Photo

Can't login to FamilySearch - they made a change?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 GaryK

GaryK

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 08:28 AM

The program points to www.new.familysearch.org which does not accept my login. So, I sent them an email because I could not log into the new site. This is their response.
Now what?

You do indeed have an account with us. You need to be signing in at this site: https://familysearch.org. This is the "new face" of the old site that you were used to using. You
will find here the Collections that you were used to before - but in a slightly different format. You will be able to view many original documents as well as to search and to browse many new collections.

We have attached a document below that may help you in your search process. Click anywhere on the blue link to open the attachment.
Sincerely,

FamilySearch
Patron and Partner Services
support@familysearch.org

#2 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2042 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:41 AM

new FamilySearch (nFS) is the community family tree feature at FamilySearch that will soon be replaced by FamilySearch Family Tree.

It sounds as though you may instead be wanting to access the FamilySearch record collection, which can be done in the program by going to the WebSearch view. From there, choose FamilySearch from the dropdown list of providers, then click on the Search FamilySearch button to search through the FamilySearch record collection for the person highlighted in the database.

If you were otherwise intending to register for nFS, do so at https://new.familysearch.org. There's a "Register for the new FamilySearch" link toward the bottom of the page. Some people may not need to register and can determine their status by reading the information under the "Do I need to register?" link. Not sure if you'll be put on a waiting list as had been the case or if people are now being granted immediate access.

#3 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3277 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:42 AM

Are you a member of the LDS church. Newfamilysearch has not yet been released to non-membets.

Laura

The following was overheard at a recent high society party...
"My ancestry goes all the way back to Alexander the Great," said one lady. She then turned to a second woman and asked, "How far does your family go back?"
"I don't know," was the reply. "All of our records were lost in the flood."
-on various web sites-

#4 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2042 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:54 AM

nFS actually can be accessed by those who aren't LDS members. Not sure if it's all who've previously registered or just some. I registered some time ago and was put on a waiting list. A few weeks or so back, I tried to log in at the website and was successful. I never received any confirmation that I'd been granted access (and still haven't).

If you have access, I believe that you can also use your login at https://www.familysearch.org and access Family Tree via a "Family Tree" link toward the top of the page. (The link doesn't appear unless you're logged in.) People are being encouraged to use Family Tree instead of nFS since the latter will be phased out early this coming year.

RM5 doesn't yet work with FamilyTree, but ongoing work is being made toward that goal. Check out this thread for more information and further discussion:

http://forums.rootsm...rch-family-tree

#5 GaryK

GaryK

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 01:56 PM

I did not attach my question to Family Search, so I don't think my problem is being addressed.

If I try to create a new account at www.new.familysearch.org, there is an option for a non LDS member. However If I use my real name, it says there is an account with that name. If I sign in with my www.familysearch.org account, I get the following message:
Members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Please contact your ward clerk to ensure your Church membership record is correct and in your local unit. If your record is in order, the new FamilySearch website may not be available in your area.
Volunteers who previously used new.familysearch.org.
Click here to combine your previous and new accounts.
General public. Look for a future announcement when you will have access to new.familysearch.org.
________________________________________________________________________________
When I sent them a message that I neew to access the NEW site, they responded with the note from my first message:

Dear Gary,
Thank you for contacting FamilySearch regarding your registration difficulties.

You do indeed have an account with us. You need to be signing in at this site: https://familysearch.org. This is the "new face" of the old site that you were used to using. You
will find here the Collections that you were used to before - but in a slightly different format. You will be able to view many original documents as well as to search and to browse many new collections.

We have attached a document below that may help you in your search process. Click anywhere on the blue link to open the attachment.
Sincerely,

FamilySearch

It seems like I am caught in a loop between what they say and what this site says.
They are implying that the NEW has been dropped if I understand correctly.

Help! What now???

#6 Glenn

Glenn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 02:51 PM

When I went to http://www.new.familysearch.org/, and used my user name and password, I got a Welcome page with four tabs.
1. Home
2. Me and My Ancestors, where I found
Start of a family tree with three boxes started:
Glenn – add or find wife;
Father box – add or find husband, add or find wife
Child box – add or find child
Summary box for myself containing
Person identifier: L89H-P22 which I’m guessing has the same purpose as the record number in RM DB’s
Name & Gender (filled in and “clickable”) with edit buttons for each; Contributors – “glenn3” for each, also “clickable”)
The rest of the page has similar actions comparable to RM DB.

When I went to https://familysearch.org/, I got a search page with boxes for first and last names; plus search by life events, relationships and batch number.

I took a cursory look at “Do I need to register”, but I didn’t see any reason I would need to since I was able to search at http://www.new.familysearch.org/ above.

Good real estate may be based on location, location, location;
but
good sources are based on citation, citation, citation!

Glenn

#7 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2042 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 02:55 PM

Your account is not ready for new.familysearch.org.

