• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Kathren

Kathren

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 01:11 PM

Could anyone tell me if it is possible to define a fact as private (so coming up as private automatically whenever that fact is added to a person) rather than having to make it private on everyone? If not, then is there any way to make the fatc private on all people in my tree already?
Thanks, Kathren

#2 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 02:30 PM

You could edit the fact type so that it is not included in anything.

If you only wanted a percentage of them private, you could create as user defined fact, named the same with a "P" after it and edit that fact so that it is not included in anything.
Alfred

#3 Kathren

Kathren

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 03:20 PM

Thanks for the reply, but I am not quite sure what you mean. Exactly how do I edit the fact so that it is not included in anything?

Sorry I am proably being a bit dim here!

Kathren

#4 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8492 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 03:51 PM

Go to Lists>Fact Type Lists and highlight the Fact, then click Edit. On the bottom left section is an area "Include when:" you want to uncheck the options where you do not want it to print or be included.
Renee
RootsMagic

#5 John_of_Ross_County

John_of_Ross_County

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 663 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 07:13 PM

Go to Lists>Fact Type Lists and highlight the Fact, then click Edit. On the bottom left section is an area "Include when:" you want to uncheck the options where you do not want it to print or be included.

I had posted the following wish several years ago. If this concept were implemented, it would avoid setting and resetting fact options.

"Rootsmagic has the capability of regulating the use of each fact type as follows:

GEDCOM export: Yes

Website creation: Yes

Narrative reports: Yes

Family group sheets: Yes

Individual summaries: Yes

Printed lists: Yes

Each of these potential uses is independent of the other uses. These characteristics may be set for each fact type. Newly created user fact types also have these characteristics.

If you want to keep some information private, the fact types for that particular report to be shared need to be set to “No.” If you sent a GEDcom file to a cousin, the fact types that you want to keep private all need to be set to “No” under the GEDcom export setting. If you share a backup file of your database, you are sharing all of the data you may wish to keep private.

A new Rootsmagic improvement for setting these yes/no characteristics would consist of some type of bitmask array that would memorize settings for different type of reports. If you create Websites, you might want minimal information exported and many fact types would be set to “No” for Website creation. If you then wanted to make a GEDcom file for a cousin’s ancestors, you might want different settings on the GEDcom export of certain fact types compared with a GEDcom submitted to your local genealogical society.

For personal data security, you need to go back to the entire fact list and review the Yes/No settings before you create any public shared reports or data. If Rootsmagic had the feature for several named sets of bitmasks for the potential shared data environments, you would not need to go back to each fact type and keep resetting the Yes/No bits.

I could imagine implementation difficulties with adding and deleting fact types."

#6 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 09:54 PM

Some time ago, I created a new database, left it empty but edited all the facts so that none of them exported to a GEDCOM file.
I named it No-GED-Facts and backed it up.

Now, if I want to export a GEDCOM of just names and links, I can restore that backup and drag and drop the file or part thereof to it and export from there.

You could do a selective fact edit of an empty database so that you leave only birth and death facts or whatever you usually want to export.

In any case, I would not go through the main database and turn off certain facts. Work on a copy of it, or at least BACKUP before starting on the main file then restore it as soon as you have exported the GEDCOM as you want it. But that is only temporary, the empty backup can be used over and over again with all the latest data.
Alfred

#7 Glenn

Glenn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 04:15 PM

Some time ago, I created a new database, left it empty but edited all the facts so that none of them exported to a GEDCOM file.
I named it No-GED-Facts and backed it up.

Thanks for the tip, Alfred.
I just finished doing the same.

In any case, I would not go through the main database and turn off certain facts.

I don't think I've ever manipulated any of these on/off switches in my main DB, but just in case I have somewhere in the "dim past", is there any easy way to restore them to their original status?

Good real estate may be based on location, location, location;
but
good sources are based on citation, citation, citation!

Glenn

#8 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 06:11 PM

I don't think so.

But, it isn't too much of a chore to down arrow through the fact list while watching the right pane under Include to see if a "No" ever shows up.
Alfred

#9 Glenn

Glenn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 03:10 PM

I don't think so.

But, it isn't too much of a chore to down arrow through the fact list while watching the right pane under Include to see if a "No" ever shows up.

Much agreed with your assessment. It didn't take that long with my new blank No-GED-Facts DB. So, it should be just as quick with my main DB -- Maybe quicker if my memory is correct and I've never changed any switches. :)

Much obliged,

Good real estate may be based on location, location, location;
but
good sources are based on citation, citation, citation!

Glenn

#10 Kathren

Kathren

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 07:49 AM

Thanks for the info, I've got it now.
Think I was being rather dim

Kathren