• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 where.r.u.

where.r.u.

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 04:56 AM

When attempting to add 'some' data to the tree by selecting edit person then imputting the data onto the 'edit person' menu it saves to that menu but after closing the menu it fails to save that data for that person on the tree. for example I selected 'edit person' and added a marriage record, saved it, closed the edit person menu and it saved to the tree. In trying to add the birth/baptism records for the two people in the marriage record, and using the same method, the data was saved on the 'edit person' menu but failed to save to the tree. In going back into the 'edit person' menu both birth/baptism records were visible for each person. I tried deleting each of the two records and then re-saving them but without success. This is the first time I've had a problem with the process since downloading the software a couple of weeks ago. Can anyone offer any advice on how to remedy the problem.

Thanks

Mike

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5541 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 06:05 AM

Not sure what you mean by "saving to the tree". If on reopening Edit Person the events are there they were saved to the database. What screen were you looking at where you did not see them? And why RM4 which is superseded by RM5?

Tom user of RM7230 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> Rmtrix_tiny.png app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 where.r.u.

where.r.u.

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 08:15 AM

Hi Tom

I live in the UK and RM4 Essentials (free version) was offered on the RM website as a means of a try before you buy the latest version (RM5). The RM4 version I have provides only a Family View and a Pedigree View. Starting with the FV I click on 'Edit', select 'Person' which brings up a 'Edit Person' menu with the headings 'Add a Fact', 'Delete a Fact' and 'Options'. Select Add, highlight name to which the fact is to be added, I'm presented with a menu of 'Fact Types' (baptism's, birth's etc), highlight the fact type, click select and then add the data to the database presented, and then close the 'Edit Person' menu which takes me back to the Family View. As explained I have added three sets of data today using this process (2 x baptisms and 1 x marriage) but only the one set (1 x marriage) was added sucessfully and appears in the Family View. The baptisms do not appear in the Family View but they are visible in the Edit Person view. The marriage data on the other hand appears both in the Family View and the Edit Person view.

#4 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7271 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 08:52 AM

If you don't have a birth fact only the Christen fact will show up in replacement on the Family View. You will only see the Baptism fact on the Edit Person screen.
Renee
RootsMagic

#5 where.r.u.

where.r.u.

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 09:05 AM

Oh Dear!, why couldn't I think of that, smart boy wanted I think!, thank you so much Renee, much obliged.

Mike

#6 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5541 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 03:00 PM

Glad that worked out for you. RM5 Essentials is the free, subset version of RM5. Better to evaluate it than 4. No reason to get it from a UK site, afaik.

SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> Rmtrix_tiny.png app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#7 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2697 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 03:43 PM

No reason to get it from a UK site, afaik.

Aren't there U.K. specific customizations such as the spelling dictionary?

Jerry

#8 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5541 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 08:52 PM

I think you can choose the uk dictionary from the spell checker.

#9 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 10:53 PM

Eureka! I finally found it --- again!

If you try spell checking a note and it finds a misspelled word you get the "Spelling" window.
There will be some suggestions and in the bottom left corner an "Options" button.
Clicking on that button and choosing the language tab allows you to choose which of three dictionaries:
English, English(Australian) or English(UK).

I am assuming the first English should be followed by (American) :rolleyes:
Alfred

#10 where.r.u.

where.r.u.

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 12:34 AM

Problem now resolved, thanks to all who contributed in particular Renee.

Mike

#11 jrheintz

jrheintz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 11:04 AM

where.r.u.
I have RM4 and have a relative who is interested in genealogy, for a beganer, I am thinking of referring her to RMEsssentials5. 1) are these two versions compatable? If they are, would I be able to send a RM4 ged-com to her for inserting into the RMessentials5 program?
I have about 2400 entries in my RM4 database, and if can provide a gedcom of my database I can educate her in genealogy and the manipulation of data.
The entire plan will depend on the campatability of these two programs.

Thank you for your comments.

jrh

#12 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 12:11 PM

RM5 Essentials will restore a RM4 backup file. It will open and convert an RM4 database. And it will import a GEDCOM file from RM4.

I would send the backup as it is smaller and will transfer everything perfectly.

BUT, if she were to send you something, it would have to be a GEDCOM file because the RM5 file is a bit different than what RM4 can understand.
Alfred

#13 jrheintz

jrheintz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 04:09 PM

Alfred;

Thank you for your comments. I now need to convice an 78 year old to acquaint herselve with making the attempt.

Thnk you again for the great idea.

John