12 replies to this topic

#1 JPCarolus

JPCarolus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 01:18 PM

Is there somewhere within the program that would be a good place to insert "place notes?" I am entering decades of my mothers genealogy research. She has typed narratives describing how several ancestors helped found their town back in the 1800's and how some of these same ancestors were instrumental in building the church and etc. She also has narratives describing the towns in Germany where my ancestors came from. I would like to put the narratives somewhere associated with the place names (town and church) rather than breaking them down into individual person facts. Would like to someday place these narratives as chapters or sections in a book I want to create, and I'd prefer not to have them in a different program like as a word processor document. Any suggestions or insights?
Thanks so much,
Jennifer

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6268 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 01:31 PM

While you can add a Note for a Place and a Note for a Place Detail through the Place List > Edit Place, so far you cannot get them out through any built-in report, to the best of my knowledge.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 JPCarolus

JPCarolus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 02:00 PM

How do you add a note for a place or place detail? Fairly new to RM after changing from another program.

#4 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6268 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 02:12 PM

Help > Index > Place list:

To open a list of all the places that have been entered into the program, choose "Lists, Place list" from the main menu.
You can also open the Place list by clicking the place list button next to place fields in fact edit pane.
The Place list offers the following options:

Ÿ
Edit – Highlight the place that you want to edit and make your changes, and click Edit. After making the changes, click OK to accept the changes or Cancel to close the dialog without making changes. If you change a place to match another one in the list, RootsMagic will automatically merge the two places together for you. You can also enter the latitude and longitude of the place, as well as adding a place history or other comments about the place from the [url="""]"Place note"[/url] button , or adding place specific images or other media via the "Place media" button.

SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#5 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 03:12 PM

You can create a person, APPENDIXES:. Link this person as the last child of the beginning person.
Link children to APPENDIXES:

Appendix A - Smithville, James County, Arkansas. [Put your notes in the person [General] note]
Appendix B - First Baptist Church, Smithville, James County Arkansas

Then save the Narrative report as a .rtf or text file and clean up the Appendix part of the report.

Or if you are using Publisher, you could add text pages for each place Appendix you want. Reports, Publisher, Add menu, Other reports, Special sections, Text page. Copy the note for the place in the Lists, Place list and paste into the text page in Publisher.

#6 JPCarolus

JPCarolus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 03:17 PM

Thank you, Tom and Laura!!! The last paragraph in Laura's post is exactly what I wanted to do and wasn't sure how to go about it.

#7 JPCarolus

JPCarolus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 03:19 PM

and Tom, if I understand correctly, I can actually place a picture of the church into the place detail list through the edit? Cause that would be pretty exciting to me!

#8 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6268 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 04:21 PM

and Tom, if I understand correctly, I can actually place a picture of the church into the place detail list through the edit? Cause that would be pretty exciting to me!

Yes. Again, the output of media is pretty limited. You can output a Scrapbook for a Place and include photos for its Place Details, including captions and descriptions which must be kept very short if they are to fit on the page.

I knew Laura would come up with a workaround treating Places as People. So you could also consider putting Place images against the Place-Person (General) as she has suggested for the Notes. Only the Primary one will print in the narrative report but you can also print a Scrapbook for the Place-Person including all the images that have been ticked to be included in the scrapbook.

#9 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3434 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 02:14 PM

While you can add a Note for a Place and a Note for a Place Detail through the Place List > Edit Place, so far you cannot get them out through any built-in report, to the best of my knowledge.

I'm a bit late joining this thread as I am on vacation but this touches again on a long standing wish of mine regarding all the valuable Place and Place Detail Media and Notes.

I always envisaged an appendix similar to what Laura eluded to with the Place and Place Detail being presented in a fashion similar to the Individual Summary where the Place is the Individual and the Place Detail is the children. This of course needs to be presented in a fashion selected by the user, like whether to include Notes and Media.

How this would be applied would be an important consideration like if printing the Place List the option to print or not print Notes and Media seems obvious but should there also be an option only to print those entries that have been enhanced by the addition of Media or Notes.

My personal belief and desire was for an option in Narrative reports and Publisher to print any Places used throughout the report in an Appendix although this would only really be of interest where those Places or Place Details contained either Media or Notes to enhance the report.

Customers should never be frustrated by things they cannot do.

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.2, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#10 Glenn

Glenn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 03:46 PM

You can create a person, APPENDIXES:. Link this person as the last child of the beginning person.
Link children to APPENDIXES:

Appendix A - Smithville, James County, Arkansas. [Put your notes in the person [General] note]
Appendix B - First Baptist Church, Smithville, James County Arkansas

Then save the Narrative report as a .rtf or text file and clean up the Appendix part of the report.

Hi Laura:
Is your "beginning person" Record #1 and his/her "grandchildren" are as many appendixes as you need?

Record #1 in my DB is yours truly, so:

1: Glenn
11: First dau
12: 2nd dau
13 - 15: 3 sons
16: APPENDIXES
161: Appendix A - Smithville. . .
162: Appendix B - First Baptist. . .

Good real estate may be based on location, location, location;
but
good sources are based on citation, citation, citation!

Glenn

#11 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8491 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 06:55 PM

Confirming enhancement requests are in our tracking system.
Renee
RootsMagic

#12 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 07:24 PM

Hi Glenn,

You add the Appendixes as children to the focus person of the Narrative report.

Say, my Narrative report are the descendants of my fourth greatgrandfather Smith ancestor, William Smith.

I would link the Appendixes as the last children of that William Smith.

But, if I started the Narrative report with my second greatgrandfather, James Smith, instead, I would link the Appendixes as the last children of James Smith.

When I used to do this before Publisher became available, I did not leave the Appendixes linked as children permanently. I linked and unlinked them as I needed them for the Narrative report I was doing at the time.

Another thing, you could do is create the Appendixes as people and not link them as children and, using the Publisher, create a separate Narrative report for each Appendix person. Or you could link the Appendixes a parent, Appendix:, and do a Narrative report starting with that parent.

I much prefer using the Publisher and Text page now.

However, since there is now a Place index for the Narrative report and some other reports, perhaps the ability to print Place and Place details notes as a choice in the Place Index would work just as well as making an Appendix. Any pictures linked to the place could be printed in a scrapbook for that place.

#13 Glenn

Glenn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 11:15 AM

Hi Laura,

I thought I may have gotten a litte too focused :( ! Glad you helped me get out of the (focus) spotlight. Thank you. :)

Good real estate may be based on location, location, location;
but
good sources are based on citation, citation, citation!

Glenn