• This topic is locked This topic is locked
44 replies to this topic

#21 jhaufe

jhaufe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 06:04 PM

I noticed today that you can no longer combine duplicate records in NFS. Since FT has been released to the public, aspects of NFS have been discontinued. If you want to fix certain things in your own tree, you now have to go to FT to do that. Here are two situations that I came across today.

1. I found one person today that had some duplicate records and when I went to Family Tree to fix them. I wasn't able fix them in NFS or in FT. I had to then contact Family Search and have them do it for me. Though if you happen to find duplicates in FT, it has to be done there now, not in NFS.
2. I also found someone who had Two Fathers listed in NFS, but when I went to delete the relationship in FT, It had already been done by someone else. NFS still has both Fathers listed, but in FT, it has already been fixed.

So for your information. Family tree is becoming more accurate and there are certain things that you can no longer do in NFS. I have read that Rootsmagic hopes to be able to sync with FT by the beginning of next year, I hope that you are still on schedule with that.

Jennie

#22 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8363 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 11:24 AM

I know the NFS website has shut off combining, but it doesn't appear the the NFS API did. I am still able to combine duplicates inside of RootsMagic NFS feature. Of course if they are IOUS you can't. I just hope FamilySearch doesn't realize our program can still combine. It could be shut off at any time.
Renee
RootsMagic

#23 eeyorestud

eeyorestud

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 03:46 PM

However, I've noticed that even though the NFS API is allowing it. The information is not being sync'd with Family Tree.

#24 DoddemaGen

DoddemaGen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 08:12 PM

Any timeline on this?

#25 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8363 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 11:20 AM

If it was our timeline we would say right now. But it's FamilySearch's authorization that we are awaiting for.
Renee
RootsMagic

#26 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8363 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:40 PM

RootsMagic 6 was just released. It does not "YET" sync with FamilySearch Family Tree. It still has the ability to sync with New FamilySearch. When FamilySearch finalizes the system and allows us to release our support for Family Tree, it will be made available in a free update to RootsMagic 6.
Renee
RootsMagic

#27 Allan Kenworthy

Allan Kenworthy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:05 AM

It appears that the nFS combining functionality is being replaced by a quite different merge function in FT. Will RM6 mimic the same kind of merge function where you can pick and choose the specific facts or events to merge to the resulting individual?

#28 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8363 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:15 PM

I haven't seen our model yet, but I know our goal is to work seamlessly so the transition is easy for our users. Yes, some things will have to be a little different because of the new features added to Family Tree. We will support all the features available in the Family Tree API. We will just all have to wait and see what it looks like.
Renee
RootsMagic

#29 Allan Kenworthy

Allan Kenworthy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:14 PM

During the transition from nFS to FT, the RM matching and combining is still combining duplicate individuals in the nFS database, not the FT database. If we use RM to combine individuals in nFS, will our combining eventually migrate to FT? Should we be combining during this transition?

#30 Allan Kenworthy

Allan Kenworthy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:17 PM

Followup to my recent post...
And if we, or someone else, are also doing merges to the same individuals in FT, coincidental to our combining in nFS, will FamilySearch sort it out when it refreshes FT with nFS records?

#31 eeyorestud

eeyorestud

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 09:03 AM

In about May nFs moved the name information over to Family Tree. It is my understanding that there will not be another transfer of that information. Some information is syncing successfully but some is not. Family Tree has been officially released to the public and nFs is no longer a reliable application to be working with if you don't want to duplicate your efforts. As a result RootsMagic currently is not syncing with Family Tree so any online correlation you are doing in RootsMagic is futile.

#32 akmumzy

akmumzy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 10:29 PM

Is RootsMagic 5 able to sync with FamilySearch Family Tree yet?

#33 Lily59

Lily59

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:15 PM

@ akmumzy RootsMagic 6 will be synching with Family Tree. The last I heard it may be available in February. RM 5 wil not work with Family Tree.

#34 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8363 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 10:06 AM

To clarify that a little better. When we are given permission from FamilySearch to sync to Family Tree we will include that capability in a free update to RootsMagic 6 only. At that time the NFS sync will be removed from RootsMagic 6 and the FamilySearch Family Tree sync will take its place. No time frame yet when this will all happen.
Renee
RootsMagic

#35 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8363 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:43 AM

Posts that related to a research question have been moved to a new thread "Research Questions" located under General Message - http://forums.rootsm...earch-question/
Renee
RootsMagic

#36 bookwalk

bookwalk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 11:59 AM

I see that Famly Tree has officially been made public. However, as with most serious genealogy researchers, SOURCES are the key to doing proper merges and edits on other people's ancestors.

I see that SOURCES have not yet been migrated over from new FamilySearch so, unfortunately, the general public will get a first view of a system that is not ready with SOURCES.

I have a tree on my desktop with 10,000 sources. I do not plan to add them one by one to the Source Box, so anyone finding any of my ancestors will have nothing to go by as far as data validity.

ALL I CAN HOPE FOR is that RM will VERY SOON provide a way for me to synch my sources in from my RM Data to FT.

Any idea when that might happen!

Thanks, Pat

#37 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8363 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 02:01 PM

FamilySearch has not completed the API for us to sync with Family Tree. Deadlines for its completion have come and gone. So we have no idea when it will be ready at this point.
Renee
RootsMagic

#38 Ludlow Bay

Ludlow Bay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 867 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 02:34 PM

FamilySearch has not completed the API for us to sync with Family Tree. Deadlines for its completion have come and gone. So we have no idea when it will be ready at this point.

Just think of all the additional RM features that owners could be using right now, had major resources not been directed to pie-in-the-sky FamilySearch integration .....

#39 bookwalk

bookwalk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 03:34 PM

Does RM have any input into the API development?

I can't imagine the damage to be done by new users coming in and, without detailed source citations on events, as well as persons, start merging and deleting randomly.

I would like to pull my tree out of FT and submit to Pedigree Resource File which does allow sources and can't be changed, merged, or deleted.

#40 Jay H

Jay H

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 12:24 PM

Now that FSFT was released to everyone this Tuesday, March 5, is there any word about the full API? I'm sure everyone is eager to sync RM6 up with the new FSFT.