Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 03:55 PM

RootsMagic has a To Do List.

RootsMagic has a Correspondence List.

RootsMagic has a Research Log.

The problem, as I see it, is that the three are mutually exclusive of each other. If they were relational to each other, then RootsMagic could have the foundation of a true Research Management SYSTEM, which is sorely missing from the genealogy community, IMHO.

A number of years ago, Troy Adair made available a Freeware research database called Bygones. While it appeared to be long on complexity and short on esthetics, it was, nonetheless, functional. Since the software is not supported any longer, many have wandered away from its use, and fewer still are finding it, today. I do not believe that anything currently in development has come along to fulfill this need.

It would be my guess that many of today's users of RootsMagic have used, or perhaps, still use Bygones. If that is the case, I would appreciate any and all contributions to the topic of the Wish List item I am suggesting in this post. If there is no interest, feel free to ignore and let it die.

Paul

#2 nastrond

nastrond

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 05:31 PM

Hi,

I agree this additional functionality in RootsMagic would greatly enhance an already fantastic program. I for one would definitely utilise this for my one-name study

#3 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1355 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 12:03 PM

RootsMagic has a To Do List.

RootsMagic has a Correspondence List.

RootsMagic has a Research Log.
A number of years ago, Troy Adair made available a Freeware research database called Bygones. While it appeared to be long on complexity and short on esthetics, it was, nonetheless, functional. Since the software is not supported any longer, many have wandered away from its use, and fewer still are finding it, today. I do not believe that anything currently in development has come along to fulfill this need.

Paul

As I stated in another discussion on this. Clooz 3.1 is out and a new revision of the Clooz 2 with new programmers. Take a look. Many good changes... But would be nice if the two pieces TO do and Research Log were better connected and in RM. As stated above. :) For me less spreadsheet files of To Do lists. New manual http://cloozsetups.a...looz3Manual.pdf and a trial http://clooz.com/free_trial.php I use this now and better than Bygones in my opinoin
Genealogy:
"I work on genealogy only on days that end in "Y"." [Grin!!!]
from www.GenealogyDaily.com.
"Documentation....The hardest part of genealogy"
"Genealogy is like Hide & Seek: They Hide & I Seek!"
" Genealogists: People helping people.....that's what it's all about!"
from http://www.rootsweb....nry/gentags.htm
Using FO and RM since FO2.0 = Researching the families of William DeCoursey/cy b. 1756 Baltimore Co. MD found father Leonard DeCause..

#4 Paul Harris

Paul Harris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 09:38 PM

I agree this additional functionality in RootsMagic would greatly enhance an already fantastic program. I for one would definitely utilise this for my one-name study

Andrew,

Out of curiosity, it what particular ways would you like to see them relate to each other?

Paul

#5 Paul Harris

Paul Harris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 09:48 PM

As I stated in another discussion on this. Clooz 3.1 is out and a new revision of the Clooz 2 with new programmers. Take a look. Many good changes...

Yes, Nettie. In response to your other post I downloaded the new version, and quite frankly, I just don't get its value. If I am going to double enter all of my source information for research and parse all of the information into template fields, then I should be able to query that data any way I want, ie., show me a list of all marriage records I have entered in Morgan County, Ohio. I don't see any way to do that. I would like to see all of the fields for each census for an individual with similar data adjacent in the records. I don't see any way to do that. And what is with entering a birth certificate, but using the SAME template for details for the infant and each parent?

As I said, I just don't get it, but I don't want to digress from the subject of this thread. Perhaps I could PM you to learn more about how you find value in using Clooz?

Paul

#6 nastrond

nastrond

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 09:49 PM

Paul,

At present I am utilising email predominantly for correspondence and research tracking, rather than RM's correspondence log and research log. Due to the volume of correspondence I receive on the ONS, I find it difficult to track this within RM.

The to-do list is excellent, however again the volume and jumping around in the ONS tends to detract from using this.

Basically, if the To Do list, Correspondence list and Research Log were more tightly integrated, I would definitely commence using them for the ONS and my own genealogical research. This would assist greatly in stopping me revisiting some research multiple times and excluding other research altogether.

