2 replies to this topic

#1 tio-geo

tio-geo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 08:01 PM

Ref: My other Post on suggested defaults

I have created a .jpg "photo" called "Need Photo" for individuals where actual photos are not available.

Is there a limit to how many times this one .jpg photo can be used? As I place "Need Photo" into an individual's "photo slot" (perhaps dozens of times in any one database), I find that sometimes the "Need Photo" takes, and sometimes it doesn't. I have tried backing up at regular intervals, and sometimes it keeps all duplicate "Need Photo"s, but sometimes it doesn't. It gets very frustrating not knowing if my work is saved or not.

Suggestions?

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6212 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 08:15 PM

AFAIK, you can attach the same photo to as many different things and as many times as you want. As long as you don't move its location or change its path, it shouldn't get disconnected. One possible explanation for the random disappearances could be that you restored from an older backup and reverted to a state before you tagged the photo in some places.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 12:27 AM

A long time ago in Family Origin days, I had a Blank jpg that I attached to persons. It didn't work all that well.

I created a user defined fact, Photo needed, with the description enabled. In the fact description, I enter Y for yes I have a person's photo or N for no I don't have a person's photo.

It works much better than attaching a blank photo as the fact is searchable, and I can print it in reports.

Another way to do it might be to create a user defined fact for Needed Data, and enter Photo, Birth, Marriage, Death, Residence, [whatever is missing for that person] in the description. Further details could be in the note. Then the description could be searched and printed in a report, Narrative, Family Group Sheet, etc. The description would also export in a gedcom if sharing with another person.

A possible sentence could be: NEEDED DATA for [Person]:< [Desc]>.

Another useful user defined fact I have is Tomb photo to print in a custom report when I go to cemeteries. Y and N for yes or no.

----------
I played a little more with the idea of a user defined fact that has needed data in the description field including a Photo with the object being to add the user defined fact to a Family Group Sheet and possibly a Narrative report or Individual summary or gedcom to be shared with someone else hoping to get information back from that person.

I created a user defined fact, *MISSING DATA* with the description enabled. The Principal sentence is: [Person] is missing this data: <[desc]>.

I linked the fact to the person's Edit person screen and sorted it to be the first fact in the fact list.

For that person, I needed a Photo, Marriage date, Death, Burial and Parents so I entered Photo, Marriage date, Death, Burial, Parents in the description.

In the Family Group Sheet the *MISSING DATA* fact was printed first for each person and would be read first for each person and hopefully que the person receiving the Family Group Sheet to provide me with the needed information.

I can go to the Fact list and choose whether to include this fact in that report before I make the report.

For a Family Group Sheet, another user defined fact which would be sorted before the *MISSING DATA* fact could be very useful. It is *DIRECTIONS* with possibly "Please provide any missing information and correct any information that is not correct."