General public. Look for a future announcement when you will have access to new.familysearch.org.

Looks as though you have an account with FamilySearch.org, but not with new.FamilySearch.org. My guess based on the portions I've quoted above, is that access is still being rolled out in waves. Sounds as though a future announcement should be forthcoming, but I'd still try logging in from time to time in case your situation was like mine, and you don't get notified.

Actually, when you log in via FamilySearch.org, do you see a "Family Tree" link presented to you toward the top of the page? I'm thinking that you won't have it until new FamilySearch access is granted, at which time you'll get both, but wanted to make sure.

#8 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2042 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 02:57 PM

Glenn, sounds as though you have access to nFS. When logging in to the FamilySearch.org site, look also to see if you have the "Family Tree" linkable text toward the top of the page. Family Tree will be replacing nFS.

Regardless, I'm assuming that the nFS features in the RM5 program should be available to you, and they'll continue to work until the program is updated to interact with Family Tree. You can, of course, instead or in addition, access either nFS or Family Tree via their appropriate websites outside of RM5.

#9 Glenn

Glenn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 04:42 PM

Romer

The left "semi-pane" contains the User Name and Password boxes with the sign-in button.
The right pane contains headings FamilySearch Web Site and More Great Products. Below these headings are thumbnail-and-word links to each of these places.

I'm not too sure if I'll be adding to the web site at least until all the bugs are resolved; also because of my understanding of Ancestry (which I asked about at least a year ago) that they assume ownership of all that I had uploaded to them. I also understood that ACDC was related to LDS.

On a side note: "I wish I had thought of this earlier when New FamilySearch had first notified that they were beginning their incremental roll out."

"All forum members: Check once daily and post here as soon as you have access to nFS. Then maybe we can determine when the rest of us will have access!"

Well, it would have been interesting to have seen if there were any special directions, i.e., By cities within States and with states in alpha order or order of admission. :rolleyes:

but

Glenn

#10 Ludlow Bay

Ludlow Bay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 780 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 05:08 PM

I'm not too sure if I'll be adding to the web site at least until all the bugs are resolved; also because of my understanding of Ancestry (which I asked about at least a year ago) that they assume ownership of all that I had uploaded to them. I also understood that ACDC was related to LDS.

Your understanding of Ancestry.com is incorrect. It is your responsibility, as a user, to read the Terms and Conditions of every website you access. By doing so, you educate yourself with the facts, right from the source, and you prevent yourself from assuming, or spreading, mis-truths and half-truths. For Ancestry.com, that means clicking the appropriate link at the bottom of any Ancestry web page.

As for ACDC, I can assure you that there is no relationship between an Australian heavy-metal band and the LDS church. ;)

#11 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 3997 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 08:42 AM

It is my understand that everyone is being accepted that requests an invitation to FamilySearch Family Tree. FS Family Tree is available on the www.familysearch.org website when you login. To request an invite go to: https://www.familyse.../familytree_tab

In a matter of days or weeks this invite will no longer be needed. Access to Family Tree will be available to everyone To edit you will need to be registered and signed in.

RootsMagic is still working on the ability to sync with Family Tree. It will not be released in an update or upgrade to RootsMagic until FamilySearch gives the ok for RootsMagic to do so. All features are still not available yet in the API.

I have heard that if you get Family Tree access that you will automatically obtain access to New FamilySearch (NFS) that is available at http://new.familysearch.org . This is the website that is currently being accessed by RootsMagic. Family Tree will be the replacement to NFS. So the data is being moved between both sites.

Having current access to NFS does not mean you automatically have access to Family Tree. You have to request the invite.

Could someone please confirm that when they gain access to Family Tree they also have the ability to login to NFS. I'm sharing a rumor here and am not positive that is currently the fact. It might be something available in a couple of weeks.

Please keep in mind that NFS is very unstable right now. It is affecting the ability to login, etc. There isn't anything that RootsMagic can do about it since it's a FamilySearch issue. This is just going to be par for the course until NFS is totally replaced by Family Tree.

Also keep in mind that there are two trees on FamilySearch.org. Without being signed in right now you will see under "Discover Your Family History" a link to TREES. This is NOT the FamilySearch Family Tree. When you login with Family Tree access you will see a new link appear called "FAMILY TREE". It will follow the FamilySearch logo, and be before the Learn link.
Renee
RootsMagic

#12 Ludlow Bay

Ludlow Bay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 780 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 10:21 AM

FamilySearch Family Tree - non-member logged in:
http://s17.postimage...uf7twf/fsft.jpg

NewFamilySearch - non-member logged in:
http://s10.postimage...7xo4w2x/nfs.jpg

#13 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3541 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 10:30 AM

Non-member of what? LDS, Family Tree?

Tom user of RM6314 FTM2014 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celtiwiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix_tiny.png app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#14 Ludlow Bay

Ludlow Bay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 780 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 10:53 AM

Non-member of what? LDS, Family Tree?

