• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 agraywolfe

agraywolfe

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 10:18 AM

I am stuck I create a census family info for a husband and it asks to add a wife but not children that might be in the household. help what is the diffrence. Then for that family I add census for each child sourcing the original for that husband and wife. Then I attach a photograph of it.

am i making this to complex?

#2 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2073 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 10:54 AM

In RM, a family is actually considered to be a person and spouse. For consistency, I use the Census individual fact for everyone in the household rather than having a mix of the individual and family facts.

Another option to consider would be to attach the Census individual fact to the head-of-household, then share the fact with the others in the household. Its limitation is that the GEDCOM standard doesn't support shared facts, so if you plan to export a GEDCOM for use with another program, you might want to avoid them.

#3 agraywolfe

agraywolfe

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 06:35 PM

In RM, a family is actually considered to be a person and spouse. For consistency, I use the Census individual fact for everyone in the household rather than having a mix of the individual and family facts.

Another option to consider would be to attach the Census individual fact to the head-of-household, then share the fact with the others in the household. Its limitation is that the GEDCOM standard doesn't support shared facts, so if you plan to export a GEDCOM for use with another program, you might want to avoid them.

How I have been doing it is as follows

Husband census family Source and add photograph
Wife automaticly adds census family and photograph
Child 1 census then use above source for it and photograph. Which I just discovered I can add a photograph to a source itself and not to each individual person from the gallery. That might make a diffrence as well.
child 1