#7 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1355 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 08:48 AM

Paul to answer this, I am not using Clooz as it does not update RM like it does Leg.... There is potential as they are working on it. Do agree with both of you of all the jumping around in RM for those three items is a nuisance. <_< I take my To Do list in RM and the Problem list and make them into a Excel Spreadsheet To Do List and add columns to say they are done when done and add my own comments. :) [eventually will be directly into my Access database] Another issue I do not like in RM when you do update a To Do list item in the regular database, it annoys me that I have to go out of the Details for a person and go into the To Do list to say it is done. Working on mine yesterday, found about 10 items I had completed in 2004 and 2007 but did not update the RM To Do list. That is why I do mine in an Excel Spreadsheet with two monitors, then updating both software pkgs are easier to do and I have completed the work. Nor easy to do that in RM unless you have the same database opened twice and have not tried to do that since RM3.

Have only played a little with the RM Research log. Since I have been using Dollarhide's, Research Data Sheet for my notes and source identifications it is hard to go to something that does not include everything with out re-keying more than once. Twice once in RM Research Log and then differently into the Citation Manager/Details sheet per person. Programming could be an issue to get all the processes covered.

I also use OneNote for research note taking at a library/facility who are not on the internet. I keep my To Do for visiting lists there via research facility, used to be Evernote, but like OneNote better for organization. Luckily it is easy to take a laptop to a historical society library or a library but only some court houses. :) Especially when many of them do not allow scanning.

I think I have said enough....
Genealogy:
"I work on genealogy only on days that end in "Y"." [Grin!!!]
from www.GenealogyDaily.com.
"Documentation....The hardest part of genealogy"
"Genealogy is like Hide & Seek: They Hide & I Seek!"
" Genealogists: People helping people.....that's what it's all about!"
from http://www.rootsweb....nry/gentags.htm
Using FO and RM since FO2.0 = Researching the families of William DeCoursey/cy b. 1756 Baltimore Co. MD found father Leonard DeCause..

#8 Paul Harris

Paul Harris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 01:52 PM

Paul to answer this, I am not using Clooz as it does not update RM like it does Leg.... There is potential as they are working on it.

Nettie, thanks for the clarification. I have to agree there is potential there and I will continue to follow its development, but I do not find it useful as is.

To paraphrase the rest of your post: "All systems are just too kludgy to get any effective work done in an efficient manner!" I think I agree.

Paul

#9 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 3885 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 08:47 AM

Confirming enhancement requests are in our tracking system.
Renee
RootsMagic

#10 Nancy Wehner

Nancy Wehner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 12:40 PM

It would be REALLY useful if the Research Manager could be kept open in its own window while still being able to access the main file/edit screens, etc. Right now, for instance, I'm trying to set up prospective research logs for various individuals and familes in prepartion for an October research trip to SLC. So I'm looking at my RootsMagic file and identifying things I would like to look for, searching at the SLC Library website to identify films and/or books that might be of interest to look at, and then entering a research item in the Manager. When I'm in SLC, I'll fill in the search results, date, etc. The problem is that once I enter something in the Manager, if I want to go back to the file to identify the next thing I might want to look for I have to close out of the Manager, consult my file, then reopen the Manager, etc ad nauseum. And if I'm actively researching an item on the list (so its open) and I run across something (e.g. a possibly related name) that I need to check in the file, once again I'm having to go in and out, in and out. Frankly, its a pain. Nancy

#11 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 3885 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 01:02 PM

Confirming enhancement request is in our tracking system.

A work around is to open your desktop version of RootsMagic and also RootsMagic To-Go off your flash drive. I use both versions copy of the database so there is no confusion going on sharing the same file. With the two programs open you can see two views at the same time. Just remember to only write to one copy, it will make things easier.
Renee
RootsMagic

#12 Don Newcomb

Don Newcomb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 08:48 AM

Certain "new" features in RM need to be better integrated and easier to use. In particular the Research Log and Correspondence List could work better. Suppose I call someone and discuss what they know about a subject. I can't just open the Correspondence List and make notes during the conversation. If I do, I've locked up the rest of RM and can't access any of the data to ask questions. Once the conversation is done, what do I do with the correspondence log? Where is the link that allows me to cite the conversation as a source. The log is my documentation of that conversation. It should be citeable. Similarly, I wish I could work on the Research Log while looking at the data for the person or family. Also, wouldn't it be nice if the icons at the top of the window were different if they were "active". Am I wrong about this? Can you tell the difference if you have a Research Log or To-Do item for a person or family than if those items are empty?