I am not a church member. I have access to both NewFamilySearch and FamilySearch FamilyTree.

#15 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3541 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 12:03 PM

I am not a church member. I have access to both NewFamilySearch and FamilySearch FamilyTree.

Same here. And since my message at the end of August, I can now edit my Family Tree. Not that I much want to; I'm too busy on Ancestry and I think FSFT may have a long way to go to catch up to its capabilities.

Tom user of RM6314 FTM2014 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celtiwiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix_tiny.png app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#16 GaryK

GaryK

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 12:10 PM

OK, they gave me access now. Here is the email:
Thank you for contacting FamilySearch again with the extra information regarding the third party programs who have a login to familysearch - that is really leading to https://new.familysearch. We have attached a document below that will provide you with that access - but some information about the site first may help you to decide if it is really one that you need.

new.familysearch is a program that has been used by LDS Church members on which to keep their own family ancestry. The program is used to collaborate with others in the site to obtain correctness in the family lines. Many of our details come from our membership in the Church.

If you gain access to the site by clicking anywhere on the blue link below, you will only see yourself! You will need to start adding your ancestors manually (although a gedcom can also be used) and maybe those ancestors will link to individuals who are already in the system.

You will also need to Add a helper access number, to help us easily help you if you have problems with the system. To do that, go to the home Page, click the link "Update my Profile and Preferences", enter your password again, scroll down the page that opens until you find Helper access. You will need to enter here 5 digits or characters or a mixture of both - but no more that 5.

Access to new.familysearch will also provide you with access to familysearch.org>Family Tree, which will display the same information you decide to add to new.familysearch. Family Tree is the replacement program for new.familysearch.

We hope that this information will help you with your registration problem and in your decision as to what you now would like to do.
Sincerely,

FamilySearch

________________________________________________________________________________

The new site does not find anything. However, I do have access now.

#17 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2042 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 06:42 PM

Gary, what do you mean by "The new site does not find anything."

#18 GaryK

GaryK

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 02:25 PM

Gary, what do you mean by "The new site does not find anything."

It may be me. I am new to all of this. However, when I click on the FamilySearch Icon, it always returns "No matches found." under the Possible matches column. When I use www.Familysearch.com for the same person, I find the data. I suspect that is what they were trying to tell me in the email above from FamilySearch.

#19 Glenn

Glenn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 04:13 PM

Your understanding of Ancestry.com is incorrect. It is your responsibility, as a user, to read the Terms and Conditions of every website you access. By doing so, you educate yourself with the facts, right from the source, and you prevent yourself from assuming, or spreading, mis-truths and half-truths. For Ancestry.com, that means clicking the appropriate link at the bottom of any Ancestry web page.

By submitting User Provided Content to Ancestry, you grant Ancestry, its parent company and all of its affiliates, a transferable license to use, host, sublicense and distribute your submission to the extent and in the form or context. . .
This is where I got my "disinformation" and crossed wires by trying to remember -- it sounded so ominous(?) Not the word I'm looking for. . .
. . .Ancestry acquires no title or ownership rights in or to any content you submit and nothing in this Agreement conveys any ownership rights in the content you submit to us.
. . .and this is what you were conveying -- Thank you.

As for ACDC, I can assure you that there is no relationship between an Australian heavy-metal band and the LDS church. ;)

Sorry :( -- “. . .my understanding of Ancestry” should have been worded “. . .Ancestry.com (AnCDotCom)” because I was aware of the band and didn't mean to connect them to the LDS church.

but

Glenn

#20 Sonapm

Sonapm

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:51 PM

For quite some time in the past, I used RootsMagic's FamilySearch search engine to obtain valuable information pertaining to my family tree, especially since most of the other engines are less productive unless one is a paid member. However, sometime in the last 4-5 months, I began having difficulty using FamilySearch from within RM. I hoped the problem would go away when I upgraded from RM V.5 to V.6 a few days ago, but it did not. From my web browser (Firefox), on the other hand, I can login to my account on the old FamilySearch.org site, but when I attempt to login to new.FamilySearch.org, the following message pops up:

Your account is not ready for new.familysearch.org.
Members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Please contact your ward clerk to ensure your Church membership record is correct and in your local unit. If your record is in order, the new FamilySearch website may not be available in your area.
Volunteers who previously used new.familysearch.org. Click here to combine your previous and new accounts.

Anyway, when I use RM to access FamilySearch.org, which appears to use the old site, a "busy" icon just keeps rotating interminably. I have even created a "Revised FamilySearch" button per instructions under "Manage Search Providers" using Firefox to do a generic search, and then copy/pasting the string to the new button. The search strings used by both the built-in and the revised engines are not identical, although quite similar, but both result in the same rotating "busy" icon.

So, my main question is this: why can I login from my web browser and access records at FamilySearch.org, but I cannot do so from within RM?