alfred