9 replies to this topic

#1 Brenda Hare

Brenda Hare

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 07:45 PM

I realize this is a small request, but I would like to have the ability to change the color of a person's name with a right mouse click instead of going up to TOOLS and finding it that way.

I would also like RM5 to keep the same color, instead of going back to the default red.

Often times, I am picking a color (blue) that tells me I am looking at someone who was not born in the USA. (I am a Registrar for DAR - Daughters of the American Revolution, and often do other people's research for them. When I hit one of their ancestors who was NOT born in the USA before the Revolutionary War (1775-1783) I stop working on that line and go to another line. Often times, I will find multiple groups of ancestors for a prospective member that came over about the same time. I would like to be able to color code husband and wife a bit easier than it is right now, and color them with the same color, instead of going back to change "red" to "blue".

Thank you,
Brenda

#2 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 12:21 AM

Accessing the Color code screen from the right click menu, might be nice. But you don't have to go to Tools, Color Code People to get the Color code screen.

On any main screen except WebSearch, highlight the person and type CTRL+C. Choose your color and choose who to color code.

RM's default color is Black. If you clear a color it will return to Black, not Red. Red is just the first color on the drop down menu where you choose the color. If you choose Red instead of Blue from the dropdown box, then that person will be colored Red.

When color coding just a husband and wife, it is easiest to color code them separately using Highlighted person.

For color coding ancestors, highlight the person on the main screen. Choose your color from the drop down menu.

Check Ancestors of current person if you want all that person's ancestors color coded the same color.

If you want to choose the number of generations of that person's ancestors that are color coded the same color, click on People selected from a list. Highlight the person in the list. Click on Mark Group and Ancestors of highlighted person. On the next screen, choose Ancestors only and the number of generations.

Experiment with color coding in a play database until you are sure you are changing color coding for the right persons so you don't mess up the main database color coding.

#3 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1655 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 11:03 AM

Strongly suggest to download and use the RM V 4 tip Sheet that works with RM V 5. https://docs.google....K/edit?hl=en_US Thanks to Bill B. who did a very nice job, finding all the controls. A very useful tool for working in RM. :)

This is how a lot of us found useful ways of getting around in RM.

Genealogy:
"I work on genealogy only on days that end in "Y"." [Grin!!!]
from www.GenealogyDaily.com.
"Documentation....The hardest part of genealogy"
"Genealogy is like Hide & Seek: They Hide & I Seek!"
" Genealogists: People helping people.....that's what it's all about!"
from http://www.rootsweb....nry/gentags.htm
Using FO and RM since FO2.0 

#4 snowathlete

snowathlete

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 04:29 PM

I may be mistaken but I think what the OP was talking about regarding the colour red being the default is a scenario such as this:
You select some people and open the colour coder. You select, say, yellow. You apply and close the color coder. Then you might look at your person list and think: ah, I meant to make that person there yellow as well. So you open the color coder, select the person and apply. But wait, they aren't yellow, they are red. Damn!

This happens because your expectation as a user is that RM remembered the color you were last using in the previous color coding session. In this case yellow. But it doesnt, it just defaults to red because that is the first color in the list.

Not a bug but pretty annoying. ESPECIALLY if you don't notice when that person, or group of people turn red instead of yellow.

#5 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 08:23 PM

It wouldn't necessarily help me if RM remembered my last color choice was Yellow because I am just as likely to want the next color code to be Blue or Brown or Navy, etc.., and Yellow would be just as much the wrong color choice as Red.

I use Red only for a temporary color when I researching a specific search criteria. I don't use it for permanent color coding of my family groups. I do have a user defined fact, !Color, with the color the person should be in the discription field. If I use Red for a specific search, I can pretty quickly change all the color coding back when I am through.

#6 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8491 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 12:45 PM

Confirming enhancement requests are in our tracking system.
Renee
RootsMagic

#7 John_of_Ross_County

John_of_Ross_County

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 663 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 09:21 PM

How about adding a protective question for deleting all colors? I do not keep a permanent set of color coding, but some users do. "Do you really want to delete all colors? Y/N"

#8 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8491 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 11:16 AM

How about adding a protective question for deleting all colors? I do not keep a permanent set of color coding, but some users do. "Do you really want to delete all colors? Y/N"

Confirming enhancement request is in our tracking system.
Renee
RootsMagic

#9 LornaHen

LornaHen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 05:22 PM

Thank you all for this thread.

I went looking to see if someone had already requested adding colour changing to the right click menu, and learnt about Ctrl+C as a result.

My request has changed to
Please set the default cursor position when you use Ctrl+C to be on the colour selection or probably more safely on the Set colour,  rather than the Cancel it currently is.

Alternately make the tab from the cancel take you to the set colour rather than the OK button

#10 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8491 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 10:41 AM

Confirming enhancement request is in our tracking system.

Renee
RootsMagic