#13 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2315 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 02:07 AM

I agree with Don and I did log a previous wish that at least the Correspondence List be linked to a particular person or family.

There are many new features in RM which deserve the microscope treatment from critical thinkers (systems analysis) and fed back. The Rootsmagician being the author would likely naturally overlook some missing functionality alkthough he should pick up through roadshows and demo's of the product.

All IMHO.
Software Comparisons - Place Management - How other software packages stack up.
Media Gallery (a critical look) - Written when RM4 was introduced but still applies today.

Relaxation is the key to life and this is where I get some time to relax and catch up on my hobby and research s the key to life and this is where I get some time to catch up on me genealogy work and research

#14 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2315 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 02:09 AM

Goes with Don's and other porevious requests, please add my vote for this.
Media Gallery (a critical look) - Written when RM4 was introduced but still applies today.

Relaxation is the key to life and this is where I get some time to relax and catch up on my hobby and research s the key to life and this is where I get some time to catch up on me genealogy work and research

#15 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 3885 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 10:09 AM

Confirming enhancement requests are in our tracking system.
Renee
RootsMagic

#16 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 3885 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 10:23 AM

I was trying not to Pin topics again but the enhancement to the Research Manager was getting to be a common theme. We had three threads going at once. I have merged all these threads together to keep the discussions together.
Renee
RootsMagic

#17 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2315 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 03:37 AM

I am very glad you did fo back to pinning, some of these items need better focus and I am sure it helps the Rootsmagician as well.

#18 bjantal

bjantal

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 07:53 AM

I like the ability to add a "to do" item to a research log/s. I WISH when you go into a to do list it would tell you if that item on the to do list is on a research log and which one/s.

#19 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 3885 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:23 PM

Adding a To-Do item to the Research Log does not maintain any link back to the To-Do item. If you edit the To-Do Item later you would not see the changes in the Research Log and vice versa. This allows you to use the same To-Do item, update it and resend it to a Research Log. This way you can also delete a To-Do Item and not have it effect the Research Log entry.

I will add you enhancement request but want to let you know what is happening in the background.
Renee
RootsMagic

#20 Serenity20061

Serenity20061

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 06:30 AM

I have spent the past two months looking at the various options available for a fully integrated Genealogy and Research Management system and just haven't found one that will do the job. RootsMagic has a great foundation and as you can see from the responses there is a huge demand for this functionality within the genealogy world. For those of us who are/have moved beyond the "novice" stage and are tracking our research and sources in great detail, finding an efficient method of recording our research is an absolute must. I am working on my professional certification and a detailed research log is part of the certification requirement. Once I move from hobbyist to professional, I will need a means of tracking my research time and efforts for clients. RootsMagic has the opportunity to fill a huge need in the genealogy market by creating a truly integrated Research Management system. (After spending quite a bit of time on various message boards for other software products, I can tell you that this enhancement request seems to be universal across all software applications.)

From a programming perspective, here are some of the enhancements needed to integrate the system:
  • A good example of the necessary functionality is the typical business contact management systems that link contact history to a person in the address book. In the genealogy program, would be a link between an individual to a correspondence or research log entry. Would be a many-to-many relationship (a person could have many correspondence items and a correspondence item could be linked to many people). A junction table with link between person and correspondence tables would do the job.
  • Create a similar many-to-many relationship between the research log and individuals in the tree.
  • Create many-to-many relationship between correspondence log and research log.
As for the discussion on having the research log / correspondence log / and genealogy tree open at the same time - this can be accomplished by detaching the various screen views and going from a tabbed view to a drop-down selection toolbar that would allow the user to customize the view on the screen. The user could select which views they want open and resize and reposition on the screen. The user should have the ability to save custom view(s) as a "saved setting" and either select the default view settings or custom view settings.

Just some thoughts that I would throw out there for discussion.