• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Bill Brown

Bill Brown

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 01:12 PM

I have a recurring problem keeping my photos in the media gallery. I am running version 4.1.2.1. For a long time, I added photos from my hard drive and all was fine. Then, some time ago, photos began dropping out of media gallery -- I got the symbol a broken link. I have several photos in my tree and all but just a fw have now disappeared, leaving only the symbol for a broken link. Even after re-adding photos, soon they are gobe , leaving a broken link. I hav gone into "tools" --"fix broken link" to repair the link. It replaces a photo briefly, then it again disappears. One member suggested I be sure to place photos in a folder before inserting them. This workd briefly then they drop out again. What am I doing wrong?

Bill Brown in Texas

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7271 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 02:23 PM

Have you been moving the photos to a different location on your computer or renaming them? The link won't break unless you have done either.
Renee
RootsMagic

#3 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5541 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 02:37 PM

If the drive letter changes but all else stays the same, that also causes a broken link. That can happen if you use external drives and other devices on the same chain, e.g. USB, and plug them in or start them up in a different order.

Tom user of RM7230 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> Rmtrix_tiny.png app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#4 Bill Brown

Bill Brown

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 11:03 AM

Renee & Tom, many thanks to both of you for your helpful replies to my question about my photos losing their links to the media gallery in RM version # 4. Yes, I sure did move most of my photos from my hard drive to a photo program called "Picasa" - by Google on my computer. I did it so I could edit the pictures and improve the quality, then I renamed the photos & exported them back to my hard drive. A dumb move, but I was a beginner and didn't know any better. Now, obviously, RM can't find the photos under new names and the links are broken.
What can I do now? --rename those pictures so RM can find them and re-insert them in media gallery? How fo I find the original file names to fix the problem? Do I have to re-insert each photo individually or I can I add a bunch a time? Doing each one would be really time-consuming.
Again, thanks a lot for your generous advice. By the way, is there a phone number I can call to have a conversation about all this?

Bill in Texas

#5 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5541 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 12:43 PM

Picasa is pretty amazing but it does not keep track of the names you have changed. Rather, it makes it impossible to find your way back. When you edit an image in Picasa, the original file is not changed but Picasa filters its view with the processing parameters you have invoked in the editor. When you Save the revised image from the editor's File menu (not Save As), Picasa stores the original file in a Hidden sub-folder of its original folder called ".picasaoriginals" and writes the processed file with the same name in place of the original. Unfortunately for you but reassuring for others, if you then renamed and moved the new file using either Picasa or Windows Explorer, the original file gets the new name, too, and travels to a .picasaoriginals folder under the new file's new location! That's pretty amazing and I did not know it to be the case until I started investigating whether there might be a trail of original files in various .picasaoriginals folders.

I'm afraid you're left with matching up the thumbnail images you have in RootsMagic with the corresponding full images in Picasa and manually revising the path so that RootsMagic can find the files. Your work might be facilitated for people shots if you use the facial recognition and name tagging tools in Picasa first. Then for a given person in RM, you can use Picasa's Google Search to find any images with that person in them. Likewise, if you have captioned images in Picasa, its search could be helpful.

Tom user of RM7230 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> Rmtrix_tiny.png app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.