• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Lynn A Christiansen

Lynn A Christiansen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 02:42 PM

One can have the program calculate the Rleationship involving "direct" line individuals. However, as one researches and finds individuals that are related to individuals that "marry" into the direct line the program does not calculate the relationship.

I would suggest an update that would perform that service and in the Relationship designation that "in-law" be included, for example, "cousin-in-law twice reomved"

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6213 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 04:43 PM

I think that is too ambiguous. Ancestry.com does it without "in-law" except for the immediate ones, e.g., " paternal grandmother of husband of niece of wife of grand uncle"; clear, unambiguous.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8413 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 10:47 AM

Confirming enhancement request is in our tracking system.
Renee
RootsMagic

#4 John_of_Ross_County

John_of_Ross_County

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 05:49 PM

Several versions ago ,maybe RM Ver 3, the relationship chart explicitly showed 1/2 cousins on the chart. The current version shows 1/2 cousins by implication by just listing the common father or mother at the top of the chart. Full cousins are shown with both the father and mother at the top of the chart. It would be nice to restore the half notation.

#5 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 06:20 PM

I just checked on the version three relationship calculator between myself and a "half" cousin. It just says "first cousin" and lists my grandfather as the common ancestor. It looks much the same as the version five relationship calculator.

So version three isn't much different in that regard.

FOW 10 listed the same, but it only lists my grandfather (RM lists both grandparents) when calculating a full first cousin.

I didn't check earlier FOW or RootsMagic 1 or 2.

=============

OK I got chart and calculator mixed up, Version 3 does say "half first cousins" in the chart.
Alfred

#6 Lynn A Christiansen

Lynn A Christiansen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 09:40 AM

Maybe I am asking for to much but this is an example of what I have

I have a 3rd Great Granduncle, his name and event data, he is married,
His wife, I have her name and event data, however, her relationship identification is blank as well as her entire lineage,

It would be great "I think" to have her identified as my "3rd Great Grandaunt in-law" or "3rd Great Grandaunt by marriage" etc.

As I look at some of my individuals I can not 'id' their relationship although I have a single "Count Trees"

#7 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1636 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 11:22 AM

A Descendancy Chart will also give who is married to whom. I would rather have that then the tag like it was in RM3.

Genealogy:
"I work on genealogy only on days that end in "Y"." [Grin!!!]
from www.GenealogyDaily.com.
"Documentation....The hardest part of genealogy"
"Genealogy is like Hide & Seek: They Hide & I Seek!"
" Genealogists: People helping people.....that's what it's all about!"
from http://www.rootsweb....nry/gentags.htm
Using FO and RM since FO2.0 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Relationships