• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 CTLewis

CTLewis

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 03:18 PM

It would be helpful if there was a spell check function when you are reviewing the place list.

I know County Check can be used when entering new places, but that currently doesn't work if you have it turned off because you prefer not to always add the full state names and the United States of America to every listing.

A simple spell check woudl be useful on the Place List.

#2 nastrond

nastrond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 04:40 PM

However, not all places are in the US. How do you propose a spell checker would check places say in Israel or Wales?

#3 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1655 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 06:39 PM

I use Google or another search engine. One place name can have several different spellings depending on which state it is in. Not a good idea in the place name field. I do miss the old place list we had that we could go to.

Genealogy:
"I work on genealogy only on days that end in "Y"." [Grin!!!]
from www.GenealogyDaily.com.
"Documentation....The hardest part of genealogy"
"Genealogy is like Hide & Seek: They Hide & I Seek!"
" Genealogists: People helping people.....that's what it's all about!"
from http://www.rootsweb....nry/gentags.htm
Using FO and RM since FO2.0 

#4 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6268 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 08:13 PM

However, not all places are in the US. How do you propose a spell checker would check places say in Israel or Wales?

County Checker is not confined to USA but neither does it cover the world. Same is true of the Gazetteer. I think vyger has postulated a solution based on user defined extensions of such Place dictionaries. Maybe RM should offer a way for such extensions from third party providers to be linked into the program.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#5 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3435 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 12:59 AM

I know County Check can be used when entering new places, but that currently doesn't work if you have it turned off because you prefer not to always add the full state names and the United States of America to every listing.

I can't see how a spell checker would work for Places. I believe the task for the Rootsmagician is to overcome present user objections to County Checker and as Tom has indicated allow for some user defined table of proven Places, be they Places in currently non-supported Countries or Parishes, Townlands etc not presently available in County Checker or Gazetteer.

Customers should never be frustrated by things they cannot do.

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.2, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: spell check, place list