21 replies to this topic

#21 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 06:14 PM

I would probably enter the Given and Patronym for the name(s) or however I want the name to print in a report.

Then I would add a separate Alternate name fact for the name with each farm name perhaps in the Suffix field. Decide if you want the Alternate name facts as Private or if you want to them to print and customize the sentence to make sense in a Narrative report.

When I have various spellings of a surname, I choose one and add an Alternate name fact with that spelling of the surname to each person so I can look in one place on the Indexes and mark them Private. The person's surname spelling is the spelling most used on their records.

Tom Smith
No alternate name needed

Name: James Smithe
Alternate name: James Smith

Name: John Smythe
Alternate name: John Smith

On the Index, it will be sorted as:

Smith, Tom
Smith, James [Alternate name icon]
Smith, John [Alternate name icon]
Smithe, James
Smythe, John

#22 Anneli111

Anneli111

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 06:08 AM

I tried using Alternative name the farm name in the Suffix field as you suggested and it works great. Then I used the relation in surname (actually the patronym) e.g. Johans son, and the given name as it should.
It views in list as "Mattila farm, Johans son Anders"

It gave exactly what I needed, sorted per farm, also get the relationship for the father in a much better way than using brackets as I did previously.

Thank you Laura.