3 replies to this topic

#1 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3183 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 05:05 AM

This should be in the tracking system somewhere but since the subject has surfaced again on the forum, I would like to post my own idea as one of many needed reporting options pertaining to Place and Place details.

Many users are making good use of the RM ability to add Notes and Media to both Place and Place Details and this makes for a very interesting and historically important appendage to ones database, however there is a problem where RM is currently weak at reporting these details out again. I continue to build on this area of data entry knowing this shortcoming cannot be overlooked for long but it has already been overlooked for some years <_<

I would like to have an option to print an appendix of Places and Place Details in Narrative and Publisher to begin with. This would not be the complete Place List, that would be silly but at least those Places and Place Details which have been used in the production of the said report.

It would seem logical also to restrict this further to those Places and Place Details which have Media or Notes in existance, in other words something over and above the Place or Place Details name to contribute to such an appendix.

I feel reading a report where a further explanation or media was not available in such an appendix would encourage users to research and add any pertinent information to increase the qaality of report output.

Lastly I believe the text within {} curly brackets option needs to be considered as users should be free to make their own thoughts and research notes in Place and Place Details Notes without it automatically being printed in a report, this has also been raised before.

The handling of Place and Place Details has become a real strength in RM and I believe there is a real opportunity for a unique feature and sales point here which should not be overlooked or left until someone else picks up the baton.

If one accepts second best then quite often that's just what one will receive

— Dag Hammarskjold

Current user of Rootsmagic version 7.5.7.0, Family Tree Maker 2014 and Legacy 7.5 on Win 10

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7918 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 10:03 AM

Confirming enhancement requests are in our tracking system.
Renee
RootsMagic

#3 John_of_Ross_County

John_of_Ross_County

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Posted 15 February 2016 - 07:45 PM

I had posted this writeup about August 2013.  The comments virtually parallel those that Vyger made.

Proposal to implement printing of place notes

I have used the descriptive placename notes for a few items such as major Civil War battles or old historic battles in Old England.  However, they do not print as part of any general report. 

1] Add a checkbox to each placename.  The checkbox would enable printing of the place note if it exists.  If the place note for a placename is empty and the checkbox is enabled, it would be ignored.  The purpose of an unchecked box where a note exists would be for privacy of the note.  If the privacy brackets {} would work, this checkbox would not be necessary.

2] Add a user selection box to each report similar to [Index Options] and [Placename Options] in the Narrative Reports.  Print all placename notes referenced in this report if the checkbox for printing the place note is checked.  The placename notes would be best as a separate appendix. The placename or the expanded placename with the place detail name should be inserted as a header before each note.  The order of printout either forward or reverse should be the same as the printout of the placenames. This should work for place notes either in place details or in the older fully formed placenames.

3] I know that the Civil War was not a placename.  However, it works for me to use “Civil War” or “WWI” or “WWII” as placenames.  By extension, then “Civil War 149th OVI” for the 149th Ohio Volunteer Infantry works as a convenient placename for all relatives who served in that unit.  The Unit History from the National Park Service Civil War website can be added as a placename note for each unit defined as a place or as a place detail.  In conjunction with the proposed placename note appendix, this would result in just one Unit History printed no matter how many relatives listed in the report served in this unit. 

If you have a named cemetery with its place note, anyone included in the narrative report and buried in that cemetery would be listed following the name of the cemetery and the narrative about the cemetery as found in the place note.  This is in contrast to using the print option under “Lists” where it would print the desired placename note and everyone in the database listed for this place.

#4 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7918 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 09:39 AM

Confirming enhancement requests are in our tracking system.

Renee
RootsMagic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: PlacePlace Details, Reports, Appendix, Narrative, Geography, History